Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    thisisguitar;976422" said:
    @Wazmeister @John_P

Thanks guys. It's a very tempting way of scaling down my pedalboard. Would have to work out if it'll work with my slightly elaborate amp setup... Namely, I want to run it in the fx loop of 1 amp, and into the front end of another. 
    If you mean guitar to first amp, fx send to fx8 and then output to second amp (as well as first) then I don't see a problem running a setup like that with either the fx8 or ax8.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    edited February 2016
    John_P said:
    The ax8 doesn't have relay outputs for amp channel switching and using it 4cm isn't quite as intuitive with the way the fx8 had pre and post blocks but otherwise it appears to have all the same effects and features. There may be a slight difference in noise levels as apparently the fx8 is optimised for 4cm but the ax8 does seem very quiet.
    I've never used an Axe FX, but having just read up on the AX8 again, with that many amp and cab sims, plus over 500 user preset blocks I'm guessing using it in 4CM becomes a bot of a moot point?

Just when I think I'm sorted, GAS strikes again.

As someone with limited time and more crucially space to rehearse at home, having my complete rig in one unit is a real draw. 

Since delving into all the FX8's effects something else I have been toying with the idea of lately is stereo rigs - I'm guessing that's as easy as connecting two FRFR monitors with the AX8?

Presumably to play with headphones you go through a mixer?

Sorry for so many questions!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You're right about 4cm - that's how I've been gigging for many years with various amps and I'm going to try the next few gigs with the ax8 in front of an amp.    As I said earlier i've even started thinking about selling the evh.       That said a large chunk of my gigs this year will be with some old boss pedals in front of a marshall stack or two.    

Stereo should be as you say - just connected to two amps.   It's often overkill onstage but I like stereo. 

I don't know if the outputs could drive a pair of headphones but I assume it would need connecting to a headphone amp or desk to get a decent level.   
    John_P said:
    Stereo should be as you say - just connected to two amps.   It's often overkill onstage but I like stereo. 

True, but if I were to run it through my band's PA ( 2 subs + 2 Tops) I could just go into those via the mixer right?
    DavusPG said:
    John_P said:

True, but if I were to run it through my band's PA ( 2 subs + 2 Tops) I could just go into those via the mixer right?
    Yes - that'll work perfectly and is probably the easier way to use one. 
    And then use a wedge for monitoring I guess ?
    DavusPG said:
    And then use a wedge for monitoring I guess ?
    or in ears,    or you could route one output to your own monitor amp and the other to the FOH desk - not sure if you can keep the stereo outputs but I think you can. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the info. Looking forward to hearing how you find it for gigs. 
  • @John_P You can connect headphones via a Y-cable (so Cliff said).
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Just been looking at some videos and this looks ideal, and sounds great. $1300 in the U.S. And I'm there in May :)
  • John_A said:
    Just been looking at some videos and this looks ideal, and sounds great. $1300 in the U.S. And I'm there in May :)

You might need to add your name to the waiting list now to get one in May. They will be after you for import duty on the way home too.

I am seriously drawn to the Fractal stuff. I don't know whether to go for an AX8 or a used AFX2, but it's been calling me for a long time. The only thing I have GAS for. Tremendous tone!

• I've been playing my AX8 non stop since it arrived .. it's just completely addictive!
    Sounds are stellar, just selling most of my pedals now ..

I'm cured of gas, hallelujah! :)
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_A;977318" said:
    I'm there in May too. I feel a purchase coming on :)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    edited February 2016
    Anyone using an AX8 with a real amp... how do you find it ?
    Anyone using an AX8 with a real amp... how do you find it ?
    If you take out the amp and cab blocks then sound wise it is an fx8.    If you leave them in but dial out the sag on the amp model then you are in effect just using the preamp of the ax8 and the power amp in your amp.   For me that way gives you the extra tonal and eq options with dedicated knobs on the unit so it's quicker to tweak.     Last night was a bit of a jam type gig but it sounded good, tonight is a big stage club so I'll give some feedback tomorrow.  
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited February 2016
    On the U.S. Wait list ;) Edit. After the initial excitement I've spent the last 2 hours listening to demos of the Ax8, Axefx, kemper and the Helix, my initial impressions were the Kemper sounded the best of the bunch, as in most like a 'proper' amp but 2 hours in my thoughts are they all sound great, but the Helix is prettiest and most flexible..... I'm confused :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    We live in a golden age for this. I don't think you can make a bad decision between those four.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • really good comparison of AX8 and FX8 on the fractal forum http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ax8-vs-fx8-hands-on-critical-listening.111093/

• if you can't be arsed reading it the general consensus seems to be that the AX8 is slightly less transparent than the FX8 and setting levels on it is more work with a real amp - which is exactly what FAS said all along, i don't think anyone would notice in a band environment at all.

The other point is that the AX8 seems to be getting very good results in the power amp of people's amps, so the choice of the AX8's pre-amps into a proper power amp and cab works very well.

So - if you want FX only the FX8 wins, but if you want pre amps or full modelling go for the AX8