Comments

• So are we saying that the RAT2 is as good as an original? How different does it sound?

I'm contemplating a Soothsayer and a WFR, but won't bother if the RAT2 does a good enough job.

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have decided to go for a mid nineties big box reissue with the LM 308. I'll be getting it next week when my credit card /PayPal issues have been resolved. It should give me a decent taste of what the Rat is about & I'll go from there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    edited May 2016 tFB Trader
    So are we saying that the RAT2 is as good as an original? How different does it sound?

I'm contemplating a Soothsayer and a WFR, but won't bother if the RAT2 does a good enough job.

@Jonathanthomas83 I have a couple of Rat 2's and have modded some WFR's. The WFR were exaclty the same as the Rat2 just without a LED.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Jonathanthomas83;1086612" said:
    So are we saying that the RAT2 is as good as an original? How different does it sound?

I'd say the latest rat2 is as good and the controls are slightly more responsive.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I have decided to go for a mid nineties big box reissue with the LM 308. I'll be getting it next week when my credit card /PayPal issues have been resolved. It should give me a decent taste of what the Rat is about & I'll go from there.

A wise choice.
    I've had quite a few different versions and that one is my favourite. It sounds especially good on slide guitar.
  • @Sassafras I'm looking forward to getting my paws on it. :)
  • Thanks @timmysoft and @magnetic_effects, RAT 2 sounds like a winner then, why pay more. Starting to really understand why this forum has a better rep than TGP...stock answer there would have been the most expensive one usually!

@magnetic_effects, out of interest, what kind of mods were you doing on WFRs and would the RAT 2 have benefitted from similar mods?

• baddog01baddog01 Frets: 8
    Are there any well known players that use Rat pedals in there rigs? Just wondering ....
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    @baddog01 the first person who springs to mind is John Scofield.
  • baddog01;1087308" said:
    Are there any well known players that use Rat pedals in there rigs? Just wondering ....
    Gilmour,Thom York, James Hetfield, through to Buzz Osborne & the bloke from Melt Banana. The list is long as your arm.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    baddog01;1087308" said:
    Gilmour,Thom York, James Hetfield, through to Buzz Osborne & the bloke from Melt Banana. The list is long as your arm.

Majority of the early Foo Fighters records too.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    edited May 2016 tFB Trader
    @Jonathanthomas83 A couple of the WFR's I modded to add a LED  and another one I tweaked the eq.

Like a lot of classic pedals the Rat is ripe for many mods but, in its stock form, it is still a great pedal. I used a stock one for years. I recommend trying a stock one before looking into mods. Hard to know what changes you want, if any, before trying the real deal.

For the current Chinese production Proc Co Rat I recommend making sure it is built to the correct spec. I have seen a few with the wrong parts values. 

• @Magnetic_effects, that's good advice! Thank you!

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited May 2016
    stickyfiddle;1087321" said:
    StrummyBrummie said:

baddog01;1087308" said:Are there any well known players that use Rat pedals in there rigs? Just wondering ....

Majority of the early Foo Fighters records too.
    Yeah, when I hear the old school foo fighters I tend to think ac30 and rat or Marshall and rat. Though I confess I don't know what rigs they used.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

I can't remember what mine is. @Megii, what did you sell me again?

Which ever one it is, I love it. I took a while to work out how to get it sounding good though.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    baddog01 said:

Er... yeah.

Proco have a list, but it's far from comprehensive:

http://ratdistortion.com/artists/

Jeff Beck (Solo)
    Joe Walsh (Solo
    Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)
    Elliot Easton (The Cars)
    Peter Buck (REM)
    Andy Summers (The Police)
    Joe Perry (Aerosmith)
    Frank Black (Pixies)
    John Ashton (The Psychedelic Furs)
    Pat DiNizio (The Smithereens)
    Graham Coxon (Blur)
    Mike Campbell (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)
    Thom Yorke (Radiohead)
    Johnny Greenwood (Radiohead)
    Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth)
    Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth)
    Justin Chancellor (Tool)
    Derek Whibley (Sum 41)
    Kris Roe (The Ataris)
    Johnny Buckland (Coldplay)
    John Scofield (Solo)
    Peter Holmstrom (Dandy Warhols)
    Ira Kaplan (Yo La Tengo)
    Tom Linton (Jimmy Eat World)

Wikipedia's list is better:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Co_RAT#Notable_users
    Ichirou Agata of Melt-Banana 
    John Ashton of Psychedelic Furs
    Jeff Beck
    Matt Bellamy
    James Dean Bradfield
    Nuno Bettencourt
    Peter Buck
    Bernard Butler
    Jerry Cantrell
    Nels Cline of Wilco
    Justin Chancellor
    Lawrence Chandler
    John Christ
    Kurt Cobain
    Graham Coxon
    Francis Dunnery
    Kevin Eubanks
    Robert Fripp
    Bill Frisell
    David Gilmour
    Dave Grohl
    James Hetfield
    Scott Kannberg
    John Linger of Neils Children
    Stephen Malkmus
    Thurston Moore
    Krist Novoselic
    Sunn O)))
    Buzz Osborne
    Paranoid Time
    Joe Perry
    Paul Reynolds of A Flock of Seagulls
    Kurt Rosenwinkel
    John Scofield
    Sonny Sharrock
    Justin Shekoski
    Kevin Shields
    Andy Summers
    Alex Turner
    Joe Walsh
    Jamie West-Oram of The Fixx
    Thom Yorke.

So, you know. One or two.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

Everyone mentions Jonny Greenwood when naming Rat players, but I don't think he does (or ever has).

http://thekingofgear.com/jonny

Same deal for Ed.

http://thekingofgear.com/ed#pedals

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    edited May 2016
    StrummyBrummie" said:
    [quote="baddog01"]Are there any well known players that use Rat pedals in there rigs? Just wondering ....

[/quote]

Thom Yorke used a Turbo Rat, as does Thurston Moore.

My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Johnnyseven;1087590" said:
    [quote="StrummyBrummie"][quote="baddog01"]Are there any well known players that use Rat pedals in there rigs? Just wondering ....

[/quote]

Thom Yorke used a Turbo Rat, as does Thurston Moore.

[/quote]

Be sure to tell Wikipedia.
    :P
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22138
    Magnetic_Effects said: Yes, factory error. Probably were out of stock of Log pots so just threw in whatever else they had in stock. Bound to have happened to more than one pedal. 
    Wow. And I thought I'd just got a knackered battered used one. Most interesting. 

As a serial Rat geek who started this year with a double figure collection, I'll offer up some thoughts. I will make reference to this link:

-LM308 versus ODO7: I don't think the chip matters one bit. Other factors (component tolerances, slight changes in compotent values etc) are more important. 
    -The Chinese Rats sound brighter than other Rats. They have a bit more clarity, not quite the same bottom end, and they don't have the same fuzziness you can get with a big box reissue for instance. There's absolutely no reason at all why a Chinese-made Rat won't work for you: it all boils down to what you want soundwise. 
    -Personally my favourite Rat ever is a vintage box big reissue. It's fuzzier than any other Rat I've played (I have two more reissues: they don't have quite the same fuzz factor), dialed right up it's almost into Big Muff territory. It sounds huge and perfect for my shoegazey shit. 
    -I've not played a bad Rat pedal. The Deucetone has some really good sounds in it (prices have shot up over the last year, a long way removed from the £50 I paid for one a few years ago). I could get by with a Chinese Rat quite happily. You don't necessarily have to pay out huge money for a good Rat if you keep your eyes open. Start with a cheap Rat. If it works for you, stay with it. If not, then go for a USA RAT 2. 
    -Rat mods: I think they're shit. Takes away what makes a Rat so much fun. 
    -As said previously, there are USA Rats with the ODO7DP chip. This came toward the end of the USA production period prior to production moving to China. I've recorded a very quick comparison between a USA-made ODO7DP chip RAT2 versus my fave LM308 USA big box reissue. All the knobs were at 12 o'clock, all recorded DI into Reaper. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom