What valve amps are you using for home use?

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
For those of us who have a main amp, but perhaps store it elsewhere, what are you using for home use?

Looking for some suggestions, as my Sig X will no doubt live at the new practice space for the foreseeable future. So I want something for home. Still looking for 50-100watt, and still want a multi-channel amp. I have a loadbox incoming too, so I can record with impulses.

I'm thinking either the VH100R that I have access to - unless that too ends up going to the practice room - or picking up something else... maybe a 5150III EVH?

I know I don't really want a JVM.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72772
    What do you want that much power for at home? Do you live in a stadium?

;)

Seriously, try a Yamaha THR100. I know it's digital but you may be surprised - I was. I don't think it has the thump of a valve amp at higher volume, but it might have enough at lower volume, even for you...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• kossofffankossofffan Frets: 556
    edited February 2016
    Marshall Super Lead 1959HW into a 1960B cab. Mid-terrace house but my neighbours love my playing and even compliment me by 'clapping' on the walls. lol

if you're gonna have one, have a big'un!

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72772
    Marshall Super Lead 1959HW into a 1960B cab!
    Yeah!!! That's more like it :D.

I used a Major into a 2x15" bass cab when I lived in a tiny flat. Of course I never had it turned up above about .0001 on the volume control, but it sounded epic like that, at TV volume.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thing is that it depends what you're doing at home doesn't it?  Home practice and home recording are two different things.  Some amps cover both and others only cover the former a bit like a Big Mac does when you fancied a steak dinner.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Home recording and home practice.

At the moment I'm going through a real anti-digital phase. Blerrrggghhhhh.

Plus I need something to heat up the room when I'm rocking out with my cock out!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31743
    My current practice amp is a JCA 100HDM, it sounds fantastic at home volume, the depth mod is invaluable for low end beef.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3043
    VC30 gets most use.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • ColsCols Frets: 7176
    Laney LC15R. Quiet enough for home use but loud enough for gigging small clubs, especially if you use a 2x12 extension cab. Larger venues need micing up.

The only restriction is that it doesn't really do metal well; clean sounds up to heavy rock only.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2198
    Genz Benz El Diablo 100, running 3/4 up on 100w through a Rock Crusher. It cost next to nowt so I don't really care if it blows up and it's got three fx loops and tons of filth and has active eq.

After three years it hasn't gone bang yet.

And it lights up blue. What more do you need?

:-)

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8043
    65 Amps Lil Elvis 2x12.

Also use a Vox DA5 when it's late, with kids sleeping.

Marlin
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33863
    Lately a 35w Two Rock Studio Pro Plus but I don't have to worry about neighbours or noise as I live in bumblefuck.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1784
    A 55W Bugera V55HD into a 2x12 - the master volume works an absolute treat and is very controllable. 
    I've also got an Epiphone Valve Junior, but unless you can crank it then the bigger amp wins hands down on tone.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • I have to mind the neighbours. Laney Lionheart 5w 1x12. Plenty loud for home. The newer 5w head has DI out I think.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    I'm gonna get an attenuator and 1x12 to go with the load box and just get a 100w whatever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    Whatever head I fancy into a Reload out to the 2x12 cab and then take the line out to a couple of Eventide H9s to two 1x12 via a boogie fifty fifty. Stadium wet/dry/wet in the comfort of your own home - sounds a lot better than the AxeFX I was using to get that sound at low level.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 413
    Cornell plexi 7 for that 'rockin thang'.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    H&K Grandmeister head. Love it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 413
    Just noticed a Suhr Corso in the classifieds.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 500
    I use my Ampmaker P1800 - 18watts at full tilt but it has power scaling or VVR (or whatever it's called this week) which seems to work exceptionally well. Maybe that's because it's a cathode biased circuit, which makes the VVR circuitry a lot simpler.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1784
    Whatever head I fancy into a Reload out to the 2x12 cab and then take the line out to a couple of Eventide H9s to two 1x12 via a boogie fifty fifty. Stadium wet/dry/wet in the comfort of your own home - sounds a lot better than the AxeFX I was using to get that sound at low level.
    Wow, that's quite a home setup!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.