Muffroom Cloud will be changing its name as of 1 Sept.

What's Hot

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6149
    tFB Trader
    timhulio said:
    EHX sent me the same email in October, but it referred to the 'characterization of the product' infringing the trademark, as contrarily my muff variant doesn't actually have its name on it anywhere. So all I had to do was remove the phrase 'Big Muff' from the website text.

I can't see why 'Muffroom' would be a problem though. It is, like you say, a made-up word. There goes my super-woolly tubescreamer clone the Dumbledoor ;-)
    Ah well at least its not just me!!! I think we in britain just aren't as willing to go down the litigation route quite so fast. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Replace the ff for a ph?
    Stop crying, start buying
    tFB Trader
    Moss said:
    Replace the ff for a ph?
    its on the table.....as are some funnier efforts
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6123
    Well screw 'em  I'll not be buying any EFX in future. I hate it when big companies start shitting on the little guys. Have you still got some Muffrooms for  sale?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    tFB Trader
    equalsql said:
    Well screw 'em  I'll not be buying any EFX in future. I hate it when big companies start shitting on the little guys. Have you still got some Muffrooms for  sale?

Thanks for the support, We have some stock to clear in the lawsuit livery.
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    edited March 2016
    ThorpyFX;994085" said:

Don't suppose they are to be sold at a discount due to their lawsuit-ness? :P :D
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    tFB Trader
    Mkjackary said:
    ThorpyFX;994085" said:

Don't suppose they are to be sold at a discount due to their lawsuit-ness? :P :D

sorry, I'm afraid not, but like chicks dig scars, guitarists dig lawless product! (At least that's what I'm saying to myself) ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    edited March 2016
    Magic Muffroom.

the end.

could you actually explain what it is they are saying conflicts with their name ?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    darcym said:
    Magic Muffroom.

the end.

could you actually explain what it is they are saying conflicts with their name ?
    Hhmmm, somehow I think you missed that the word "cloud" isn't what EHX are getting upset about.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I did guess that it was muff, but it can't be just the word muff on it's own as there are loads of "muff" and you can't trade mark the word "muff" surely ? hence why I'm curious to what they say is conflicting with their name
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    darcym said:
    I did guess that it was muff, but it can't be just the word muff on it's own as there are loads of "muff" and you can't trade mark the word "muff" surely ? hence why I'm curious to what they say is conflicting with their name

Well I guess because it's a fuzz pedal with muff in the name, pretty clear conflict really. I don't imagine they have a problem with manufacturers of furry hand warmers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72366
    Monster Cable tried to sue Disney over Monsters Inc, though :)).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    darcym said:

Well I guess because it's a fuzz pedal with muff in the name, pretty clear conflict really. I don't imagine they have a problem with manufacturers of furry hand warmers.

There is a limit to what I can say but, the issue is distinctly related to the four letters m u f f in that order. This is despite it being part of another word. The trademark is only in relation to the phrase "big muff pi" regardless though, the owner of that phrase is unhappy and as such a C+D was received.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72366
    edited March 2016
    The real problem is that it doesn't matter if they have any valid complaint at all, just that you can't afford to challenge it. And they know that.

Corporate bullying at its most basic, and another reason why I won't ever buy a new EH pedal. Other than the main reasons which are that their build quality is poor, their pedals are unreliable and their customer service are unhelpful.

Sad when you look at what's in my avatar. I wonder if Euthymia had any trouble with the ICBM?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    so that's me done with electro harmonix - that's poor show.

I had no idea they behaved like that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 244
    Why not play them at their own game. How about the 22/7 fuzz. Most people believe that 22/7 equals pi, but actually 22/7 is greater than pi, just like your pedal better. Of course, then you could have /13 on your back?
    Click here for my Trading Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12334
    The Mike "I was bezzy mates with Hendrix" Matthews bullshitter Fuzz. Got to admit it's short and catchy.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10698
    edited March 2016
    How about the simple Mushroom Cloud? It would be nice to have a trace back to the original idea I know it's obvious but. Or Froom Cloud. Or dafuzz. Or Ffuzzface (kidding).
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    How about Mufroom Cloud. Removing the 'f' still gives it the same name, but takes you out of their trademark?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27014
    hubobulous;994329" said:
    How about Mufroom Cloud. Removing the 'f' still gives it the same name, but takes you out of their trademark?
    As I understand it, they don't actually have a trademark for "Muff", but are using their corporate clout to bugger over the little guy, so that won't be enough to deter them.

Mushroom Cloud is the obvious solution, though Legal Minefield is a wonderful name, and probably what I'd go for.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom