Gibson SG identification required...

What's Hot

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    Just been back for a return visit - it's still there, still listed as an SG Junior and still @ £499.

I had it down off the wall and had a chat with the staff.

The guitar is or was (as discussed) an SG1 or SG100. Definitely refinished, Gotohs, non-original bridge, pickup and tailpiece. There is definitely a large chunk of something under the bridge - uneven filler, for a start. The finish has badly crazed all over. No evidence of a headstock break.

The tailpiece studs are also leaning forward somewhat (pic to follow).

I put it to the staff that a price of between £300-£350 tops might be more appropriate, but that met with flat refusal - it had to be "well over 4".

Something tells me it might be there for some time (and they didn't seem bothered - the manager said it was "worth more as a talking point on the wall".

So there you have it.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14568
    The bridge and tailpiece inserts should be drilled off the vertical to accommodate the neck pitch. If the posts are pulling under string tension, that is a different matter. 

Cutting to the chase. The guitar is a dog. The shop proprietor is a gorilla. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    Just been back for a return visit - it's still there, still listed as an SG Junior and still @ £499.

The guitar is or was (as discussed) an SG1 or SG100. Definitely refinished, Gotohs, non-original bridge, pickup and tailpiece. There is definitely a large chunk of something under the bridge - uneven filler, for a start. The finish has badly crazed all over. No evidence of a headstock break.

I put it to the staff that a price of between £300-£350 tops might be more appropriate, but that met with flat refusal - it had to be "well over 4".

Something tells me it might be there for some time (and they didn't seem bothered - the manager said it was "worth more as a talking point on the wall".

So there you have it.

The input jack, bridge / tailpeice and pickup are all wrong for an SG1, and the control plate position and shape are wrong for an SG100.

Anyway, I think I'll go in on Monday myself and put it to the staff that a price of between £200-£250 tops might be more appropriate LOL :)

Give it a few weeks, we'll have it down to a tenner :))))
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    Gadget said:
    I think I'll go in on Monday myself and put it to the staff that a price of between £200-£250 tops might be more appropriate LOL :)
    Book a dental appointment, too.  ;)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ...the manager said it was "worth more as a talking point on the wall"...

And that makes me laugh. Surely they can't afford to have "£500" guitars hanging around as 'talking points'? I doubt his boss would be pleased he seems to think it's some kind of Shropshire Hard Rock Cafe! :)
    Back in the days before Gibson changed their minimum stock demands, a shop in my town would have one Les Paul Standard or an SG displayed behind the counter. The proprietor knew full well that few punters could afford these guitars but they fuelled fantasies and helped to shift dozens of Epiphones.
    Not sure it'll have quite the same effect in Cash Converters though...
    the shop ... is a cut-throat low-rent version of Crack Converters 
    I spy a clue. Try offering the shop leisure chemicals. 

In all seriousness, whatever figure the shop paid to acquire the abused Gibson is the lowest figure for which they can afford to let it go. If we accept HarrySeven's estimated valuation of £300-350 to be a realistic market value, it is a safe guess that this is the high end of how much the shop paid the guitar's previous owner.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

That? On a guitar with a flat top? 

Gadget said:

So there you have it.

The input jack, bridge / tailpeice and pickup are all wrong for an SG1, and the control plate position and shape are wrong for an SG100.

Anyway, I think I'll go in on Monday myself and put it to the staff that a price of between £200-£250 tops might be more appropriate LOL :)

Give it a few weeks, we'll have it down to a tenner :))))
    @Gadget - Re. Socket, bridge, etc...the guitar is so far from original spec, it hardly matters! :)

Nevertheless, I strongly suspect it *was* an SG1 at some point,  40-odd years ago...

However, as a 'player's' guitar, it actually feels quite nice (shifting bridge posts aside of course - as you can see from the pic).  

Having seen it again (and parking any thoughts of originality aside), I think £350-ish is OK.

NB. It was the boss I was talking to.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    The bridge and tailpiece inserts should be drilled off the vertical to accommodate the neck pitch.
    There is no neck pitch on these ones :).

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/111713775474-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

Even if there was, the tailpiece studs should still be perpendicular to the body, only the bridge ones should match the neck angle.

Cutting to the chase. The guitar is a dog. The shop proprietor is a gorilla. 
    Correct :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    There is no neck pitch on these ones :)
    In that case, it's farked.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    There is no neck pitch on these ones :)
    In that case, it's farked.
    They do look and feel odd if you're used to normal Gibsons - but less so if you're used to Fenders, Rickenbackers or Gretsches.

It was another of the infamous cost-cutting measures, like routing the control cavities from the front and not putting much body contouring on them. Why they had to do it - especially the control plates - so badly and cheaply-looking, I don't know.

The current Les Paul Custom Special - which is similar in that respect - at least has a bit of thought and style put into the pickguard...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thread resurrection! 

One for @Gadget...the SG discussed above is still there (surprise surprise!), but they’ve now added a dogs dinner £1299 ‘77-78’ Telecaster to their stock.

Oh, dear...apparently, it’s been to their “Pro” and has a new nut fitted. I’ve never seen such a badly cut/fitted nut in my life (even worse than my blue Yamaha SG!). I’ll try and get pics soon. :)

Thread resurrection! 

One for @Gadget...the SG discussed above is still there (surprise surprise!), but they’ve now added a dogs dinner £1299 ‘77-78’ Telecaster to their stock.

Oh, dear...apparently, it’s been to their “Pro” and has a new nut fitted. I’ve never seen such a badly cut/fitted nut in my life (even worse than my blue Yamaha SG!). I’ll try and get pics soon. :)
    Haha fantastic. I look forward to seeing the pix. Sounds like their 'pro' is the same person who services their angle grinders, fishing tackle and collection of 1990s mountain bikes! :)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    lol

"Pro" what? Not guitar tech, that's for sure.

Why has the pickguard been cut down? - it's the wrong shape at the top corner near the bridge. And thus more importantly, what's been done to the body...

Everyone with a hacked old guitar now thinks they're sitting on a "vintage" instrument, don't they?

This particular store know nothing about music gear at all.

They simply consult the highest “Sold” price on eBay and add a chunk on top, or ask their “Pro” for advice/some work on the guitar(s), then add a chunk.

As you can see from both the SG and the Tele, they’re well bodged and advertised with wildly incorrect information.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Professional weightlifter??