AX8

What's Hot
cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
edited February 2016 in FX
I think my cat approves it:

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• t0nit0ni Frets: 45
    Very cool. I´ve been thinking about getting one of these. Is there a noticeable difference between this one and the rack versions?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    well boys how about it
    put the pussy to one side and tell me how it sounds!
  • I just wish my FX8 lit up like that !!!!

ENJOY :)
  • Looks great.  What are you guys plugging these in to?  
  • Looks great.  What are you guys plugging these in to?  
    Mine's plugged on a Mackie DML8. Very small and ridiculously loud, no hassles at all, just plugged in and all patches sounds incredible .. I had a FX8 and wasn't convinced but this thing has just blown my mind completely!
  • @cbellanga - I must say mate, with me as the new FX8 fanboy (!), i was surpeised at your FX8 findings. Your description of the AX8 straight out of the box mirrors mine.

So glad youre enjoying it :)

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I've had mine running into the power amp on a bogner mojado 112 combo while making some presets this afternoon, but it will mostly gig into a fender twin.   Initial thoughts are that it sounds great and is easier to operate than than fx8 - more knobs for slightly quicker tweaking.  I suspect there will be less risk of running out of cpu headroom with the amp section reducing the need to drive and eq blocks. 
    A thought about the quality - I started thinking I could sell my evh stack and use this for rock gigs.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So, I'm guessing you guys are loving these things then? 

• So, I'm guessing you guys are loving these things then? 

Lynden, Im still in utter shock at my FX8. Ive sold virtually every pedal i own, and my Gigrig G2, as a result...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So, I'm guessing you guys are loving these things then? 

So far I'm impressed - I'll report back after this weekends gigs.    
    Setup some presets using double verb, HBE and evh red models that will get me going, hopefully the amp knobs will let me adjust things on the fly even quicker so the next test is how it feels at volume against a drummer. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Why do cats always have to look so reproachful?
    Like you should've spent the money on salmon fillets or chicken breasts.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @cbellanga - I must say mate, with me as the new FX8 fanboy (!), i was surpeised at your FX8 findings. Your description of the AX8 straight out of the box mirrors mine.

So glad youre enjoying it :)

I didn't like the drives on the fx8 .. coming from a Paul Cochrane Tim as a reference, never managed to get a natural "edge of breakup" sound out of it. Everything else was really good indeed but the AX8 is another level with the amps .. amazing control using the volume on the guitar as expected. I agree with you about selling my pedals now (apart from the Tim) :)
  • Be interested to hear how you get on running this in front of a twin (IIRC there's no loop so you can't bypass the preamp). Are you using the speaker resonance modelling?
    John_P said:
    I've had mine running into the power amp on a bogner mojado 112 combo while making some presets this afternoon, but it will mostly gig into a fender twin.   Initial thoughts are that it sounds great and is easier to operate than than fx8 - more knobs for slightly quicker tweaking.  I suspect there will be less risk of running out of cpu headroom with the amp section reducing the need to drive and eq blocks. 
    A thought about the quality - I started thinking I could sell my evh stack and use this for rock gigs.  

Be interested to hear how you get on running this in front of a twin (IIRC there's no loop so you can't bypass the preamp). Are you using the speaker resonance modelling?
    John_P said:

In the past I've found the twin is so clean and has enough headroom that it works reasonably well with pedals and modellers - I'll try to get to gigs early enough to experiment at volume - I think I've playing around with it now to be ready to quickly adjust the power amp sag and turn off the cab block quickly in each preset.  
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited February 2016
    There might be a menu setting to globally bypass all cab blocks. There is on the Axe FX 2.
  • @Wazmeister @John_P

Thanks guys. It's a very tempting way of scaling down my pedalboard. Would have to work out if it'll work with my slightly elaborate amp setup... Namely, I want to run it in the fx loop of 1 amp, and into the front end of another. 
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    As an FX8 owner and fanboy this is not the news I wanted to hear!

@John_P Do you still have your FX8 too? Off the top of my head I can't remember if the AX8 has everything the FX8 has plus the amp modelling? 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17625
    tFB Trader
    What's the UK price £1300?
    The ax8 doesn't have relay outputs for amp channel switching and using it 4cm isn't quite as intuitive with the way the fx8 had pre and post blocks but otherwise it appears to have all the same effects and features. There may be a slight difference in noise levels as apparently the fx8 is optimised for 4cm but the ax8 does seem very quiet.