Guitarist-isms that make you cringe

What's Hot

Comments

• xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    I've a few.

Calling a vibrato a tremolo, when it's clearly a vibrato.

'plays like butter'.

Unforgiving amp/pedal/guitar. Guitars should be set up to be comfortable for you. Amps and pedals cannot be unforgiving.

'bloom'.

'syrupy'. Nope, it's a thick tone. It doesn't give you diabetes if you overindulge in it, thankfully.

Any I've missed?
    One amp can feel less or more forgiving than another based on the compression characteristics of the circuit and softness of attack. When people describe amps as unforgiving, they usually mean that they have an immediacy and hard attack that is less flattering to the player but often punchier in a band context.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I have no problem with that stuff. We all know what they mean, it's just a description. It would be boring if we had an ultra descriptive technical term for everything:

This guitar rates 6.7 overall on the Kestle scale, but it scores 7.2 on the Frankenheimer (+/- 0.2). The finish can be looked at on page 324 of the big colour book, the shape is a derivative of the mark 34 second generation and it plays a bit like ........ apologies, I nearly got all colloquial there ..... the playability rating is 9.4. All this is subject to the correct continent multiplier which can be found in the online yellow book.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    'Chappers'
    Never ever bloody anything, ever!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Active pickups sounding "sterile". It's an electrical circuit, passive or not, so it's all sterile.
    "Warm" tubes.
    Maple fingerboards being brighter than rosewood fingerboards.
    The terms bright and warm in general applied to sounds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 400
    edited December 2013
    ICBM said:
    "She"
    Popped in to post the same thing; talking like a mystical sea captain. About an electric banjo.

See also: attributing a woman's name to a guitar:

"I call her Moira, because when you plug her in SHE TELLS YOU THE NEWS OF THE DAY" etc.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Personally, I always use the term 'Trem' (or even 'tremolo') to describe the vibrato unit on a guitar. It is a word that has been wrongly applied to vibrato systems for decades. I know it's wrong, but so what? It avoids confusion.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus;117423" said:
    I have no problem with that stuff. We all know what they mean, it's just a description. It would be boring if we had an ultra descriptive technical term for everything:

This guitar rates 6.7 overall on the Kestle scale, but it scores 7.2 on the Frankenheimer (+/- 0.2). The finish can be looked at on page 324 of the big colour book, the shape is a derivative of the mark 34 second generation and it plays a bit like ........ apologies, I nearly got all colloquial there ..... the playability rating is 9.4. All this is subject to the correct continent multiplier which can be found in the online yellow book.
    Hahaha if you put it like that, you have a good point!

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10455
    tFB Trader
    axisus;117423" said:

Hahaha if you put it like that, you have a good point!

Jeez .... we used to have a model railway club opposite where we lived ... at 'turn out' time the conversation that wafted across the road was all like that!

Only one term I object to really ... and that's not guitar related:
    'Goes like a greased weasel' ...
    Lets not go there :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• "Players Guitar"

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Crumbs ! What a bunch of reactionary old farts ! :P

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10455
    edited December 2013 tFB Trader
    Careful or I might slay you with my buttery axe!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    martinw said:
    Sheesh, this place is getting worse than TGP, just 180 degrees the other way.
    There can't possibly be anything wrong in being 180º away from TGP ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Whilst similes and metaphors used in an attempt to describe sounds are sometimes meaningless and/or overused, they are broadly fine. My hairs prickle though at any attempt to macho-ise the guitar, eg "axe, weapon.". Photographers do the same when they talk about shooters and shooting.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    martinw said:
    Sheesh, this place is getting worse than TGP, just 180 degrees the other way.
    There can't possibly be anything wrong in being 180º away from TGP ;).
    There's none so pure as the converted ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Jalapeno said:
    Crumbs ! What a bunch of reactionary old farts ! :P

Speak for yourself.

I'm a reactionary young (under 40) fart :-S

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• You lot who don't name your guitars have no romance in you.

All mine have names - well, the ones that stick around do. No point getting a name if they're only around for a couple of nights...
    <space for hire>
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    I'm amazed this one hasn't cropped-up yet.

"Tone is in the fingers".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Things that 'sound digital' - so sounds like 1s and 0s, then. Much like a CD player...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    martinw said:
    There's none so pure as the converted ;)
    True! But actually it took me a long time before I realised how insane that place was... after I got out it was remarkable how obvious it should have been.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    You lot who don't name your guitars have no romance in you.

All mine have names - well, the ones that stick around do. No point getting a name if they're only around for a couple of nights...

Mine are named after ladies who've helped me through life. Charlene, Sarah, Laura and Sammie.

Apart from the ESP, which got named "The Beast" after a guitar playing colleague said "That's a beast of a guitar"

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)