Best head

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
edited April 2016 in Amps
Not been keeping up to date with ampage. Seems my guitar quest is dying as I realise I'm not going to get much better than what I've got, which is good. So... I quite like those NL212 cabs.. I imagine one of those with a lightweight head would be awesome. Seriously - these ARE good sounding, huggable (edit - giggable!!) and light, right? They seem like the perfect solution unless tone suffers due to material / mass.

Anything new? Guess features I like:
Light, fx loop, Reverb, one or three channels - two is a bit naff, powerful enough for gigs, reliable, sparkly cleans and takes pedals well... That sort of thing. Ease of changing tunes would be good - isn't it plug and play tubrs with PRS and mesa amps? I can easily bias a tube myself but I'm thinking about mid-gig if anything pops.

Really not into large and heavy amps. Even the ID260 (which I still rate and has lots of redundancy for gigs - though admittedly a nice valve amp does get me that extra bit of crystal clear shimmer) is pushing it for me at only 26kg.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    I just have to say it. THR head. Exactly what you have just described and some more.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    Without question, the best Head.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited April 2016
    Ok. So I need to check out:

Victory V40 and similar
    THD
    (Are these loud enough to gig with un-mic'd...)

And check NL212 suitability

I'd hope to try whatever I buy in person but don't think I'll be able to.
    If THD is modeller I'll have to think on it as already have the ID260 and might fancy something with real valves, as folk keep saying I should try
    If THR is modeller I'll have to think on it as already have the ID260 and might fancy something with real valves, as folk keep saying I should try

Yes THR is modelling but seriously don't let that cloud your judgement. I have gigged with it (and we are loud) and it was killer. I've said this a few times but it's the best amp I've ever plugged into. Valve or anything else. It has all the dynamics you could ever want, takes pedals as good as anything out there and gives you a massive amount of options yet still doesn't send you option blind.

If you want to try one, Guitar Guitar Glasgow usually stock them if you can get over there. If not, Edinburgh could probably pull one over for you. Speak to Chris and tell him you've been speaking to me. One thing to bear in mind though, turn it up. You wouldn't expect to plug into a Mesa, Suhr, Friedman and play at bedroom levels. It can do this but you will only really "get it" when you are moving air.

I'll try one next time in through in Glasgow 8)
    I love that store. Edinburgh is good but the boutique basement section in the Glasgow store is great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I love that store. Edinburgh is good but the boutique basement section in the Glasgow store is great.
    It really is. Whenever I have meetings there, I leave my wallet at home.

• kinkin Frets: 1015
    i'd have to say a girl called Maria i met briefly when i was about twenty two..
    19reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    rossyamaha;1048363" said:
    thomasross20 said:

It really is. Whenever I have meetings there, I leave my wallet at home.

They had that Gibson roadshow and supposedly about 80% of sales was in Glasgow, not Epsom! Imagine that
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Have a look at Zilla cabs @thomasross20

Really great cabs which are really well priced and sound excellent. Also Paul is a gent and you can pick any look you want.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Gassage said:
    Without question, the best Head.

Certainly not !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Do you mainly need a good clean sound or clean and gain?
    If it's both then I'd have a look at the evh amps, the 50w ticks the boxes for lightweight but you might find it easier to use as a two channel amp (unless you have a way to balance ch1/2 volume - I use a multifx for that). But ch1 clean and 3 for gain is awesome.
    If you want great cleans and get your drive from pedals then it's a different hunt - I love the fender twin for this but there are plenty of other great options depending on budget.
    Good shout on Zilla, I remember them recommended before.

EVH - will check it, thanks. Just heading off to cinema for now
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    If you want single channel clean that takes pedals well check out the brunetti singleman head. It's stunning.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24657
    Mesa Dual Rectifier Multi-Watt.

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. [/Sporky]
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    The best head I ever had was from this Polish woman I met on MySpace many moons ago. She had a body like a racecar and a throat like a Dyson......

Oh I think I misread the question......
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318

Was this her?
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have to say, I was expecting a very different conversation on this thread...and wondered why this fell under the "amp" category.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    edited April 2016
    Get a valve 100 watt half stack and a gym membership. Everything else will be some kind of compromise for player enjoyment if you're after 'the best' for rock music - the thump off a big rig is the best fun IMO, and probably what the guitarists you listen to have used.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    Lift some weights,build some strength and buy an old school Marshall or Hiwatt.
    Pure class.
    Gods voice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom