Comments

• Any idea what I should pay for an early Nineties Rat? Also, I see there is a big box reissue from 1995 for £99, is that a fair price?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • baddog01baddog01 Frets: 8
    If you know how to use a soldering iron :) I've built a couple clones and loved building the pedals and playing them.

http://store.generalguitargadgets.com/kits/kits-distortion/rodent-complete-kit.html
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    Any idea what I should pay for an early Nineties Rat? Also, I see there is a big box reissue from 1995 for £99, is that a fair price?
    There's no difference between an early 90s Rat ('Rat 2') and the current one, is there?   Neither has the LM308 opamp.   I can't recall what year the country of production changed; much later, I think. late 2000s?

I'd just get a used early-mid 2000s one in really nice nick for about  £50.

re: Vintage Rat reissue:  unless it has the original opamp chip I wouldn't bother with it at that price.

have you already checked out:  http://webpages.charter.net/daosmun/

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Th newer Chinese ones are a bit rough sounding in my opinion

In the long run I would seriously advise putting more money aside and getting a ThorpyFX Warthog
    It is like someone took the Rat  and eliminated or improved upon all the things that are seen as it's shortcomings leaving a very usable and musical pedal.

It's more money to spend but way more likely to be a pedal you'll keep.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Cheers fellas, I live this place. I think I'll leave the clones alone for now, at least until I've tried the real thing, that way I'll know if the clone is any good or not. What I'm wondering now is does the LM 308 make a huge difference if the current Rat 2 is a dead on circuit otherwise?
    Well think about this for a second, what is "the real thing"? Its a circuit. its not like the ones with a proco logo on have some special essence. Plenty of pedals from an original factory run end up sounding slightly different anyway.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    Early 90's Rat2's were still made in the US, I believe, and some will have an LM308. They used CTS pots, whereas the chinese ones don't, the PCB layout is different and they quite possibly use other lesser quality components.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    US Rat2 = flat box
    Chinese Rat2 = sloped box
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    tFB Trader
    I modded a Chinese Proc Co Rat once that all had all Reverse Log pots instead of the standard Log Pots! Made the controls have a useful range of 0-0.5!  :))
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone tried the Soothsayer and compared it to a real RAT? I loved the Soothsayer before I sent it back t the dealer, I've been pondering buying another but will hold out for a RAT if they fair favourably in comparison.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • hugbot;1084214" said:
    StrummyBrummie said:

True enough I guess, but I'm just after whatever makes a Rat a Rat & it seems reasonable to try the original manufacturer first.

On the other hand @FelineGuitars The Warthog might be a good shout, the Muffroom wasn't for me, but I live my Gunshot.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22138
    I modded a Chinese Proc Co Rat once that all had all Reverse Log pots instead of the standard Log Pots! Made the controls have a useful range of 0-0.5!  :))
    Was this a factory error? I've got one now that is similar. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    In my opinion, yes it is worth trying a proper, USA-made ProCo Rat. Buy an old one and you'll be able to resell it for the same price if you don't like it, it's unlikely to break, it's built with the best parts which do seem to affect the tone slightly regardless that the many copies and modern Chinese version use the same circuit, and above all you will know it's the real deal so there's no nagging doubt about whether the one you're trying is exactly the same or not.

I honestly don't get the point of buying clones of common pedals that aren't expensive in the first place and are often better made anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    edited May 2016
    ICBM said:
    no nagging doubt
    The crux of the matter ^
  • baddog01baddog01 Frets: 8
    edited May 2016
    If a pedal is cheaper to buy in its original form than as a clone than sure buy the original. I personally like to spend the time assembling a clone. I know how it's put together and pretty much know it will be easier to mod. Just me I guess . :)

If the pedal is expensive then try a clone. A Klon clone is what maybe $75 from GGG. I'd take that over a couple grand .:) I picked up a Chinese Klon clone for $45 shipped. Sounds good although not the best board setup. Didn't know about GGG at the time I ordered the Klon Clone. Might just order the GGG Klon Clone and put it in the Chinese Chassis.
  • ICBM;1084828" said:
    In my opinion, yes it is worth trying a proper, USA-made ProCo Rat. Buy an old one and you'll be able to resell it for the same price if you don't like it, it's unlikely to break, it's built with the best parts which do seem to affect the tone slightly regardless that the many copies and modern Chinese version use the same circuit, and above all you will know it's the real deal so there's no nagging doubt about whether the one you're trying is exactly the same or not.

I honestly don't get the point of buying clones of common pedals that aren't expensive in the first place and are often better made anyway.
    I'm quite prone to nagging doubt so that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to have to wait for a new credit card though first. Someone got hold of the details & tried to start spending on it yesterday. Luckily Barclaycard spotted it (thank God!) and there was no harm done, just the inconvenience of waiting for a new card & then having to register it with PayPal.

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I spent years on the ultimate rat search, for me the current Rat2 is my favourite, I toured one for the best part of two years, it was awesome.

photo 966841_10152864342160061_904352124_o_zps1faf741c.jpg
  • Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    tFB Trader
    Was this a factory error? I've got one now that is similar. 
    Yes, factory error. 

Probably were out of stock of Log pots so just threw in whatever else they had in stock. Bound to have happened to more than one pedal. 
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited May 2016
    Cheers fellas, I live this place. I think I'll leave the clones alone for now, at least until I've tried the real thing, that way I'll know if the clone is any good or not. What I'm wondering now is does the LM 308 make a huge difference if the current Rat 2 is a dead on circuit otherwise?
    It doesn't, bugger all difference in the ICs.
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2220
    edited May 2016
    @timmysoft I've got a stock non-vintage, non-US Rat 2 as well, and it sounds fantastic. Glad I don't have to fork out the £ for an 80s one.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    BintyTwanger77;1086503" said:
    @timmysoft I've got a stock non-vintage, non-US Rat 2 as well, and it sounds fantastic. Glad I don't have to fork out the £ for an 80s one.
    Ive had them all and apart from the Duecetone the Chinese rat2 is my favourite, especially at volume!