"Bro Metal"

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'd put MJK, Stayley, Cornell, and Serj Tankian way above Neil Fallon for lyricism - and general vocal tone overall tbh!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22933
    Speaking of lyrics - and way off topic - I was listening to the new Santana album, Santana IV, the other day.  The lyrics on that, presumably by Gregg Rolie, are absolutely cretinous.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    Bro metal I suspect is a lot to do with the Pantera fan base.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited May 2016
    Could it be played as intro music for WWE? If so, its bro metal.

I dig this riff mind

Andrew WK is probably more self-aware and campy than most.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    hugbot said:
    Could it be played as intro music for WWE? If so, its bro metal.

Yeah, that or UFC.
    Or people who list their favourite film as Die Hard.
  • Bro metal, Oh deer : ( 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22933
    edited May 2016
    Drew_fx said:
    This is a tune!

What a sick riff.
    Well... I have to apologise.  Anyone who has a video with sword-fighting skeleton warriors is OK in my book.

I have to be honest, I've watched the clips in this thread - it's stuff I've mostly heard before, but not for a long time - and I've enjoyed them. They may not be very clever, but they make pleasingly big riffy noises.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    Disturbed are amazing. Indestructible is one of the best produced albums I've ever heard. 

5FDP are kind of an almost made it band for me, I saw them at a festival in between devil driver and killswitch engage and they schooled both bands in terms of live performance but I just dont think their songs are quite up to scratch. 

I remember hating limp bizkit when they were first around but I guess hearing them week in / week out at metal clubs has rubbed off cos now I actually like them quite a bit..could jsut be nostalgia though.

It's a bit weird to hear SOAD as up there in best lyrics in metal though, there's some pretty funny parts but theres also a lot of tripe and nonsense in their lyrics. 

BTBAM Ive only heard one album but wasn't impressed, I do remember that they included a booklet that had the meanings of the songs included in it though. . 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    oh yeah godsmack...dont know them that well but I like this:

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    So, it's Nu Metal but just under a different banner, then?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nah. It's just metal. But wankers put "bro" at the start of it, because right now it's totally PC to insult young guys with the pejorative term "bro" because they think they're better/more sophisticated than everyone else.

But then you realise that these cunts just listen to CHVRCHES and Noah and the fucking Whale, and then you realise their opinion counts for fuck all.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Awh, he's all angry because some people have said the music he listens to is shit
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Awh, he's all angry because some people have said the music he listens to is shit
    Oh pipe down Johnathan.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    edited May 2016
    Seriously for a second, Drew.
    Do you see the argument that some of these bands are a bit... unsophisticated?
    I'm not saying it is necessarily a bad thing.
    I like some of the bands here (although not really a Limp Bizkit fan) but that is sometimes in spite of some elements in their music.

For me it is a time and a place thing- if I am in the gym, or on the bikes or even in a bit of an aggressive mood then the lyrical subtlety of Porcupine Tree is somewhat lost and I might go for something a bit more direct.

Other times I'll listen to Godsmack or Pantera or even Metallica and roll my eyes just a bit and the 'yee-haw, let's kick some fuckin' ass, mother fucker'-ness of it all.

Does this not happen with you?

edited May 2016
    octatonic said:
    Seriously for a second, Drew.
    Do you see the argument that some of these bands are a bit... unsophisticated?
    I'm not saying it is necessarily a bad thing.
    I like some of the bands here (although not really a Limp Bizkit fan) but that is sometimes in spite of some elements in their music.

For me it is a time and a place thing- if I am in the gym, or on the bikes or even in a bit of an aggressive mood then the lyrical subtlety of Porcupine Tree is somewhat lost and I might go for something a bit more direct.

Other times I'll listen to Godsmack or Pantera or even Metallica and roll my eyes just a bit and the 'yee-haw, let's kick some fuckin' ass, mother fucker'-ness of it all.

Does this not happen with you?

Not really no. I get that a bit when I listen to The Cure, or The Smiths, or even something like Oasis or Blur. I feel a bit dirty listening to those bands.

But I don't feel that way at all about Limp Bizkit or Godsmack or Pantera or any of those bands. Actually I feel it more when I listen to something like Porcupine Tree - Wilson's lyrics are a bit twee. When was the last time Godsmack wrote a song about Trains? lol.

Of course I see the argument that they're unsophisticated. Doesn't mean it is of any less value artistically imho. You're right - time and a place for this stuff... when I'm in an aggressive mood, I listen to some of these bands, or even Cradle of Filth or Dimmu Borgir or Meshuggah.

I have a wide variety of tastes Jim.

Do you not see that the entire point I was making is that it's just metal, and the term "bro metal" comes from people who want to laud it over others, as if their particular taste in metal is any better or of more value? Fuck that.

I guess fundamentally I identify more with angry-shouty man than I do morose self-important vegan hipster man.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    edited May 2016
    Hahahahaha oh man. These bands, some of them, I listened to when I was like 13. Now I can't do it anymore. This kinda metal is still very popular in the US though. 

So admittedly I do have to agree with some of those who have posted in here about liking them, because, they don't have the most meaningful lyrics but between them they've come up with a handful of great songs each and some have been posted here... like "I Stand Alone" (Godsmack), "Bad Magick" (again - Godsmack)... and a personal favourite is "Redefine" by Soil! 

FFDP are just shit though. They're like the bro-metal version of Trivium. Terrible. 

I mean there's some bands who can do it because they did it and they did it well - Godsmack, Soil... but then there's just some who are shit.

Fuck, Andrew W.K. - I never got into him. Wasn't his album called "I Get Wet" or something?? I remember... didn't he have that song... Party Hard? Let's get a party going blah blah blah blah etc etc we will always party hard PARTY HARD PARTY HARD!

Good riff. Fucking abolition of a song though. 

So what about what I picked up in Cash Converters earlier for 30 cents - a copy of P.O.D's "Satellite" album. That one that has that really fucking good song "Alive" on it. Could you call that bro metal?? 

And I also got a copy of "Hi-Fi Serious" by A. Now there's a band who's really hard to track down because their name appears in so many words because it's just the one letter. 

So glad I found it haha.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    edited May 2016
    This kind of metal to my mind is a bit "dumb:, but I'm also of the opinion that most great rock bands are kind of dumb. Its not like Led Zepplin where a particularly dignified band. Or Nirvana. They got elevated to that "serious band" status after the fact when in reality a solid 50% of their lyrics are jokey nonsense.

Rock is inherently ridiculous, the point its to just embrace it and go with it.

The absolute WORST bands are often the ones that have zero sense of humour about what they do.

I was listening to KoRns back catalog the other day and realised they've got some really creative arrangements going on in their songs. Their whole thing of 7 string guitar + slap bass + rap + robert smith type histronics + no guitar solos was pretty bold till a bunch of inferior bands ran in into the ground. 
    edited May 2016

And I also got a copy of "Hi-Fi Serious" by A. Now there's a band who's really hard to track down because their name appears in so many words because it's just the one letter. 

So glad I found it haha.
    A apparantly named themselves that so they'd be easy to find in alphabetical record shops. As soon as a bands online presence became an important thing that backfired spectacularly.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28369
    Also "A" were surely punk? Though I can see that "Nothing" might have confused a lot of people.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."

Fuck, Andrew W.K. - 
    Now that's something I think we can all agree with.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ