Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone in touch with JXG?

What's Hot

Comments

• JuniorJunior Frets: 3
    Has anyone heard from John yet? It's been months and I still have no guitar, and no replies to email or phone.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    So I'm going to bump this now, as I think it's reached the end of the line a bit for me now. If anyone has any last known details for John could they please share them with me to minimise my search / costs before starting legal action. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    ...It happened with a local guy who was building guitars, but took in a friend's 1960s Strat for some TLC. It took three years (and a lot of fighting) to get it back, and when it came back half the hardware had been replaced with cheap Squier stuff - the guy had sold the parts to pay other customers back. It's currently still going through court; that Strat was supposed to be a nest egg for his kids, and now it's almost worthless.
    That's terrible.

Serious question - is there any kind of British association covering luthiers, techs and repairers that people could get affiliated with, potentially also providing insurance for punters but also protection, some support etc. for the suppliers?

If not, given how many superb British manufacturers, techs and luthiers post on the Fretboard, perhaps they could be the nucleus of one...? 
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...

• Serious question - is there any kind of British association covering luthiers, techs and repairers that people could get affiliated with, potentially also providing insurance for punters but also protection, some support etc. for the suppliers?

If not, given how many superb British manufacturers, techs and luthiers post on the Fretboard, perhaps they could be the nucleus of one...? 
    There's no authority that's remotely interested in dealing with this sort of thing. Just ask Mags.

@goldtop - did you get any closure?
    <space for hire>
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14455
    they get a whole lot of orders and forget how to do "business".
    Somebody in my area has been through several cycles of this. In the past, health issues forced him to put guitar building on hold for random lengths of time.

In recent weeks, a custodial sentence has put him on a four year hiatus. He might not survive.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27604

Serious question - is there any kind of British association covering luthiers, techs and repairers that people could get affiliated with, potentially also providing insurance for punters but also protection, some support etc. for the suppliers?

Not as far as I know @darthed1981.

I could see plenty benefits of there being such an organisation though.  

Some sort of "collective" that provided marketing support to raise the profile of UK luthier sector (rather than any one individual), perhaps organised shows, exhibitions and/or events (@Jason) at which potential customers could get their hands on example instruments, perhaps held funds "in escrow" so that customers didn't get fleeced by the disappearing builder, maybe offered back office business services and advice to help the businesses establish viable models, maybe pooled investment in some of the really expensive kit, putting together decent websites, negotiating distribution deals, etc, etc, etc ...

There are lots of reasons that the small builders disappear - sometimes it's loss of interest, sometimes harsh financial realities, sometimes ill health, sometimes they just realise that their favourite hobby of building the odd guitar for mates doesn't translate into a full-time business - and any sort of "collective" couldn't prevent all disappearances.

But seems to me that it would offer a lot of positives?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    My JXG update: no resolution, although I haven't yet sent bailiffs. That's the next step.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

Some sort of "collective" that provided marketing support to raise the profile of UK luthier sector (rather than any one individual), perhaps organised shows, exhibitions and/or events (@Jason) at which potential customers could get their hands on example instruments, perhaps held funds "in escrow" so that customers didn't get fleeced by the disappearing builder, maybe offered back office business services and advice to help the businesses establish viable models, maybe pooled investment in some of the really expensive kit, putting together decent websites, negotiating distribution deals, etc, etc, etc ...

I keep looking for a venue, I think a one day show similar to The Holy Grail show in Berlin, but where....? Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread, I'm considering myself lucky because I almost placed an order with JXG 18 months ago
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    goldtop said:
    My JXG update: no resolution, although I haven't yet sent bailiffs. That's the next step.
    do you have confirmed address details, as that would help me save money paying for researchers to confirm the address before court filing.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited February 2018
    Jason said:
    TTony said:

I keep looking for a venue, I think a one day show similar to The Holy Grail show in Berlin, but where....? Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread, I'm considering myself lucky because I almost placed an order with JXG 18 months ago

I consider myself unlucky because I did place an order 18 months ago!

I refuse to give up hope...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Iamnobody said:
    Jason said:
    TTony said:

I consider myself unlucky because I did place an order 18 months ago!

I refuse to give up hope...
    Sorry, I hope you (all) get it sorted
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    after posting this I've just had out of the blue contact from John to tell me my guitar is currently a few weeks away from being sprayed and is being fretted at the moment. 

he is alive and working, keep the faith, I admit mine was faltering. His email is basically just a dumping ground for spam/junk so he often misses stuff. 
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    darcym said:
    after posting this I've just had out of the blue contact from John to tell me my guitar is currently a few weeks away from being sprayed and is being fretted at the moment. 

he is alive and working, keep the faith, I admit mine was faltering. His email is basically just a dumping ground for spam/junk so he often misses stuff. 
    Great news! I’m sure you won’t be disappointed when it eventually arrives. I know my build was a lot further on than yours so I’m even more hopeful than I was at 21:31.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788
    darcym said:

"out of the blue", but hours after you started mentioning legal action . . .
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    darcym said:

I do wonder how people like this guy stay in business when they seemingly can’t find their arsehole with both hands. Good to hear you might finally get your guitar though and hopefully others with orders in get theirs sorted soon too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darcym said:

Over 12 months of missing your emails because of spam?

Get your money back and run like the wind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    An update: I've been in touch with JXG sporadically via Facebook over the last month. I don't have an account and I think he accidentally accepted the friend request I sent from my partner's account. Anyway, we're talking, not often but more than before.

With the initial result being a partial repayment of the money I am owed (received this evening). He says he will repay the rest weekly. I am happy with this.

I will be even happier if this means he's getting his life and work back together again. For himself and all of those who have posted in the thread. No-one doubts his talent, and I hope to see more great JXG guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Great news @goldtop ;
  • Nice one @goldtop and very decent of you to give the guy a chance, hope he keeps his end of the deal...
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    goldtop said:
    An update: I've been in touch with JXG sporadically via Facebook over the last month. I don't have an account and I think he accidentally accepted the friend request I sent from my partner's account. Anyway, we're talking, not often but more than before.

With the initial result being a partial repayment of the money I am owed (received this evening). He says he will repay the rest weekly. I am happy with this.

I will be even happier if this means he's getting his life and work back together again. For himself and all of those who have posted in the thread. No-one doubts his talent, and I hope to see more great JXG guitars.
    You are a very nice man. I salute your coolness sir.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom