Muffroom Cloud will be changing its name as of 1 Sept.

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24286
    Mkjackary said:
    Citizens advice bureau combined with a few of the more legal-y types on here could draft a letter in response.
    Combine that with a press release stating exactly what you have said here.

"Sadly ...... Because we have received.... From the owner of the big muff pi trademark.... Blah blah"

It could do nothing, it could make front page of guitar news websites.

-

Also is there any way we can send an email saying we are selling all of our ehx equipment and never going to purchase an ehx pedal again becuase of this, without getting you into trouble for defamation or something?
    As well intentioned as this is, please please please do not follow this advice. (Ignoring that Citizens Advice can't help)

Cross boarder intellectual property disputes require an astonishing level of knowledge and experience of multiple jurisdictions and global enforcement.

I can think of less than a dozen firms that would be competent in this area and none of them will charge less than £350 + vat per hour for a mid level lawyer.

And EHX would issue the pleadings in New York where a nasty little state law makes it illegal for companies to represent themselves.ao you can't avoid using lawyers.

This is how Dimarzio got to Kinman pickups, and they had to change construction even though they probably would have won. They couldn't afford NYC legal fees.

This sort of thing isn't even taught at law school. You learn it at your magic circle firm if you get there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Rowby1 said:
    So I wonder if they've taken on JHS over the Muffuletta? Or are JHS and EHX in some way connected?
    Thorpyfx told me that the muffuletta name is actually a sandwich from 100 years ago.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6151
    edited March 2016 tFB Trader

Mkjackary said:
    Citizens advice bureau combined with a few of the more legal-y types on here could draft a letter in response.
    Combine that with a press release stating exactly what you have said here.

"Sadly ...... Because we have received.... From the owner of the big muff pi trademark.... Blah blah"

It could do nothing, it could make front page of guitar news websites.

-

Also is there any way we can send an email saying we are selling all of our ehx equipment and never going to purchase an ehx pedal again becuase of this, without getting you into trouble for defamation or something?
    As well intentioned as this is, please please please do not follow this advice. (Ignoring that Citizens Advice can't help)

Cross boarder intellectual property disputes require an astonishing level of knowledge and experience of multiple jurisdictions and global enforcement.

I can think of less than a dozen firms that would be competent in this area and none of them will charge less than £350 + vat per hour for a mid level lawyer.

And EHX would issue the pleadings in New York where a nasty little state law makes it illegal for companies to represent themselves.ao you can't avoid using lawyers.

This is how Dimarzio got to Kinman pickups, and they had to change construction even though they probably would have won. They couldn't afford NYC legal fees.

This sort of thing isn't even taught at law school. You learn it at your magic circle firm if you get there.

im good with avoiding the legal gumpf, my ex wife was a solicitor so I'm well aware of how much they screw people over! Aside from the hassle changing the name will bring, it will allow me to avoid lawyers and get on with building pedals. Picking your battles is a skill you learn in the forces, better to survive, gain strength and attack from a different angle.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    BTW you owe me £300 for that advice.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    dindude said:

As for names, how about Fusilier but with a z (or two), Fuzzilier.
    I really like this name, I think it's super clever.

Best of luck with the name change @ThorpyFX I hope it's no more than a minor inconvience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    BTW you owe me £300 for that advice.

Do you offer payment terms? I.e 1p a year
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352

Magic Circle....they don't like that term being used!! 

I've worked  for a couple, albeit in a non-legal support function, but they don't earn millions for nothing do they?!!
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited March 2016
    The FUffroom Cloud (with FU in larger type) or anything only a couple of letters different to Muffroom. That way the product will continue to be referred to as the "FUffroom Cloud formerly known as Muffroom Cloud" in formal descriptions and as the "FUffroom/Muffroom" wherever guitar pedals are discussed. EHX will have a hollow victory, which is the best outcome for you. The renaming will just give you more publicity because of the humourousness of a two letter change, something anyone will be happy explain in print.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8711
    This is all excellent news. You know you're having market impact when the competition reacts. You're in good company. broadcaster anyone? 

I like the Mushroom Cloud name.  It's got military connotations. It allows you to produce sticky labels to overprint FF with SH, making existing etchings reusable. It adds a nice little touch for follow on articles by Premier Guitar and by Guitar and Bass magazine. They can publicise your need to rename the product in the face of a legal challenge, and mention that you will send a free SH sticker to any existing pedal owners that contact you.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7328
    This piqued my interest in the pedal, so it's only a good thing really.
    Came across that video where you were with Rob Chapman and Lee Anderton. That was quite cool, even if I can't stand them. Why didn't they let you change the settings though? It was doing my head in when he was turning every dial while the other was playing.
    tFB Trader
    DefaultM said:
    This piqued my interest in the pedal, so it's only a good thing really.
    Came across that video where you were with Rob Chapman and Lee Anderton. That was quite cool, even if I can't stand them. Why didn't they let you change the settings though? It was doing my head in when he was turning every dial while the other was playing.

It was filmed quite quickly. And ultimately it's their video I guess. Have a look at some of the mother videos out there and you may be able to get a better appreciation of what it's about.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7328
    I was pretty distracted wondering what that thing on Rob Chapman's head was, but despite that I still thought they sounded awesome.
    I use an axe fx 2 so generally don't like to buy pedals, but I'm already thinking about if I could gig with just these and a delay for my covers band.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    Hi, I'm Greek, and my family invented the langauge.

Can Mr EHX stop using the word Pi, which I patented to define 3.1419?

I'm sending you a note to σταματήσουν και να απέχουν.

Thanks.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mustapha Cloud!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27546
    Gassage said:
    Can Mr EHX stop using the word Pi, which I patented to define 3.1419?

Well, that was silly, because the correct value is 3.14159 ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    edited March 2016
    How's about The Big Merkin Gamma ? Bush Pie ?  Kush Pie ? Tush Pie ? etc
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    CAB are not there for corporate / commercial purposes
    Thorpy quite correct " the benefit of Law is for those that can afford it " - discretion is the better part of valour and has has made the correct commercial decision ............I think the pun is clever but it borrows from reference to EHX intellectual property - if the reference were co-incidental and Thorpy's product was unrelated ie a garden tool then there would be a better case to defend plagiarism.
      Thorpy, ......brilliant as your products are -you are a cottage industry in its fledgeling years -think out of the box - They have the name but you have the better product -they have the manufacturing, marketing,advertising and distribution network etc..........do a deal with them and get a strong capital base built faster
     You are ultimately splitting their market share tho'their product is to fuzz what Hoover is to Vacuum IE Synonamous
    What is the fuzz market worth in turnover per annum - what is their market share of that turnover
    Is it worth turning the tables and licensing your product to them on a lump sum up-front design fee and on-going Royalty basis 
    In business a sad fact of this century is that you have to have functions not feelings and sometimes its more clever to say if you can't beat them ;join 'em
    Mergers and Aquisitions take place every day in the commercial banking world -sometimes everyone 's a winner
     ALTERNATIVELY - get as much publicity as you can in the guitar press ie let them injunct to prove and publicise that they feel threatened by your product then rebrand it THE RUGMUNCHER  ie it eats muffs..............only my opinion
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    EHX sent me the same email in October, but it referred to the 'characterization of the product' infringing the trademark, as contrarily my muff variant doesn't actually have its name on it anywhere. So all I had to do was remove the phrase 'Big Muff' from the website text.

I can't see why 'Muffroom' would be a problem though. It is, like you say, a made-up word. There goes my super-woolly tubescreamer clone the Dumbledoor ;-)
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    sticker;993051" said:
    The Legal Minefield !
    Winner

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited March 2016
    Big enough pie.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.