Vox AC30 Gumtree How not to sell an amp!

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    I see that it’s back on Gumtree for £2500. There’s an identical one on Reverb for £500 but it’s been on there for two years!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Is he the bloke who has the modded Shaftesbury Ric copy which he insists is worth over £1k, he knows what its worth, etc...
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    must be quite a conundrum being the only person who knows what something is worth
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7255
    edited October 2023
    I just had a look back to the start of this thread where the OP has posted "transcripts" of messages exchanged with the Gumtree seller.

I have only ever sent three unsolicited messages to a seller on Gumtree.  One was where the seller had very obviously missed out a digit in the price (non guitar related item) and the seller was relieved that I had spotted the error.  Another was to alert the seller that they had copied and pasted sensitive information relating to another person in the images via a screenshot, but I never received a response.  The third was to tell the seller that they had included details of features on the amplifier that weren't included on that particular model shown in the photos.  The seller came back with a comment telling me it was none of my business.  I didn't respond.  That was up to him, and with classifieds it's a "buyer beware" situation that is none of my business unless I was looking to buy, which I wasn't and wouldn't have been after the response.  He would either have his time wasted by potential buyers coming to look at the amp only to find out that the description was wrong, or else somebody that hadn't done any homework and wasn't astute enough to notice the error would buy it and then perhaps have an argument with the seller.

In this particular case the OP somehow seemed to think he was being a saviour to society or simply enjoyed an online argument and started baiting the seller.  Why?  If the seller was maintaining a firm stance it was none of the OP's business to keep arguing the point.  It would be different if the item had been advertised on this forum's classifieds section, in which case making sure the details were correct might protect an unsuspecting or inexperienced member here, but the item was advertised on Gumtree.  Frankly I don't see the point in entering into a protracted argument with somebody that is headstong and adamant, and I don't think personal insults are justified in what was unsolicited intrusiveness by the OP of this thread.
    BillDL said:
     Frankly I don't see the point in entering into a protracted argument with somebody that is headstong and adamant, and I don't think personal insults are justified in what was unsolicited intrusiveness by the OP of this thread.
    Bravely resisting the urge to respond to this with a personal insult just for a laugh
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    BillDL said:

In this particular case the OP somehow seemed to think he was being a saviour to society or simply enjoyed an online argument and started baiting the seller.  Why?  If the seller was maintaining a firm stance it was none of the OP's business to keep arguing the point.  It would be different if the item had been advertised on this forum's classifieds section, in which case making sure the details were correct might protect an unsuspecting or inexperienced member here, but the item was advertised on Gumtree.  Frankly I don't see the point in entering into a protracted argument with somebody that is headstong and adamant, and I don't think personal insults are justified in what was unsolicited intrusiveness by the OP of this thread.
    As a forum and a collective, we should look out for others.  If someone out there is trying to rip off ‘one of our own’ then we should advise accordingly and highlight the issue on here.  
    I get your point on the ‘personal insults’, but the easiest thing for the seller to do would be to say “no one is forcing you to buy it”, block and move on.  Instead he chose to make out that he was a big deal in the sixties and attempted to belittle the knowledge of people who clearly know far more than him.  If you start being arsey, then you’re opening yourself up to all kinds of attention.   That said, with mental health being a hot topic right now, perhaps we should tread a little more carefully.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    well yes because it is one and everyone knows that it is one including the seller

he's just waiting for someone who doesn't to come along and over pay for it based on his text description

and probably will be for another ten years
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2199
    I see. What a douchebag.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    Reminds me of a guy I messaged on Ebay who was selling a Rose Morris era AC30 claiming it was JMI.  I told him it wasn't, showed him the proof and he then bleated to me how he was a pro musician in the 60's when he bought it.

No mate, you did too many drugs in the 60's if that's what you think.

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1427
    prlgmnr said:
    well yes because it is one and everyone knows that it is one including the seller

he's just waiting for someone who doesn't to come along and over pay for it based on his text description

and probably will be for another ten years
    Or...he's bought it thinking it was something it isn't and now feels like a cunt and is trying to save face

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NickBNickB Frets: 241
    The bloke has got terrible feedback on Gumtree, so even if he had what I wanted at a reasonable price I wouldn't be buying from him anyway... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72372
    Dodge said:
    Reminds me of a guy I messaged on Ebay who was selling a Rose Morris era AC30 claiming it was JMI.  I told him it wasn't, showed him the proof and he then bleated to me how he was a pro musician in the 60's when he bought it.

No mate, you did too many drugs in the 60's if that's what you think.
    I once met a guy who had a very nice early-80s Tokai Strat, which he insisted he’d bought in 1978… no amount of showing him that model wasn’t made until 1981 would convince him otherwise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I wonder if he's the same guy selling a Harley Benton with "upgraded" locking tuners and p90s for £1000 on Facebook?
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2396
    edited November 2023
    I wonder if he's the same guy selling a Harley Benton with "upgraded" locking tuners and p90s for £1000 on Facebook?
    No, different guy, although that thread kept me very amused last night. I genuinely thought it was a troll post until he started getting offended at the piss-taking and saying how people should be paying more for it because he's a pro musician and his time and luthiery skills are important. A few people tried to be helpful and explain how spending £300 on parts for a £200 guitar doesn't make it magically worth a grand, but he just insisted everyone was ignorant and didn't know what they were talking about.
    Tim
  • timmypix said:
    I wonder if he's the same guy selling a Harley Benton with "upgraded" locking tuners and p90s for £1000 on Facebook?
    No, different guy, although that thread kept me very amused last night. I genuinely thought it was a troll post until he started getting offended at the piss-taking and saying how people should be paying more for it because he's a pro musician and his time and luthiery skills are important. A few people tried to be helpful and explain how spending £300 on parts for a £200 guitar doesn't make it magically worth a grand, but he just insisted everyone was ignorant and didn't know what they were talking about.
    Marked as "pending" now (removed in shame?)
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management