Unemployed...by choice

What's Hot
Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
Not sure if it is the continuation of the mid-life crisis type part of my life but have left work today.

Having worked in a severely stressful environment for the past year I have decided after one too many sleepless nights to take a month or so off, so handed in my notice and left at the earliest opportunity, left on good terms with maybe the door slightly ajar for a possible return if needed.

It`s going to be weird to start having but hopefully enjoyable, have decided to go to the gym every morning, swim and do cardio for a fitness buzz (been sat in an office for 12 months) work on my golf handicap and do all the home jobs that I`ve been putting off for the past few years, oh and try to see my folks more.

Anyone else done this? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2909
    Wish I could.

Early morning workouts are King.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    The only time I've left a job is when I got booted out.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1675
    I left my job of 20 years at the end of January, took a deal that was on offer, along with about 70 other guys. I haven't missed it at all. The stress had become enormous and I had to deliver more and more with less and less. We've sold the house, moving in 10 days, downsized to a 3 bed semi and no mortgage. Happy days! Time to take in a bit more of what life has to offer. Good luck! Rob
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Work for yourself .. I've been doing it for over 20 years. I'm now scaling back and will probably drop to three days a week and then retire. I have no debts and the kids have long gone.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24737
    I quit my job 7 years ago because my employers were twats. I got my self set up within a week and had stolen my best clients within 2 weeks. Run my own little firm ever since.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3500
    Tone71 said:
    It`s going to be weird to start having but hopefully enjoyable, have decided to go to the gym every morning, swim and do cardio for a fitness buzz (been sat in an office for 12 months) work on my golf handicap and do all the home jobs that I`ve been putting off for the past few years, oh and try to see my folks more.

I'm sure for this first week or two you'll do these things.  

A few weeks later you'll be sat on your sofa wearing a pair of y-fronts, watching day time television with the curtains closed in the daylight eating the cold remnants of a pot noodle, not having not left your home for several weeks.  

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24737
    Tone71 said:

A few weeks later you'll be sat on your sofa wearing a pair of y-fronts, watching day time television with the curtains closed in the daylight eating the cold remnants of a pot noodle, not having not left your home for several weeks.  

And wanking. Lots and lots of wanking.

When it is inspired by Loose Women on lunchtime telly it's time to seek help.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27810
    Tone71 said:

And it really can't get much better than that ...

;)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    TTony said:
    Tone71 said:

And it really can't get much better than that ...

;)

Amen, roll on 2 weeks time
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427

I discovered the hard way,  that if you become unemployed and its your fault,

...IE ;  you left , or where sacked , you are entitled to no benefits whatsoever for 3 months , nothing, nada ,zip , squat, fuck all .

No matter how many years you have paid taxes for.

..not bitter or anything , just sayin' .  :x

although , there's always the wanking .

No one can take that away.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Yes maybe start a diary to keep track of your wanks
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Congrats, buddy. I'd be right behind you if I didn't actually quite like my job.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6233
    tFB Trader
    Massive congratulations....yhat is the dream! My wife has just quit her job to run ThorpyFx full-time I'm so proud that she gets to enjoy being her own boss!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    edited May 2016
    I walked out of my last permanent job in 2008, got really fed up making excuses to the clients for the actions of the fuckwits in the sales team so left them to it.

I went temping, which led to me doing consulting work and I gave that up full time four years ago. I now do it as and when needed, pretty much when it suits me.

Scary for the first few months, but when you find your own pace it is really liberating.  Planning as much as you can is key however, never hurts to have something set aside or available for the little plan 'B's that life occasionally throws at you.   A little 'life laundry' never hurts too so you can rationalise a bit and cut out a few unnecessary things.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    I got out of IT about 13 years ago.
    Best thing I ever did for myself.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Fretwired said:
     I have no debts and the kids have long gone.
    Chilli's top tip: Just make sure no-one ever digs up the patio.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    @octatonic said:
    Oddly so did I.. :)

Have you worked out what you are going to do yet?

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27810
    ThorpyFX said:
    My wife has just quit her job to run ThorpyFx full-time
    It's about time that company got some decent staff in.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    JookyChap said:
    @octatonic said:
    Oddly so did I.. :)

Have you worked out what you are going to do yet?
    I'm sort of doing it.
    I think it is mostly described as pissing about.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    I walked away from a very stressful job a couple of years ago - I have no regrets. The stress was definitely going to kill me.

I worked for a friend for a couple of years - but unfortunately his business closed.

I'm about to go self-employed and am really looking forward to being master of my own destiny and working for who I chose, when I want to, on terms which suit me.

I expect to be poorer - but much happier....