Best head

What's Hot
167891012»

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    It'd actually be pretty good if we could do a comparison of an amp with a DI out (eg Laney IRT Studio) with the same amp run through a dummy load, both with impulses.

Anybody want to lend me a Laney?
    Was thinking I could do it with a blackstar HT40, but the DI out has a (very crap) cab emulation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    One on gumtree is £350
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    @digitalscream that's the same one I saw
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    My mate's Head and Cab just arrived.  

https://media.giphy.com/media/bVoflcc4kidaM/giphy.gif
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lol!!!!
    Lol!!!!

Sssh! Don't tell Herbert! He's the jealous type! He hates it when I look at other amps! Just look at him glowering. You can see he's about to get *very* loud with me again!

https://c6.staticflickr.com/7/6188/6046571069_a9111abb1c_o.jpg

:blush:

Jesus that looks heavy!
    About 40kg in its hardcase. It's a two-man lift, really. There's six big glass bottles in there for a total output of 180 Watts!
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    DLM said:
    About 40kg in its hardcase. It's a two-man lift, really. There's six big glass bottles in there for a total output of 180 Watts!
    I have a 2x12 combo that's around 40kg (88lbs). You can carry and lift the thing on your own but it's no surprise that the first thing I boight after buying the combo was a set of casters.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26773
    See, I've never understood why anybody would buy a 2x12" combo. Compared with a head and a 2x12" cab, they're harder to lift, harder to move around, don't save a lot of space (except you have to find space for a bigger box, instead of two smaller ones) and they're bloody awkward in a multi-band on-stage setup.

I actually can't find a single upside.
    <space for hire>
    Yes, using proper lifting technique, I can lift and carry Herbert myself, but I prefer not to have to. I sometimes use a board with casters under it for shifting it about if I'm on my own. A lot of swearing has been proven to help tolerate lifting heavy loads. Not the only reason I don't get booked for P&W gigs! :chortle:
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    @digitalscream Well, the main reason I got a 2x12 it is for the increased spread over a 1x12. In terms of why a combo, I'm afraid it was just inertia. I've always had combos so therefore I bought a combo. I never even thought about a head and cab. However, after recent gigs I am getting aches in my hips the next day and I'm sure it's down to heavy lifting, not just my gear, but helping with the PA, drums etc.

I'm vaguely considering replacing it with a smallish head, likely with a DI out to go through the PA, because a 1x12 is fairly directional, and a cab. This thread has been pretty interesting to me and if I went for something light with a DI I'd probably be looking at another Egnater (the DI out my Rebel is fantastic), a Yamaha THR or possibly a H&K Tubemeister which has a Red Box built in.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26773
    @digitalscream Well, the main reason I got a 2x12 it is for the increased spread over a 1x12. In terms of why a combo, I'm afraid it was just inertia. I've always had combos so therefore I bought a combo. I never even thought about a head and cab. However, after recent gigs I am getting aches in my hips the next day and I'm sure it's down to heavy lifting, not just my gear, but helping with the PA, drums etc.

I'm vaguely considering replacing it with a smallish head, likely with a DI out to go through the PA, because a 1x12 is fairly directional, and a cab. This thread has been pretty interesting to me and if I went for something light with a DI I'd probably be looking at another Egnater (the DI out my Rebel is fantastic), a Yamaha THR or possibly a H&K Tubemeister which has a Red Box built in.
    I would really advise getting a Sennheiser E609 or E906 to hang in front of a small cab if that's what you're after. Those mics are super-cardioid (so minimal bleed from the drums), and you'll sound a hell of a lot better. It also doesn't limit your choice of amp.

Or just do what I did and get a Matrix NL212 cab, which weighs less than your average 1x12" cab and sounds like an oversized 2x12" with V30s in it.
    <space for hire>
  • @ThePrettyDamned - pretty badly, I'd imagine. Those things put out quite a bit more than 15W when they're no longer running clean...

Sadly I fear you're right. 

It's nifty though. It has a 10 percent output, so you cantake aa signal to a desk/laptop AND get cranked up tone at a more reasonable level through the cab. 

Absolutely want one. The big one is too many pounds, though. If only it was 30 watts. 
    Head and lightweight cab all the way. 
    I think it costs more but it's worth it.
  • jaytmon said:
    What about a Bogner Atma head? 18w, small, 3 channel, reverb, fx loop, very versatile by the looks of things. GuitarGuitar stock them I believe. Worth a look for sure.
    I'm looking at these again now - the only thing it doesn't have is reverb. 
    Oh, and a lower price tag :lol:
  • Has anybody experienced "ear fatigue" whilst using an amp with EL84s? 
    Might be total bollocks but I was reading about the Atma and more than once read about folk getting ear fatigue from it and other EL84-based amps!?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    See, I've never understood why anybody would buy a 2x12" combo. Compared with a head and a 2x12" cab, they're harder to lift, harder to move around, don't save a lot of space (except you have to find space for a bigger box, instead of two smaller ones) and they're bloody awkward in a multi-band on-stage setup.

I actually can't find a single upside.
    They look better and sound better :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11935
    edited August 2016
    jaytmon said:
    What about a Bogner Atma head? 18w, small, 3 channel, reverb, fx loop, very versatile by the looks of things. GuitarGuitar stock them I believe. Worth a look for sure.
    I'm looking at these again now - the only thing it doesn't have is reverb. 
    Oh, and a lower price tag lol
    Reverb? It's what the effects loop is for, just plug in a reverb you like  :3