Gibson SG identification required...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14561
    edited August 2018
    I’ve never seen such a badly cut/fitted nut in my life
    The nut job was done by a nut job. Well, either that or Fred Flintstone.

ICBM said:
    Why has the pickguard been cut down? - it's the wrong shape at the top corner near the bridge. 
    The pickguard is the correct shape ... for a G&L ASAT Classic. (Note how, adjacent to the cutaway, the edge of the plastic does not follow the body outline.)

My guess is that whoever did the respray also filled in the pickguard screw hole that would otherwise have been left exposed by the rounded corner of the G&L 'guard.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72565
    Funkfingers said:

The pickguard is the correct shape ... for a G&L ASAT Classic. (Note how, adjacent to the cutaway, the edge of the plastic does not follow the body outline.)

My guess is that whoever did the respray also filled in the pickguard screw hole that would otherwise have been left exposed by the rounded corner of the G&L 'guard.
    Well spotted. I don't think I've ever seen an ASAT with a black guard, but I'm sure you're right. He does say that the guard has a matching serial number sticker - Fender did that in the late 70s, as I'm sure you know - but it could have been peeled off and re-stuck on the new guard. Bizarrely, Fender occasionally left more than one sticker with all bar the first one still attached to the backing paper under the guard, which would make it extremely easy...

If the guard isn't original I'm even more suspicious that there's routing under it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    As the store know nothing re. guitars, etc, they put complete faith in their “Pro”. They’re also pretty much absolutely intractable re. prices - tiny increments only.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

ICBM said:
    Well spotted. I don't think I've ever seen an ASAT with a black guard, but I'm sure you're right. 
    Could be from the Tribute Series.

ICBM said:
    He does say that the guard has a matching serial number sticker - Fender did that in the late 70s, as I'm sure you know - but it could have been peeled off and re-stuck on the new guard. 
    Agreed. My ol' fretless P Bass has the sticker. My brother's first bass had it. 

@HarrySeven Do you have any more photographs of the Telecaster but from an angle with a view of where the neck heel meets the pickguard? 

The G&L ASAT neck is usually 22 frets but, instead of a fingerboard *overhang*, the entire neck ends together, beyond the top fret. Thus, the neck pocket and pickguard are cut to accommodate this extra bit of neck wood. It is possible that the ASAT pickguard does not meet the end of the Telecaster neck.
    Sorry, no. Hard to photograph when it’s cable-tied to the wall behind the counter!

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

OK...given that the Tele is as suspect as the SG in terms of a chequered past, what d'you reckon a realistic value is? (not that this place would ever accept such a thing!)

Do you mean realistic as a guitar, or realistic as a bastardised example of an overpriced, probably overweight so-called “vintage” Fender with an ugly body shape, shrill pickups and nasty neck coating?

:)

And with or without potential routing/hacking under the guard?

Either way I wouldn’t pay more than about half what they’re asking, even if you like it and feel sorry for it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited August 2018
    ICBM said:

Do you mean realistic as a guitar, or realistic as a bastardised example of an overpriced, probably overweight so-called “vintage” Fender with an ugly body shape, shrill pickups and nasty neck coating?

And with or without potential routing/hacking under the guard?

Either way I wouldn’t pay more than about half what they’re asking, even if you like it and feel sorry for it...

Lol! Any or all of the above!

I would have thought about £600 - £750, but there is no way on God's earth that they'd ever countenance such an offer.

Their business model is to buy extremely low, then wring out as much profit as is humanly possible. The attendant problem (from a buyer's perspective) is that they're terrified of underselling, even when they have no idea what it is they're flogging (or have been misinformed by their "Pro") - plus, because it's "old", it must be valuable! neutral 

Exactly that. In cases like this you have to accept that sadly, some things just can’t be saved. At least it’s not like it’s a rare guitar...

Walk on by, Lord Seven. 

Other pre-owned Telecasters in the £600 - 750 bracket are available. ;)
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 897

Hmmm, think I'll pass :))

As per value, I'd say it's much like the SG, in that I'd want it real cheap to ne sure I could turn it in an honestly described condition should all the fears prove valid, so with that in mind, £350-£400?

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    edited August 2018
    Walk on by, Lord Seven. 
    Don’t worry - I wasn’t thinking of owning it anyway...well, not at anywhere near the price they're asking!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Other pre-owned Telecasters in the £600 - 750 bracket are available. ;)

Oh, and I suppose you might just happen to know someone with such a thing, Mr. FF? ;)

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    ICBM said:
    The bridge and tailpiece inserts should be drilled off the vertical to accommodate the neck pitch.
    There is no neck pitch on these ones :).

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/111713775474-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

Even if there was, the tailpiece studs should still be perpendicular to the body, only the bridge ones should match the neck angle.

Cutting to the chase. The guitar is a dog. The shop proprietor is a gorilla. 
    Correct :).
    I had one similar to this once upon a time, but it only had a neck pickup - and that was a single coil unit.

It was hopeless for most stuff, but sounded awesome into a loud AC30 with a Fuzzface for huge crashing chords.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Gadget said:

Hmmm, think I'll pass :)

As per value, I'd say it's much like the SG, in that I'd want it real cheap to be sure I could turn it in an honestly described condition should all the fears prove valid, so with that in mind, £350-£400?

I would be beyond impressed if you could prise it from their claws at that price! :lol: