Stoner Rock

What's Hot

Comments

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508

Doesn't really do it for me. Bit too proggy and jarring for me. 
    andyp said:
    Have to say, I was excited to listen to that song... but I didn’t like it either. :(
    Oh man...you guys would probably hate the new album then haha. Legit one of my favourite bands at the moment though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Not feeling the new Sleep album at all. It's like they took all the things I dislike about the genre (such as the vocals, the long drawn out repetitive chords with no big riffs to bring it all together, the over-long ploddy songs) and distilled it into one album. As @Dopesick says just a bit tedious. Apart from the massive guitar tone I can't find anything that's grabbing me. Holy Mountain came on after it finished and there's the Sleep I love!

I guess I just prefer the more lively up tempo groovy riff-based bluesy and 70s inspired stuff.

Liking the sound of that Boss Keloid track, that's more my speed. Will have to check that album out!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Keep coming back to this Baron Crane album when I get bored of vocals. The groove and riff on the opening track MD Stoner is just awesome. Nice guitar tone too :)

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    ASG's new offering, quiet like this too. Had never heard anything of Boss Keloid but I really liked that song above!!

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited April 2018
    Anybody check out the new Sword album (Used Future)? 

As much as I love The Sword, their heavier stuff is way better. This album and High Country (its predecessor) are just missing that "edge" (pun intended)
    Listened to this today, some tracks are a bit (for want of a better word) "odd" but some are fantastic. Really liked it overall, I'll definitely be checking out more of their stuff, had never heard of them before I saw this post.

Really liking the sound of that Kalamata album too.

• The more I listen to The Sciences the better it gets. It’s a monster of an album.

Not sure if it’s classed as stoner rock but the new Pallbearer single is pretty darn good. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22857
    edited April 2018
    Not sure if it’s classed as stoner rock but the new Pallbearer single is pretty darn good. 
    I guess they're more doom... but they're very melodic and the whole stoner, doom, desert, psychedelic thing is all very blurry.  It's either good or it isn't.

I didn't know they had a new single, thanks for mentioning it.

@TTBZ I'd never heard of Baron Crane, but I like that a lot.

New Khemmis album out soon too....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3495

Discovered Green Druid's new album Ashen Blood this on Itunes' metal new releases page; supremely heavy, slow and psychedelic stoner/doom, highly recommended:

I like that.  Reminds me a bit of Windhand. 
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3027
    edited August 2018
    Here’s a good one. Rift by Forming the Void. 
    Suberb riffage

https://youtu.be/sLSP5ae5DwA
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I'm not sure it qualifies as Stoner Rock, but I'm loving Blind River today. Never heard of them before - well worth checking out!
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    edited August 2018
    Bong. Any Bong listeners here? Any Mike Vest fans, in fact?

I'm really not convinced by the recent Graveyard album. I've given it a good shake, but its just not happening. I think its the production making the songs a bit washed out and bland. Hopefully they'll (the new songs) will rock like fuck in Dec when they come into town, as the Lights Out tour was fantastic.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    andyp said:
    I'm not sure it qualifies as Stoner Rock, but I'm loving Blind River today. Never heard of them before - well worth checking out!
    I'd say just classic heavy metal but Harry used to be in Hangnail who were killer stoner rock. 

Harry was in Decomposed with me back at the start of the 90s. Dan was in Pig Iron with our singer.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    Kitsune said:

Do you like 11 Paranoias?
    My mates bands just finished supporting Bong in Newcastle and Manchester.

On another note - Earthless, Witch, DVNE, All Them Witches and a couple of others whose names escape me right now all confirmed for Desertfest 2019.
    Reverend said:
    Kitsune said:

Do you like 11 Paranoias?
    I've got the first album - the one with Mark Greening on drums - but didn't keep up with the rest.

I liked it, yeah. Kinda met that Ramesses plus Vest that I was hoping it'd achieve really.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Dopesick said:

Probably the best track off their last album.
    This is my type of stoner rock- I find a lot of it too derivative but this is excellent.
    @octatonic You'll dig the new album then (and all their other stuff most probably).

They're about as far away from stoner rock as you can get now tbh. They still have heavy guitars but there's a lot of progressive keyboards, guitar noodling and quiet-loud dynamics.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Sweet, will check it out.