Epi LP headstock repair.

What's Hot

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited December 2013
    "I love mucking about with knackered guitars. Perhaps I should open an eBay shop. "

As opposed to taking perfectly good guitars and knackering them. .!?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    edited December 2013
    whoops, wrong thread
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    OK, so I went and got some gorilla glue (cheers for the help @ICBM) and a trigger clamp. I wet each end of the break with a spray bottle, wiping off the excess with a sponge.

It's now sitting like this:

Since that picture was taken, I ran a damp sponge round the edge to remove excess glue. The clamp is sitting above the head, so the weight isn't dragging it off centre:

The bottle says one to two hours, but I'll be leaving it for 24.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    yeah, its 1-2 hours to fix a wind chime, not a headstock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's what I thought! Not sure I want to be sticking strings on it after two hours. Besides, it gives me time to decide if I'm going to do it properly and use splines.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10494
    tFB Trader
    DeeTee said:
    @ICBM has kindly answered a couple of questions for me. My initial thought is get some gorilla glue, clamps and scrap wood. Use the gorilla glue, clamp it was tight as I can with the scrap wood in between clamp and guitar, and let it set. Then put some tuners and strings on it and muck about with it for a bit to see how it holds. If it starts to go again, it'll be time to do something serious like the splints.
    Once you have glued it once it will spoil it for any further repair ... do it once and do it right :)

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheGuitarWeasel;109726" said:
    DeeTee said:

@ICBM has kindly answered a couple of questions for me. My initial thought is get some gorilla glue, clamps and scrap wood. Use the gorilla glue, clamp it was tight as I can with the scrap wood in between clamp and guitar, and let it set. Then put some tuners and strings on it and muck about with it for a bit to see how it holds. If it starts to go again, it'll be time to do something serious like the splints.

Once you have glued it once it will spoil it for any further repair ... do it once and do it right :)
    What he said. Use it as the chance to make this stronger than it ever was new, and get a working Les Paul for 20 quid!
    That's what I'm thinking. I just need to get a Dremel and some wood. I've no idea where to buy the wood though, as I only need about five inches by five inches.
  • DeeTee;109743" said:
    That's what I'm thinking. I just need to get a Dremel and some wood. I've no idea where to buy the wood though, as I only need about five inches by five inches.
    Many luthier folks on here might have an offcut.

Otherwise, perhaps eBay?
    Originally I didn't care about the cosmetics. Now I think about it, if I do it properly, I can come back and try to learn how to finish it properly later. So I can use it to learn to repair a break, fit a nut, wire the guitar (I don't think I got this right with my tele deluxe build) and do the cosmetic finish. If I get a useable guitar, then all well and good.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited December 2013
    usedtobe said:
    As opposed to taking perfectly good guitars and knackering them. .!?
    I'm certain I could manage that.  I like to think positive.  :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm going to get the Silverline hobby tool from Amazon. From what I can tell, I need a 1/4 inch routing bit, but there are tons of them. Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?
  • Opinion: Epiphone headstocks are not that ugly. 

There's far worse out there.

Try this on for an ugly headstock!! 

@GuitarMonkey - How long did you make those splines?

@Lukeage - Yep, that's pretty ugly!
  • About 8cm I think. I don't think they needed to be so long.
    I think this is what I need, but does anyone want to tell me otherwise before I order it?
    DeeTee said:
    I think this is what I need, but does anyone want to tell me otherwise before I order it?
    What is it?  :D  Can't see what you're asking...  ;)
    Looks a bit cheap to me.  The sharper and better quality it is, the better the cut (and less likely to mangle your Epi neck).  A really decent bit will last.  I'm sure some of the pros may have some suggestions as to good brands for router bits.
    But is it the correct sort of thing?