What valve amps are you using for home use?

What's Hot

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I'm currently running a Rat modified Blackheart Little Giant into a 1x12. It's basically a 5w Marshall with Power Scaling and a master volume.

My clean tones has the Power scaling set high and a low master and preamp. But my drive tones have the Power Scaling set to 0 with a high preamp and or low master or a low preamp and high master if I want power amp distortion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3499
    I have an Ibanez TSA5, which is a 5w 6V6 combo with a 10" speaker and an inbuilt Tube Screamer, works really well for home play.  I also have a Fender Blues Deluxe which is just too loud for playing at home. 
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    BigMonka;988808" said:
    Van_Hayden said:

Whatever head I fancy into a Reload out to the 2x12 cab and then take the line out to a couple of Eventide H9s to two 1x12 via a boogie fifty fifty. Stadium wet/dry/wet in the comfort of your own home - sounds a lot better than the AxeFX I was using to get that sound at low level.

Wow, that's quite a home setup!
    Too bloody big to gig with - but I can use the pedal board with a combo with just one cable change and a different patch in the H9s!
  • derndern Frets: 357
    A laney 5w lionheart combo in the bedroom and a line 6 dt25 down in the shed. I use an ampmaker P1800 head and a 4x12 for rehearsals and that lives at work.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    I've got a few low  powered valve amps but my favourite by a mile is the ZVex Nano head. Perfect for home use and can sound massive if you want it to.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7600
    I'm not playing out at the minute so my home amp is my main amp - JCM800, Torpedo Reload, 2x12

Or occasionally Scuffham Amps S-Gear in to studio monitors 
    Red ones are better. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5004
    Choice of two:

Self built Cornell 'Stinger' SE combo.

Orange Micro Terror and a Blackstar 1 * 10" speaker cabinet.

Very different sounds!!!
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Fender Greta into a Torpedo
    Sounds surprisingly alright especially with a decent drive to send it into the metalz
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    The valve amps i've used at home and liked have been:

- Orange Rocker 30
    - Fender HRDx Blues Tweed
    - Jet City 50w through a 2x12 (cannabis rex)
    - Marshall Super Bass through 1960a 4x12
    - Matamp GT1 through 4x12 (K100's)

I've had smaller combos and smaller heads as well...but i think i've discovered 3 things:
    1. 100w+ amp at home is not overkill...you just turn it down. And a big amp sounds much better turned down than a low watt amp. (unless, you want to push a 1w amp into natural distortion, then you cant really do it on a big amp unless it has MV)
    2. I like big bottle valves, even at low volume...to me they just sound better
    3. I prefer EL34 amps over nearly every other amp i've had

currently i'm using my old Peavey Studio Pro, and i really like it...but i have very little space. Once we move into a bigger place, i will retire the Super Bass from band duties and use it at home with a nice 2x12.
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    Roland Cube 20x, and I still get moaned at when it gets above 3 on the volume dial.....
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    Hiwatt SA212 - 50watt

as for the neighbours... bah fuck em
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2260

Zvex Nano, AC4C1, Matchless Lightning and Bad Cat Black Cat 30. Used the later last night to learn 'Love yourself'. I like that song.

My 'sound' is based on nearly clean amp sounds with overdrives.

• ZeeWZeeW Frets: 3
    Cornell plexi 7 for that 'rockin thang'.
    I quite fancy one of these - especially the new limited edition 25 years one.  Does yours have the 12 inch speaker?
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Laney 5w lionheart with an attenuator so I can turnthe amp up to its sweet spot, a Mesa Studio 22+ the MV works very well on this and for those rocking momements a '73 50 watt marshall into a load box and then into a power scaled stereo power amp not that far off a cheapskates Power Station :) 
  • Dan86Dan86 Frets: 116
    I have to mind the neighbours. Laney Lionheart 5w 1x12. Plenty loud for home. The newer 5w head has DI out I think.

Indeed it does. Lionheart L5 studio . I use this, with the matching 1x12. Usually on 0.5W which is almost too loud past halfway.
    My art/photography : http://danuk86.deviantart.com
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    A Suhr Corso has been getting a good seeing to round mine of late - it's a very toneful little thing.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    edited March 2016
    Rivera Jazz Suprema - 50 watts. / 12" Speaker Version.

Rift Vibro '63 - 35 watts.

My house walls are 2 foot plus of solid stone.
  • NickLNickL Frets: 153
    Vox AC4TV, which seems to be improved by the new valves I put in it this evening.
    Occasionally get the Blues Deluxe out if I have the place to myself and the neighbours are away, but it's really too loud, and trying to set the drive channel master anywhere between off and deafening can be a bit of a challenge.
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    A 100w Fender Dual Showman Reverb into a 2x12.. It has a master volume, and sounds great with all pedals.
  • Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    JCA22H and Blackheart BH15H into 1 x 12

Sometimes with Jettenuator sometimes without.