anybody tried Lazy J amps

What's Hot

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader
    Great to see Lazy J getting so much love these days. Jesse was the local amp repair guy here in Croydon when I set up my workshop here and we used to take in amp repairs for him. Nice guy - very laid back.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kelv_wkelv_w Frets: 260
    Jesse should join us here in the forum :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    £330 including VAT. I know cos I just asked him 3 days ago for mine to me added :)
    jaygtr;14940" said:
    [quote="Barney;14935"][quote="jaygtr;14902"]Quick update, they are £1620 basic, although they come with vac as standard and the waiting list is about 20 weeks. The is a £500 deposit too.

I am really tempted!

I will get the calculator out in a minute
    Have you any idea how much the reverb is s as a extra please... :)[/quote]

He did say but I didn't write it down, £300+ though .[/quote]

Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    kelv_w;14960" said:
    Jesse should join us here in the forum :) 

Not if I'm about to order one, I don't want anything slowing him down!

:)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    I have no affiliation but someone has listed a loaded J20 for sale on ebay... crazy fool!
    Bargain ;)
  • Would love to try one. When I visited the Gigrig I know Dan was raving about them, but I never plugged into one
    That's where I tried my first lazy J20. Dan was more than happy to let m plug in ;)
  • :) We were running into another amp. I forget which. I was more enthralled with his vintage '61 LP Junior - beeeeautiful playing and sounding guitar.
  • RigsbyRigsby Frets: 62
    I'm really GASing for a J20 based on all the reviews I can find but don't think that there's any way of trying one (especially here in Scotland) before making the commitment. :-S

Rigsby said:
    I'm really GASing for a J20 based on all the reviews I can find but don't think that there's any way of trying one (especially here in Scotland) before making the commitment. :-S
    I have one. It's the only amp I've truly liked. It's a keeper and can't see ever getting rid except in utter financial circumstances and have to sell. What do you need to know?

I have one. It's the only amp I've truly liked. It's a keeper and can't see ever getting rid except in utter financial circumstances and have to sell. What do you need to know?
    Did you get a chance to demo one before you bought it? Just that I normally like to try an amp before splashing the cash. I tend to mic up when playing with a band, so I guess that the J20 will be plenty loud? I'm mainly playing rock and blues with a bit of punk thrown into the mix, so I don't have a great need for cleans. Predominantly using P90 or humbucker loaded guitars. When it's really cranked how dirty does it get? Does it handle drive pedals well without getting too saturated? Did you get the VAC? If so, how well does it work without losing any of the nuances of the amp? Cheers
    I tried a friends J20 to be honest but even before then I was pretty certain it was the amp for me. It will be certainly loud enough I can assure you that it is perfect for a blues rock band etc. I never turn it up further than 4 really as from then on it just gets more compressed which I don't like personally. It loves pedals so fear not there. However, for overdrive I use the lazy J Cruiser Deuce which I also recommend you getting. Definitely get the VAC that in my opinion is a must have and it is so great. There are some sound files on Lazy J website somewhere if I remember correctly, demonstrating the VAC.

Hope it helps. If you think of any other questions just ask :)
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. I've seen a few people mentioning sound clips on the website but I can't seem to locate them. There's a few youtube videos of Vintage Trouble, Joe Bonamasa ...etc. but I've not been able to find Jesse's own clips. I'll have another look. I recently emailed Jesse about getting the latest prices / options..etc. but haven't heard back from him yet. Cheers
    If I was at home I could email you the price list 'cos I produced a pdf for him last year. I don't know if he still sends them out but by the time I get back home by the weekend he'll get one over to you of some shape or form. I think the sound files might be on an old website of his.. I'll see if I can find them for you again
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Rigsby said:

Did you get a chance to demo one before you bought it? Just that I normally like to try an amp before splashing the cash. I tend to mic up when playing with a band, so I guess that the J20 will be plenty loud? I'm mainly playing rock and blues with a bit of punk thrown into the mix, so I don't have a great need for cleans. Predominantly using P90 or humbucker loaded guitars. When it's really cranked how dirty does it get? Does it handle drive pedals well without getting too saturated? Did you get the VAC? If so, how well does it work without losing any of the nuances of the amp? Cheers
    How dirty it gets depends on what valve you have as the first pre-amp valve.

I have a 12AY7 as per 50's Tweed Deluxes which gives some clean headroom, although its a warm, full sounding clean compared with something like a Blackface.  Given how loud the Celestion Blue is, its quite a respectable level if you need it.  You'd need to mic it for a gig with a really drummer though if you want it to stay clean.

If you go for a 12AX7 (ECC83) in the first position it will get dirty very quickly, with very little, if any, clean headroom.  So if you just want dirty sounds that may be the way to go.

It handles drive pedals brilliantly.  I tend to run mine on the edge of breakup so that it sounds clean if I play gently but has some hair when I hit the strings hard.  When I add a drive pedal it will be pushing the amp harder so it's a combination of pedal drive and amp drive.

Thanks for your help, I'll give them a listen later.
    crunchman said:
    How dirty it gets depends on what valve you have as the first pre-amp valve.

I have a 12AY7 as per 50's Tweed Deluxes which gives some clean headroom, although its a warm, full sounding clean compared with something like a Blackface.  Given how loud the Celestion Blue is, its quite a respectable level if you need it.  You'd need to mic it for a gig with a really drummer though if you want it to stay clean.

If you go for a 12AX7 (ECC83) in the first position it will get dirty very quickly, with very little, if any, clean headroom.  So if you just want dirty sounds that may be the way to go.

It handles drive pedals brilliantly.  I tend to run mine on the edge of breakup so that it sounds clean if I play gently but has some hair when I hit the strings hard.  When I add a drive pedal it will be pushing the amp harder so it's a combination of pedal drive and amp drive.
    Cheers Crunchman..... although there are some amazing drive pedals around it would seem a crime to use them for the crunch/drive sound if the overdrive from the amp itself is as good as everyone says. As I mentioned earlier, I really don't need much in the way of clean headroom, so ECC83s would be a good shout for me. I'd just be looking at using a pedal like a 2nd channel / solo boost
  • I completely echo all of the positives in this thread for Jesse and his amps. 
    Top guy and so willing to help at any stage of the purchase process. I've had my J20 for quite a while now,
    ( bought from a FBF member ) and it's the complete package.
    Worth every penny IMHO.
    "You play an accordian, you go to prison - that’s the law…."