Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Have you owned your dream guitar from when you was a growing up.

What's Hot

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    DanR said:

Has anyone actually realised that dream, did it match your expectations or did you end up disappointed?

Yes, although not in the colour I envisaged.

Yes, no.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb376/musophilr/PR4_zps3e056aff.jpg
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    edited June 2016
    DanR said:

Has anyone actually realised that dream, did it match your expectations or did you end up disappointed?

Yes, although not in the colour I envisaged.

Yes, no.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb376/musophilr/PR4_zps3e056aff.jpg
    Do you still own that tank top?

Yeah, thought so. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    Not exactly my dream guitar, but I still have the very first guitar that was bought for me 50 years ago. My school employed a classical guitar teacher for the last 2 years that I had at school, and I took lessons. I still have the classical guitar. It's still just playable, though the top has "bellied" a bit around the bridge. It still sounds really pleasant.

My real favourites are the guitars that I've made for myself in the last 8 years,
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    edited June 2016
    Yes. Dream guitar was/is an Alpine White Les Paul Custom, mainly down to JDB from the Manics, seeing them play back around the time of The Holy Bible was a very exciting time :)

Got it new in 2008, it needed a good setup, but once that was done, it didn't disappoint. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

I suppose there is the '75 Les Paul Custom as well used by somebody famous in Quiet Riot who went on to join Ozzy and an original Kramer Pacer and an original small shop early '80's  Charvel, but I wouldn't pay the prices. 

A nice White Custom with a volute would be nice though.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    octatonic said:

Yes. I've worn it and others like it recently. And your problem is ...?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    octatonic said:

Yes. I've worn it and others like it recently. And your problem is ...?
    Faaaaaaar be it from me to criticise. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7010
    Kind of.

I always wanted a Les Paul ever since seeing Pagey playing one in Page and Plant Unledded. As soon as I could afford one, I bought an Epiphone Les Paul. A few years later I replaced the stock pickups with Kent Armstrongs, the tuners with Schaller locking units, put in a bone nut and a roller bridge and installed mad Pagey wiring. After all that the guitar played beautifully and I honestly lost interest in getting a genuine Gibbo.

Later, I got a Red Special after they started mass producing them. To be honest, it's a bit of a compromise - the vibrato system is nothing like the original (not sure how much difference it makes in practice), and the sound was much-improved by installing accurate reproduction Adeson pickups.

Finally, I got an N4 which is just lovely and plays like a dream.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    335 was my dream guitar so now I have a few.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    octatonic said:
    I was just making a joke. :)
    I'd love to have a Dean, but the only person who could pull that off mid-40's would be Dime himself, not that he'll have the chance.
    I'd still love a USA Dean, amazing guitars apparently. Probably wouldn't have one of the gaudy Dime ones (apart from the CFH you posted, which is quite significant to me, and the Dimeslime because green :D) but a nice USA ML or Z? Yeeeeees:

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes and no.

Dream guitar as a youngster was an SG because of Carlos at Woodstock. But I did have a Yamaha SG200 for a while in my teens, which was close enough.

Then I wanted an Ibanez Sabre 540 because of Satch. Never got one, but do now own a JS100, which again is close enough.

Both have satisfied the itch, many times over :)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Yes, I do.

I mostly played acoustic in my teens, and always wanted a Gibson acoustic after seeing one in a shop on a saturday afternoon drool visit. 

The one I saw way back when had a 'moustache' style bridge. So when it came down to it, I got a Songwriter Deluxe. Love it.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    My dream guitar has always been a White Falcon because of Stephen Stills and Neil Young. The issue is that I haven't got along with any other Gretsches I've tried, although I love Filtertrons.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    equalsql said:
    No... For me it was always a black Les Paul custom. The inner sleeve of Humple Pie's Performance album was my bible and Frampton's 3 pick-up Les Paul was stunning.
    I've got a 79 Les Paul Pro Deluxe but have never owned a custom.

Heh, real cool to see that inner sleeve again! My copy got nicked back at art college, around 1985
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Not so much a young un, but when I got into guitar I really wanted a Frank Gambale Ibanez Sabre in bright yellow.

I adored this album in particular:

Never got one. I did find one once but it wasn't a good example, bad condition, weird switching with micro switches, wonky knobs and no fancy inlays. I'd still quite like one but it is unlikely now as i will probably only play guitars I have built myself from now on.

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Two. First was a Red Special, we didn't know it was a home made guitar and judging by the blank looks at every music shop counter nobody else did either in the mid 80s so gave up on that. As tempting as it is now to buy a BMG I would feel uncomfortable owning a guitar that has such a strong connection to one player in the same manner that I wouldn't want to own a black Trans Am with a red strobe on the front.

The other was a Candy Apple Red Fender Stratocaster. I was at a wedding in Farnbrough in 1987 and it was the first time at the age of 8 that I had seen a Strat, I thought it was fucking amazing. God I wanted one and hounded my parents for one, but they were £700 and my parents were skipping meals... So when my son showed an interest in my Jackson and wanted his own instrument I bought him a Candy Apple Red Squire standard. The look on his face when he opened the case will live with me for ever. It's a really nice guitar, nicer than I thought it would be and while not a USA std it is close enough to scratch the itch.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

I dreamed of having a red special - ended up with a Brian May Guitar (not the burns one) and really disliked it.

The other guitar I coveted was a Fender Sambora Strat - I have such a beast and it's wonderful

• ColsCols Frets: 7010
    gubble;1108694" said:
    I dreamed of having a red special - ended up with a Brian May Guitar (not the burns one) and really disliked it.The other guitar I coveted was a Fender Sambora Strat - I have such a beast and it's wonderful
    What was the issue with the Red Special? If it was the amplified sound, a set of Adeson pickups works wonders. I found the stock units to be quite harsh.
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018
    I realised that dream last November; day after my 31st birthday, day my Student Finance (finally) came in.
    I first picked up a guitar summer 1999 and decided to 'play guitar' February 2000 (on my father's birthday) when I was 13.
    I very quickly coveted Slash's GoldTop Gibson Les Paul and wanted a Les Paul of my own.
    Last November I got a GoldTop Dark Back Gibson Les Paul R7.

Also...
    When I was 13, in March, I bought a dilapidated LP shaped guitar cheap from Cash Converters that turned out to used to have been a Framus Hollywood from the 1960's.
    When I was 20 I had it fixed at Feline Guitars, when I was 21 (as a 21st birthday gift to myself) I had this vision of what I wanted this guitar to be when I first laid eyes on it come to fruition.
    Honest to God I thought I'd be 80 by the time it happened, but I was 21. 

• This guitar (Slash is playing).