124»

Comments

• Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    edited May 2016 tFB Trader

-The Chinese Rats sound brighter than other Rats. 

Some of the Chinese Rats have a 0.0027uf cap instead of a 0.0033uf cap in the tone control. This makes them slightly brighter as they are not quite rolling of as much treble due to the different cap value. (Possibly faster slew rate of the ODO7 contributes as well but only if we are talking super anal bats with supersonic hearing listening in a studio! As you said, component tolerances matter way more. Totally agree.)

Much like the wrong value pots I suspect if they run out of a particular part they just throw in whatever else they have that is close. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    edited May 2016
    Possibly faster slew rate of the ODO7 contributes as well but only if we are talking super anal bats with supersonic hearing listening in a studio!
    The slew rate can make quite a difference in audio circuits because it limits the top-end response, well down into the 10KHz range or below. I suspect this is true even in a guitar pedal when the end result goes through a speaker with no real top-end at all, because the distortion characteristics are still affected by it to some extent.

This is exactly why vintage chips like the JRC4558D sound "better", I think - because technically they actually sound worse :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    edited May 2016 tFB Trader
    True in many applications. 

The slew rate of the LM308N is crazy low. The OD07 ain't much better. So the difference is less in this instance. Although, as I said, it can contribute. Easily adjusted though by upping the value of the external compensation cap to slow the slew rate.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    hobbio said:

I can't remember what mine is. @Megii, what did you sell me again?

Which ever one it is, I love it. I took a while to work out how to get it sounding good though.

Sorry mate, not been checking on the forum a lot lately. But it's a US made RAT2 which I would have bought around 1988. Glad to hear your getting on with it so well - I did have second thoughts before putting it up for sale, but it wasn't getting used, so nice that's it's found a happy home. :)
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4538
    A rat was used when song 2 by blur kicks in (by the bass player)
  • I got my Rat. :) But of course I had to complicate things by picking up a Keeley Stahlhammer a few days before it arrived. Let battle commence!
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i just got back into Rat's again...i keep going back and forth with Rats...this time its special..
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    Nice! Though I'd be scared to stand on it! Is it just a regular Rat 2 circuit?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A proper white face RAT! ;-) Nice!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The big box reissue is raw, wild, & fabulous. :) The Keeley Stahlhammer is very good too, it's a Rat circuit with a Marshall tone stack. Whilst I was able to dial in some very similar tones (and a bunch of smoother stuff besides), I have decided to keep the Rat. It has a sort of default unruliness that I really dig. If you fancy the Keeley it will probably be in the classifieds soon. Cheers for all the comments, they helped guide me to the right decision, and possibly gas for more Rats. :)
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22138
    @StrummyBrummie good, isn't it? :) 

• StrummyBrummieStrummyBrummie Frets: 265
    edited June 2016
    Heartfeltdawn;1096537" said:
    @StrummyBrummie good, isn't it? :) 
    It surely is. Thanks man. :)

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    samzadgan said:
    i just got back into Rat's again...i keep going back and forth with Rats...this time its special..
    albino rat !

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• stefken147stefken147 Frets: 51
    Isn't the Buffalo Fx Evolution a heavily modified RAT? Other clones I like the sound of are the Soothsayer and Vick audio G2
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    Isn't the Buffalo Fx Evolution a heavily modified RAT? Other clones I like the sound of are the Soothsayer and Vick audio G2

I thought the Buffalo Fx Evolution was Bigg Muff related?

I believe the T.rex Mudhoney is a modified Rat.

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• I have a Nano+ board with a Rat, an El Cap and my H9 from the bigger board on it, and was going to get a TS808 or TS9 before the Rat. I've heard they interact very well.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4538
    @bintytwanger77 they do in there