"Bro Metal"

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited May 2016
    oh yeah godsmack...dont know them that well but I like this:

If you like that, you might his solo effort. I really, really like this album.

...and the cellist is absolutely gorgeous
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    I've worn out two CD copies of Chocolate Starfish, I own Soil, POD, SOAD, Pantera albums etc. I like riffs and groove and vocal delivery - attitude can matter more than lyrics depending on the mood I'm in. There's plenty of other music to listen to when lyrics are what matters.

This kind of metal had mass appeal in the 2000s because it was fun and grooved basically like angry pop music. Metal hasn't really been mainstream in any of its subsequent forms - djent doesn't get mainstream coverage and there's too much screaming/growling in metal core for the same level of mass appeal. And again I own most of the Periphery, KSE, Trivium, Darkest Hour albums etc etc, I do like those genres but the fact is they're not as mainstream friendly as the 'bro' metal bands listed.

I saw POD last year and they were awesome live.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    edited May 2016
    Hahahahaha oh man. These bands, some of them, I listened to when I was like 13. Now I can't do it anymore. This kinda metal is still very popular in the US though. 

So admittedly I do have to agree with some of those who have posted in here about liking them, because, they don't have the most meaningful lyrics but between them they've come up with a handful of great songs each and some have been posted here... like "I Stand Alone" (Godsmack), "Bad Magick" (again - Godsmack)... and a personal favourite is "Redefine" by Soil! 

FFDP are just shit though. They're like the bro-metal version of Trivium. Terrible. 

I mean there's some bands who can do it because they did it and they did it well - Godsmack, Soil... but then there's just some who are shit.

Fuck, Andrew W.K. - I never got into him. Wasn't his album called "I Get Wet" or something?? I remember... didn't he have that song... Party Hard? Let's get a party going blah blah blah blah etc etc we will always party hard PARTY HARD PARTY HARD!

Good riff. Fucking abolition of a song though. 

So what about what I picked up in Cash Converters earlier for 30 cents - a copy of P.O.D's "Satellite" album. That one that has that really fucking good song "Alive" on it. Could you call that bro metal?? 

And I also got a copy of "Hi-Fi Serious" by A. Now there's a band who's really hard to track down because their name appears in so many words because it's just the one letter. 

So glad I found it haha.
    Surely Trivium are also fucking terrible? Just making sure that we're all on the same wave length here?

I saw them live the other week. It was so bad people were leaving. I'd have done the same if I wasn't reviewing the gig. Truly awful.

WTF is bro metal? I like most of the bands mentioned here to one extent or another. Lyrics are probably bottom of the list for me on "shit I care about" when listening to rock/metal.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28369
    edited May 2016
    joneve said:
    WTF is bro metal? 

I think it seems to be metal that definitely doesn't mention blood or dragons, to differentiate from both metal that definitely
    does mention blood and/or dragons, and metal where no-one can tell whether it mentions blood and/or dragons or not.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22934
    octatonic said:
    One band that I am absolutely loving at the moment is Shinedown.
    Every song on the album is a potential single.
    Again, not the deepest of lyrics.

I listened to their most recent album at the weekend (... and now I know who Zach Myers, of PRS signature fame, is).

All quite pleasant, but nowhere near being any kind of metal.  Which isn't a criticism, I just expected something a little heavier.

Philly_Q said:
    octatonic said:

I listened to their most recent album at the weekend (... and now I know who Zach Myers, of PRS signature fame, is).

All quite pleasant, but nowhere near being any kind of metal.  Which isn't a criticism, I just expected something a little heavier.

Their first two albums are heavier, but still aren't heavy enough to be classed as metal.

Amaryllis is an absolutely exceptional album, however.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited May 2016
    joneve said:

Surely Trivium are also fucking terrible? Just making sure that we're all on the same wave length here?

I saw them live the other week. It was so bad people were leaving. I'd have done the same if I wasn't reviewing the gig. Truly awful.

WTF is bro metal? I like most of the bands mentioned here to one extent or another. Lyrics are probably bottom of the list for me on "shit I care about" when listening to rock/metal.
    bad how? I'm curious whenever I hear of a pro touring band being honest to god bad live.
    hugbot said:
    joneve said:

bad how? I'm curious whenever I hear of a pro touring band being honest to god bad live.
    In fairness, it may have been more to do with the sound because whoever was doing their FOH clearly a.) didn't give a shit or b.) was having a REALLY fucking bad day. It also seems like they compress the fuck out of Matt Heafy's vocals to project them better (probably because his screams/growls aren't very powerful)...which is fine...except when he's addressing the crowd he sounds like a robot.

But because the sound was so bad, there was absolutely ZERO energy and they don't really have any stage presence at all.

Oh and their Spinal Tap-esque stage props are laughable.

Don't get me wrong - I don't mind the odd trivium song on record (Boat Rudder Strange Mountain and In Waves are decent!) and was quite looking forward to seeing them live, but they were absolutely pitiful.

Their support, Heart of a Coward, were fucking AWESOME, however.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    The bro tag comes form change in metal crowds in the 90s. Pantera and then later the nu metal crowds brought a more "jock" type  to metal gigs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24349
    joneve said:

Philly_Q said:
    octatonic said:

Their first two albums are heavier, but still aren't heavy enough to be classed as metal.

@Joneve

I hadn't heard of Shinedown - listening to Amaryllis on YT now.

I like it!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    edited May 2016
    Amaryllis is a pretty heavy album- it might not be as brutal as Sweden's finest but I reckon they are hard rock into alt metal.
    They aren't exactly a folk band.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Have people checked out Stone Broken as well?

Sort of in the same ballpark as Shinedown.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    5FDP are kind of an almost made it band for me, I saw them at a festival in between devil driver and killswitch engage

Never has the term "shit sandwich" been so apt.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Andrew WK is the sort of person there needs to be more of in the world. His music might not be the most life-affirming stuff you'll ever hear,  but his motivational talks and Ask Andrew WK is awesome.

http://www.villagevoice.com/topic/ask-andrew-wk-6365558

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    Bidley said:
    5FDP are kind of an almost made it band for me, I saw them at a festival in between devil driver and killswitch engage

That's not really the point though is it. The point is that from a performance perspective they schooled 2 bands who are definitely generally considered more favourably that 5DP. 

I reckon what mainly lets them down is their song writing.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Bidley said:

That's not really the point though is it. The point is that from a performance perspective they schooled 2 bands who are definitely generally considered more favourably that 5DP. 

I reckon what mainly lets them down is their song writing.

I wasn't disputing your point, just expressing my dislike for all three bands in a crass manner :)
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    RobDavies said:
    So, it's Nu Metal but just under a different banner, then?
    I dunno, this is nu metal but it isnt bro metal:

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    joneve said:

Philly_Q said:
    octatonic said:

@Joneve

I hadn't heard of Shinedown - listening to Amaryllis on YT now.

I like it!
    I had it on in the car on the way back from Kent last night - forgot how good it was. Some really good tunes! 
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    RobDavies said:
    So, it's Nu Metal but just under a different banner, then?
    I dunno, this is nu metal but it isnt bro metal:

Never seen Coal Chamber, but want to.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**