Epi LP headstock repair.

What's Hot

Comments

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Don't be silly. This isn't made of gorillas. It's the glue gorillas use around the home.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 344
    ICBM said:
    Useful info, thanks! I'm just inherently suspicious of all new wonder glues until proven otherwise, after bad experiences with some.
    I can sympathise - I have a deep distrust of Cascamite after something I made with it fell to pieces.

I have used it (the foaming polyurethane) quite a bit for furniture & boaty stuff - it's pretty reliable: not the strongest there is, but plenty strong enough, it sticks where nothing else will and is properly waterproof (just in case!). It wouldn't be my first choice for guitar related work though, as it's a bit unruly.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Incidentally, say you wanted to remove the neck completely, can the glue holding it in be softened in any way, or is it a case of routing out the old neck?

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    edited December 2013
    Sambostar said:

Incidentally, say you wanted to remove the neck completely, can the glue holding it in be softened in any way, or is it a case of routing out the old neck?

Depending on what it was glued in with, you can often steam it out - but given that almost the only time you'll ever want to on this sort of guitar is because the neck is a write-off anyway, it's much easier just to saw it off nearly flush with the body (minding the truss rod if you're using a wood saw!) and chop the tenon out with a chisel.

Trickier if you want to salvage the old fingerboard as well - you do if you're making a new neck for a vintage guitar really - but it can be done, usually with a combination of methods. As long as you start with the assumption that the neck is scrap you can do any cutting you like into it to make getting tools or steam into the joint under the board easier.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    @DeeTee - what's occurin'?  :D
    Still waiting for the wood to arrive! Bloody post. I've filed off the excess glue, sorted the dremel and router bit, just need the wood now.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    @DeeTee - Any sign of postie?  I'm itching to see how you get on.  :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    No. I've got an exam next week, so I'm busy with that and moving this weekend, so I'm not too concerned right now. If it hasn't turned up by next weekend, I'll have to see about buying a strip of mahogany. I wonder if B&Q would do it?
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    B&Q.. lol!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

Richardj kindly sent me some wood, but between the French and British postal systems, it's gone walkies. He's very kindly sending me some more though so as soon as it turns up I'll get cracking.

And @usedtobe, it was meant to be a joke. Thanks for the helpful comment though!
    Yeah, I got it. I was laughing WITH you... :)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

edited January 2014
    Fair enough, sorry!
    No worries, mate. Actually following the thread keenly, and very interested in how it all goes.

Apparently the wood has arrived! Might be a while before I can get to it though, university is manic at the moment. Finishing an essay tonight, two more due in the next few weeks
    edited March 2014
    I've routed the channels now. I went freehand with the dremel, which actually went well. I can't post a picture yet because my phone seems to have fallen out with photobucket.

The only issue I have is that when I started, the tool skipped a little (you have to really hang on tight to that thing). It's not chewed into the wood, but it has taken a chunk of the finish off. Once I've completed the splines, I'll have to refinish that part of the neck too. Any tips on that would be greatly appreciated.

I have to go back to London today, so I won't be able to do more for a bit. Next step will be to glue the splines in. I'll put glue in the bottom of the routs and wipe some along the sides of the splines. I'm thinking I'll then place another piece of wood on top of the splines and clamp it in place. This should mean that quite a bit of glue will come out as it dries, which is what I want.

Once it dries, I'll be able to sand the splines into shape and remove the excess glue. This should provide a strong link. I can then look at refinishing. Again, any tips are appreciated.
    I finally got photobucket to work. As you can see, I've taken a decent chunk of the lacquer out near the routing.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag24/DeeTeeUK/20140302_140203_zpsxs6hf96c.jpg
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Looking good. Well done
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Thanks. I'm unsure what to do about the chip though.
    The plan for this weekend is to try shaping the splines ready for fitting. After that's done, I'll look to take the gloss off the neck and take a razor blade or Stanley knife blade to the fretboard. Then I'll consider rolling the edge of the fretboard.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    DeeTee said:
    Thanks. I'm unsure what to do about the chip though.
    You've just routed two dirty great holes - I wouldn't sweat the lacquer.  >:D<