Muffroom Cloud will be changing its name as of 1 Sept.

What's Hot

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    FFS - For Fuzz Sake

The FuckYou Cloud?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Or illegal minefield.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    horse said:
    FFS - For Fuzz Sake

The FuckYou Cloud?

haha Fuzz Sake is excellent!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Mushroom Pie.

• Eclectic Mattress

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Deluxe Mammary Joy

• Sole Feud

12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26601
    Sole Feud
    Excellent work!
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3496
    My vote would be for 'Brian Blessed's Chin'.

That's some triumphant and fearsome fuzz if ever. 

Meh, I want to buy a Muffroom Cloud now.  Hadn't really considered one or heard clips of it until now.  The Muffroom seems to have a huge amount of variation for a fuzz.  All the fuzz pedals I've owned have been really one dimensional. 
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Another happy muffroom cloud owner here. It's way better than what ehx currently make.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    edited March 2016
    Have you checked with Sky re using 'Cloud'?

And have you checked with the Hilton re using 'Room'?

If I were you I'd cover all the bases.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22138
    As for going near Rickenbacker ... Jason Lollar's experience proves that even when the big company concerned can't make a pickup with reliable quality control ... they will make damn sure nobody else can offer alternatives. What annoys me is that were you a Chinese company you'd be left strictly alone. A case of pursuing the easy targets.
    That's totally untrue in the case of Rickenbacker, who go after everyone, whether they're a US pickup builder or a Chinese seller marketing guitars in the Rickenbacker style. Go and ask the Indie Guitar Co what happened over their IRK5 model or ask Tokai what happened to the RG40 guitar. Ask eBay if it's possible to sell even a lawsuit era Rick clone on there. Rickenbacker protect their trademarks very strongly.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28289
    Rickenbacker protect their trademarks very strongly.
    As they have every right to - and as Fender and Gibson should have. But the guitarist historical re-enactment market means that not many people are willing to make something different, and too many of the ones who are happy to copy things are happy to use the reputation and trade dress of the original to sell their copy.

This I am not directing at Mr Thorpy; the Muffroom Cloud looks to have an individual sound and look and is a lot more money than a Little Big Muff. I still understand why EHX might not be happy with the name though - as I'm sure Mr Thorpy would not be happy if there was an EHX Punshot overdrive. ;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6151
    tFB Trader
    We have a winner....... But i'll announce it later.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926

ThorpyFX said:
    We have a winner....... But i'll announce it later.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/426c751/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    Good. Just nipping down to the patent and trademark office.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Yeah, I appreciate that angle and that is the advice I would give.  However it is still Thorpy making the decision to change the name.  If (as is true EHX) have no case then there is no case to fight and ignore it.  It's their job to prove it, which as it's fantastical they can't. 

The is slightly more complicated as a lot of the Muffroom Cloud's marketing (besides it's name) relies on referring to EHX own baby.  Plenty of other Muff variants exist without making direct comparisons, such as the Musket, Pharaoh, Iron Bell... So to that extent maybe EHX do have a claim.  Still this isn't them in the wrong.  The Muffroom Cloud will still exist but use a different name.  Had it not been for EHX then the Muffroom Cloud would not have existed fall stop so I just find making them the bad guys a bit odd.

As for sending a cease and desist order equalling acting likes twats, when the world was awash with OCD clones, which itself is a clone of the Voodoo Labs OD with added tone control, Mike Fuller would send cease and desist orders as well as threats of physical violence to people so on balance I think EHX just followed protocol.  I suspect that the arrival of the Muffuletta around a similar time probably didn't help their mood much either.

There was also the hilarity of Vertex sending out at least one C&D letter to TGP members telling them to silence their clearly analysed and presented evidence terrible lies about Vertex. I can't remember if Freekish Blues sent any out. 

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6151
    edited March 2016 tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    Rickenbacker protect their trademarks very strongly.
    As they have every right to - and as Fender and Gibson should have. But the guitarist historical re-enactment market means that not many people are willing to make something different, and too many of the ones who are happy to copy things are happy to use the reputation and trade dress of the original to sell their copy.

This I am not directing at Mr Thorpy; the Muffroom Cloud looks to have an individual sound and look and is a lot more money than a Little Big Muff. I still understand why EHX might not be happy with the name though - as I'm sure Mr Thorpy would not be happy if there was an EHX Punshot overdrive. ;)

Don't worry I get why the company are concerned and i am resigned to change the name, i thought the pun wouldn't upset anyone, as the term has become very common and used by loads of people and the trademark is very far removed from the pun..... 

Anyway, they are upset, we can't afford to fight it and life moves on. Interestingly the trademark wasn't in place until 1990. It survived for twenty years without a trademark... My only remaining gripe will be regarding parity of response, I would place money on the fact that all the other offenders get to keep the names they have coined, modified that appear to similarly breach trademark. Ultimately though, this won't reflect badly on me so i guess its not a concern i need to dwell upon. 

The moral of the story is..... don't stick your head above the parapet or its liable to get shot.... its not a coincidence the C+D arrived after the amazing Premier Guitar review we received.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    edited March 2016
    Sporky said:

Exactly. I have absolutely zero problem with Rickenbacker protecting their guitar trademarks, although the corresponding effect is that the replacement parts market for Rickenbackers is a near-neurotic experience :D

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Well I'll not be buying another ehx product again.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    ThorpyFX said:
    Interestingly the trademark wasn't in place until 1990.
    Probably because Muffs were out of favour until the early 90s proto-grunge bands started using them again, and because there were very few copy/clone pedals of any kind until then either.

ThorpyFX said:
    My only remaining gripe will be regarding parity of response, I would place money on the fact that all the other offenders get to keep the names they have coined, modified that appear to similarly breach trademark.
    Because yours is one of the few which comprehensively wipes the floor with both the original and the rest of the competition, probably - hence is a threat rather than a 'pusher'. Fender and Gibson made that mistake in the 70s, thinking that the Japanese copies would always be inferior and hence they would always act as a pusher for the real thing by making owners want to upgrade. Then Tokai and Ibanez upset that logic and they started getting threatened with lawsuits. The actual 'lawsuit' which coined this overused term was only over the open-book shape of the headstock on some of the earlier Ibanezes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein