anybody tried Lazy J amps

What's Hot

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Rigsby said:
    crunchman said:
    How dirty it gets depends on what valve you have as the first pre-amp valve.

I have a 12AY7 as per 50's Tweed Deluxes which gives some clean headroom, although its a warm, full sounding clean compared with something like a Blackface.  Given how loud the Celestion Blue is, its quite a respectable level if you need it.  You'd need to mic it for a gig with a really drummer though if you want it to stay clean.

If you go for a 12AX7 (ECC83) in the first position it will get dirty very quickly, with very little, if any, clean headroom.  So if you just want dirty sounds that may be the way to go.

It handles drive pedals brilliantly.  I tend to run mine on the edge of breakup so that it sounds clean if I play gently but has some hair when I hit the strings hard.  When I add a drive pedal it will be pushing the amp harder so it's a combination of pedal drive and amp drive.
    Cheers Crunchman..... although there are some amazing drive pedals around it would seem a crime to use them for the crunch/drive sound if the overdrive from the amp itself is as good as everyone says. As I mentioned earlier, I really don't need much in the way of clean headroom, so ECC83s would be a good shout for me. I'd just be looking at using a pedal like a 2nd channel / solo boost
    Well Jesse's cruiser pedal is just what you need then. I get all my tone from the amp and kick in the cruiser for the lead work. Of course the Deuce will give you that additional level should you need it. The only other pedals I use is a Mobius and an El Cap. Oh and a compressor which basically stays on all the time. Only because I keep forgetting to turn it off :) That's all you need isn't it :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RigsbyRigsby Frets: 62
    Reckless1 said:
    I completely echo all of the positives in this thread for Jesse and his amps. 
    Top guy and so willing to help at any stage of the purchase process. I've had my J20 for quite a while now,
    ( bought from a FBF member ) and it's the complete package.
    Worth every penny IMHO.
    I think I saw one for sale a long while back on Music Radar Forum but really can't recall any others for sale "pre-owned"
  • Rigsby said:
    Cheers Crunchman..... although there are some amazing drive pedals around it would seem a crime to use them for the crunch/drive sound if the overdrive from the amp itself is as good as everyone says. As I mentioned earlier, I really don't need much in the way of clean headroom, so ECC83s would be a good shout for me. I'd just be looking at using a pedal like a 2nd channel / solo boost
    That's the ticket...I have mine crunchy enough to do all rhythm duties (roll back vol if required)...clean enough that you get a good boost from the left side of the Cruiser Deuce...adding the right side just thickens things up.

From your description, I can't imagine you'll be anything less than ecstatic about it ;)
  • Rigsby said:
    I think I saw one for sale a long while back on Music Radar Forum but really can't recall any others for sale "pre-owned"
    That was probably me...it was up for sale along with its J40 brother!
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Not in the market for a £2k combo at the moment but, after reading all the glowing comments in this thread, I'm seriously tempted to fork out £40 for the Amp Factory Lazy J profile pack for my Kemper!
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Rigsby said:
    Reckless1 said:
    I completely echo all of the positives in this thread for Jesse and his amps. 
    Top guy and so willing to help at any stage of the purchase process. I've had my J20 for quite a while now,
    ( bought from a FBF member ) and it's the complete package.
    Worth every penny IMHO.

They come up occasionally on eBay, just recently there were 2 fully loaded ones on at the same time - bet there won't be another for months now, always the way. They are really holding their value now as the wait time increases, already starting to become a modern classic.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    Best amps ever! Just back from rehearsals. Was using the J40 for everything from pink Floyd to ac/dc tonight.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Argghhhh, well that's the trigger pulled, deposit paid. Thanks to all you guys for your feedback and to Hotpickups for the link to Jesse's sound clips. Now the ..... WAIT :P
    edited February 2014

Rigsby said:
    Argghhhh, well that's the trigger pulled, deposit paid. Thanks to all you guys for your feedback and to Hotpickups for the link to Jesse's sound clips. Now the ..... WAIT :P
    LOL I knew you would. Seriously you won't regret it. Yeah I remember that wait, it seemed like eternity :)

What did you go for, J20. J40, tremolo and reverb? Cruiser too?
    LOL I knew you would. Seriously you won't regret it. Yeah I remember that wait, it seemed like eternity :)

I play in three different bands and gig with a few different amp depending on which band and venue size (Bogner Ecstacy 101B, Blackstar HT60, Cornford Road House) and I'm not a big user of reverb on any of my set ups, so have just gone for the basic J20 with VAC. Also I've got a load of drive and boost pedals that I'll try with it first before deciding whether to order a Cruiser.
  • Rigsby said:
    LOL I knew you would. Seriously you won't regret it. Yeah I remember that wait, it seemed like eternity :)

I play in three different bands and gig with a few different amp depending on which band and venue size (Bogner Ecstacy 101B, Blackstar HT60, Cornford Road House) and I'm not a big user of reverb on any of my set ups, so have just gone for the basic J20 with VAC. Also I've got a load of drive and boost pedals that I'll try with it first before deciding whether to order a Cruiser.
    Very sensible Rigsby :) I had a roadhouse too before my J20.  May go for a J40 next time but I won't be selling the J20 though :) 

Let us know nearer the time you get it. I will look forward to hear your thoughts about it :)
    I previously had a Cornford Hurricane but moved it on when I bought the Roadhouse. I've got a RH30 combo and like it so much that I then got an RH50 head. When cranked, they really are fantastic sounding amps IMHO. But once the J20 comes... who knows. All the comments that I've read from owners, say that they're the best amp they've ever owned. So maybe all the others will end up in the Classified section  ;)
  • SetzerSetzer Frets: 37
    Congratulations! I pulled the trigger on one a few months ago and still have until the end of April to wait on mine and the time is dragging in something terrible although the wait has given me time to make sure I have the money put aside so Im trying to convince myself that the wait is a good thing!

Valar Morghulis
    tFB Trader
    I know this probably won't help the wait time that some of you now have (good work by the way, you'll never look back!) but here's a cracking demo on YouTube of a J20:

If this doesn't sell it to you, then nothing will! :-)
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2014
    Rigsby said:
    I previously had a Cornford Hurricane but moved it on when I bought the Roadhouse. I've got a RH30 combo and like it so much that I then got an RH50 head. When cranked, they really are fantastic sounding amps IMHO. But once the J20 comes... who knows. All the comments that I've read from owners, say that they're the best amp they've ever owned. So maybe all the others will end up in the Classified section  ;)
    Blimey we've had a similar sound search Rigsby. Had a Hurricane then a Hellcat then a JTM45 then a Roadhouse and now a J20.
    tFB Trader
    I used a J20H in stereo with a Marshall 1974x on Friday evening. It was a nice combination but, ultimately, the J20 outperformed it in every way.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Own a hurricane and a J20.... Seeing a pattern emerging! Funny considering that both amps are so different...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Own a hurricane and a J20.... Seeing a pattern emerging! Funny considering that both amps are so different...
    Maybe its the boutique thang :)

• Temperance Movement play through Lazy J's.  They sound very nice indeed.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Cacofonix;152864" said:
    Temperance Movement play through Lazy J's.  They sound very nice indeed.

I didn't realise this.

The album is full of very tasty tones, that may explain why.