Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommend two songs each please

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Quo - Rockin all over the world
    Tom Robinson band  - 2 4 6 8 Motorway
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    edited January 2016
    Anything by
    Stones
    Beatles
    TREX
    Bowie

Take your pick
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    tiger feet
    back in black (always works whatever the pub)
    mr brightside and Sex on fire which is wot @moss said
    i will survive (gold plated success)
    monster
    chelsea dagger
    i love rock n roll

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2016
    Billy Idol, Rebel Yell 
    Oasis, Cigarettes and Alcohol 

Both go down a storm round here.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    Blame it on the Boogie and Move Your Feet are pretty much guaranteed floor fillers for us, whatever the audience.
    Rock stuff at family gatherings just bores everyone except the guy with the grey ponytail at the bar.

THIS IS SO VERY TRUE...........seen exactly that sad stereotype in said situation so many times
    Could be even worse tho'..........Sunshine of your love ..anybody ?
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2804
    Need to listen to Sex on Fire.......shows how many parties I go to these days.......

I'm not sure Cream songs should be played anywhere, anytime.  Even by Cream.
  • Well, you're in luck with that last bit....

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72390
    Can't Get You Out Of My Head
    Hit Me Baby One More Time

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I've always fancied doing something along these lines but with the full band, (not sure if this counts as one or like 4...but it's awesome anyways):

Man I love that!
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited January 2016
    Sorry to thread hi-jack but these are also awesome!

Bohemian Rhapsody is amazing:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • for us sadly as I don't really like them that much, the ones that always seemed to get a big reaction were sex on fire, and la bamba.

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• Yup, if you're playing to a random group of strangers, you'd be daft not to learn Sex On Fire, cos someone is going to come and ask for it, almost 100% guaranteed.

I'd make a point of not learning it, so you can say no with confidence.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:

Why would you not want to play a song that is really popular and goes down well? Ok so it's 3 or 4 minutes of your life you won't get back, but it's 3 or 4 minutes that could totally turn the gig around. If a band is serious about playing functions etc, they have to leave their personal tastes at home.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2016
    Why would you not want to play a song that is really popular and goes down well? Ok so it's 3 or 4 minutes of your life you won't get back, but it's 3 or 4 minutes that could totally turn the gig around. If a band is serious about playing functions etc, they have to leave their personal tastes at home.
    Because it feeds the ever-decreasing circle of playing the same boring crap that most boring covers bands play. There are tens of thousands of great, well-known songs out there - you only need to play twenty or thirty at a gig, why pick just the ones that have already been done to death? Just because it's all some punters seem to be able to remember at the end of an evening.

You can turn a gig round far more effectively with a rocked-up version of something unexpected, and you'll be remembered for that much more than for being yet another band that plays the same dull stuff everyone does. Have some imagination. You might even be remembered after they've sobered up...

There isn't much in life I find more tedious than having to listen to a covers band plodding through the same old set list at a wedding or something. If I'm in a pub I tend to leave.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    ICBM said:
    Because it feeds the ever-decreasing circle of playing the same boring crap that most boring covers bands play. There are tens of thousands of great, well-known songs out there - you only need to play twenty or thirty at a gig, why pick just the ones that have already been done to death?

You can turn a gig round far more effectively with a rocked-up version of something unexpected, and you'll be remembered for that much more than for being yet another band that plays the same dull stuff everyone does. Have some imagination.
    I don't disagree but if your audience is someone's family and friends most of whom never see live music from one year to the next then expectations become pretty safe. If you are playing the local circuit then something to stand out and get you remembered is a good idea but not many people want a thrash metal version of Too Sexy For My Shirt at their wedding. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2016
    ICBM said:

This. It's not high art we're doing in covers/function bands, it's playing well known songs for people to dance to and have a good time...and the majority of people at these gigs do dance and have a good time to Sex on Fire, Mr Brightside, Brown Eyed Girl etc etc.

We have a few reworked and rocked up versions of lesser known tracks, but the big hitters in the set are the obvious ones, and if we don't play them we'll get asked for them.

It's bloody good fun to play to a packed crowd all singing along.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    I'd focus on doing humorous versions of songs about age/ageing.

Dub-Reggae version of 'My Generation'.
    Ska version of 'Mrs Robinson'.
    Metal version of 'September of my Years'
    Steely Dan's 'Hey Nineteen' done in the style on Johnny Cash.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Cant Explain - The Who
    Last Time - The stones.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2804
    octatonic said:
    I'd focus on doing humorous versions of songs about age/ageing.

Dub-Reggae version of 'My Generation'.
    Ska version of 'Mrs Robinson'.
    Metal version of 'September of my Years'
    Steely Dan's 'Hey Nineteen' done in the style on Johnny Cash.
    Perhaps a humorous version of Sex on Fire as a compromise?  (that's a joke)

As you've mentioned Steely Dan, Reelin' in the years may suit a 50th?

Thanks for all these suggestions - there's plenty of variety here to keep both us and the audience happy.  I can understand the requirement and consequent frustration of having to perform certain songs all the time.  It was interesting following RocknRollDave's suggestion and checking out the professional web-sites - in my naivety I never realised audiences were so standardised in their wants - but I guess the bottom line is "having a good time" whatever that really means.

Further down the line I'll let you know the set list we finalise on (could be months away) for your amusement/shock/scrutiny.  But keep suggesting if you'd like.  I was keen to do Blame it on the Boogie and three days later I'm already off it!