Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Have you owned your dream guitar from when you was a growing up.

What's Hot

Comments

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Fez said:
    Cherry Red SG and no I have never found one that is the one. I always end up with strats. I.d love one of the Dan Erlwine Lazer guitars that Johnny Winter used.
    @Fez ;
    Me too - I was obsessed with Johnny Winter when I was younger and as a result dreamed of owning a Firebird. When I realised he had moved on to the Lazer I did a bit of research and that became my dream guitar.  

George Thorogood is another one of my guitar heroes so I wanted a Gibson ES125 as well.

Now I am older I can afford these guitars but I am also wiser and I know that it is pointless trying to emulate your favourite guitar players by replicating their gear.  But the Lazer has a siren - song pull over me and I may well have to give in to it.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4925
    I got my white Ric in 77.

I've never looked at any other instrument and thought I'd rather that than mine.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Yes - original pre-CBS Fiesta Red Strat.

It was exceptional - no Strat I've played before or since comes close. It was a '63 and very battered.

I sold it 20 years ago when I was short of money. A very foolish decision....
    That is a stunning post Richard. Wow.

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited January 2018
    The OP said "as a child"......so No.
    Every guitar that I  would draw as a child would have been easily identified as Fender Stratocaster.

But later I became obsessed with Gibson players, and even before I was out  of my teens I was searching for vintage Gibson guitars.

• LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018
    Skipped said:
    The OP said "as a child"......so No.
    Every guitar that I  would draw as a child would have been easily identified as Fender Stratocaster.

But later I became obsessed with Gibson players, and even before I was out  of my teens I was searching for vintage Gibson guitars.
    I like the Fender Stratocaster, and must admit when ever I thought of an electric guitar when I was a little boy/young lad, it was one of these.
    I never dreamed of owing one like I have this Gibson Les Paul I got last November that I also got to have my way with/customise to what I want it to be - I do own one, a nice one. .. Because it was like 'this guitar that was electric guitar' to me though back in the day - one of the first things I did was have a childhood throwback moment on it.

but so glad I got my

• LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018
    Stevepage said:
    Mine was a Ibanez JS1000. I really wanted the Chrome Boy when I first saw the cover of Crystal Planet. I finally got one a couple of years ago in a trade with a forum member.

I was chuffed to finally have one but I just didn't bond with it sadly. I traded it for a Charvel. I keep considering getting another.
    That guitar does look cool.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    When i were a nipper I took flamenco guitar lessons. The teachers friend lent his son a vintage 3 pickup les paul custom and a sunburst  pre cbs strat. 

They were the first real fender and gibson I ever played.

No chance of buying either now. Still lust after them though.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    When I was growing up (11/12 years old) I didn't know much about guitar gear but my dream was just to own a Fender Strat. I do now have an American standard and I do love it but I wish I could appreciate it now how much I would have then.

There was a phase when I was a teenager where I wanted an Ibanez 7-string (the nu metal phase) but alas I don't want one now.
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    Yeah, always wanted a shell pink Strat for no other reason than I loved the colour, finally picked up a CS beauty last year

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

Would have been Clapton's Blackie for me, and then a Floral Jem.

I owned a blk/maple Mexican Strat when I was young, but it was set up terribly, I couldn't play, and I eventually sold it. Think I should definitely get a black strat. I strat-less at present!

I got a Floral Jem for my 30th :)

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27004
    I fell in love with SGs the first time I (knowingly) saw one, which iirc was Stereophonics with Tom Jones on Top of the Pops. 

I've had a couple, and my current Std is just a brilliant guitar for the money. I'd like to try a CS one at some point, but I'm yet to find another I'd trade for. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Yes. 
    I went to Denmark street in the mid eighties as a teenager with my dad. 

It was the first time I'd ever been to a proper guitar shop, and it was the first time I'd ever seen a genuine Les Paul. 

I saw a wine red les paul in Rose Morris I think, and I desperately wanted it. 

I had to wait until 1996 before I got one, and 22 years later I still have it. 
    It doesn't get played as much as it used to (I prefer teles now), but I shall never sell it. 
  • No joke but before I got my first guitar I used to look at my older brother's copies of Melody Maker and Sounds magazines and dream of one day getting a Marlin Sidewinder advertised therein.

Lofty ambitions indeed but life is tough and I still haven't managed to get one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My first want was a Tele thanks to the Quo and I now have the one after years of flirting with Les Pauls. It’s a 2009 CS limited edition. I don’t even like the colour that much (black) but it plays so easily (for a Tele) and sounds raw. It also has a fuller, comfier neck than my R0.

I prefer to look at a Les Paul and I prefer the Gibson scale length but to play give me a Tele all day long. Leo got it right first time.

The other major want from my late 80s / early 90s youth was an Ibanez. I’ve had an S line in crazy neon yellow (didn’t like the wizard neck) and a JS2450 which was amazing, much nicer neck but way too much guitar for me. Felt like a 21st century supercar when all I want is an old tractor from the 50s. Floyd Rose terms were sent by Satan.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3327
    edited January 2018
    Aged 17-25 (1996 onwards) I was buying and selling vintage guitars and amps. Pre eBay, I’d post wanted adverts in Loot (free paper) and buy loads. Most of the vintage amps went straight over to America via a dealer I’d become acquainted with (sadly a very dodgy guy I later found out) so I rarely sat on stuff. So, whilst I’ve tested every classic amp I can think of, I only ever held on to a 61 AC30, 70s Park 75 , piggyback bandmaster and 62 JTM45 for a decent while. Guitar wise, there’s been a few 60s and 70s Gibson’s and fenders too, but again, sold when skint etc. Thankfully doing that ( and getting into it by accident) didn’t take away the magic of playing and owing great instruments, and I still love the smell of old guitars and amps. Just eBay ruined it all. For me the holy grail was a Gold Top like slashs. I’ve had a few. 
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    edited January 2018
    when I was 17/18 all I wanted is a Fender Jaguar, I saw MIJ one in a guitar shop and told them I wanted it but didn't have the money he said I could put a deposit I had £10 in my wallet and he laughed but said alright I'll take £10 a deposit if you bring in the rest of the money in a week. 

At the time it was about £450 this was in the late 90s was only working part time. So with a few extra shifts and making some spare cash as much as possible and a call to the bank of Grandad I strolled up with the rest of the money. 

I miss this determined drive I used to have at that age when I wanted something that was it and I would do anything to get it. 

The guitar itself I never really got on with but I really didn't know what I was doing at that point and hadn't been playing for very long.

Now I don't even think of Jaguars at all. I wish I had a photo of it though but don't think I do. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

Yes, although in the wrong colour.

I had a Les Paul Custom in black. James Dean Bradfield's one was white. I'm left handed so can't be choosey.

Wish I still had it!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• SporkySporky Frets: 28240
    I've gone through a few, really. A Yamaha SA satisfied my 335-a-like urges, I had a Rickenbacker, and I've still got an Ibanez Talman which I wanted from the first moment I saw them in an Ibanez catalogue. Took me about ten years to actually buy one, and it's still my favourite guitar. Every time I play it it's better than I remember.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • When I returned to the guitar in my early twenties (after 10 years off) - my guitar teacher suggested I purchase The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer for reference.  The 3 guitars on the front instantly became my dream guitars.... 

I bought a brand new USA strat in 1997 (3 tone sunburst) which I will never sell and, I finally bought myself a brand new Musicman Axis (Neptune blue) in late 2016 - both guitars were everything I dreamed them to be

The Axis completed the magic 3 (sort of), as I'd  bought a used Epiphone Plus Top Pro/FX in desert burst a few years prior, but no matter what I did (50's wiring/new pickups/new pots) I couldn't mod out the mud in the LP and it has been sold (this week in fact). Maybe it would have been different if i'd been able to afford a USA Gibson? 

• There were so many. When I was growing up I went through phases. At one point my dream guitar was a custom X-shaped beast with urban camo finish that extended over the pickup covers, sharkfin inlays, and a pointy headstock. I am still thankful I never owned one of those.

Other beasts I lusted after were a desert yellow RG550 and a black Explorer (or a Flying V, depending on when you asked me). I got a neon yellow Charvel San Dimas last year which pretty much scratches the Ibanez itch (although maybe a So Cal would've been even closer), but I'd still like to own a weird-shaped Gibson at some point. I borrowed a Flying V for a couple of gigs last year and it was a lot of fun. No one has showed me any photos from those gigs though, so I still don't know if I looked ridiculous.

My other big object of lust was a Les Paul Classic, which I finally got with some money my grandad left me. If I could only keep one guitar, it'd be that. 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.