Guitarist-isms that make you cringe

What's Hot

Comments

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    edited December 2013
    The term 'woman tone' is something i'm not keen on - anyone know what it's supposed to mean?

I second the opinion of 'plays like butter'. Butter is thick and greasy and makes me want to wash my hands when it gets on my fingers, how is that good for a guitar?
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 400
    edited December 2013
    timhulio said: I'm amazed this one hasn't cropped-up yet.
    "Tone is in the fingers". Ah, y'see, I think they have a point. I sound like me (and cack) on most guitars, whereas I've got friends who can play my guitars and can sound both like themselves
    and make the guitar sound like a fabulous exemplar (ie. teles sound tele like, P90s growl and bark) at the same time.
    The term 'woman tone' is something i'm not keen on - anyone know what it's supposed to mean? 
    Skip to 1:55 (I hate myself for being able to pinpoint this video so accurately):

(Nice to hear him confuse the word "treble" for "bass" like a pro, too)
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Any macho terms for guitars like "8-string monsters", wtf?
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    "secret soapbar"

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17616
    tFB Trader
    bertie said:
    "secret soapbar"

See also 

"Is the soap up your end?"

and 

"Where's the soap?"
    "It does a bit doesn't it"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    'Sag'.... I hate that term for what amounts to a bit of saturated compression! (I also hate saggy ball bags too....)
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    'Ice Picky' where does this term originate from?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • equalsql;117657" said:
    'Fast Neck'  they all look fixed to me...

'Ice Picky' where does this term originate from?
    Fast neck I like, and ice picky.

Ice picky means, if played loud, it'll feel like someone is slamming a sharp ice pick into your ear. And it is a very real thing! I've had a tear brought to my eye by a Telecaster going through a Marshall... Not in a good way.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Tone snobs.

Went to Denmark street looking for the Zoom MS-70CDR, and there was a salesman who said "Zoom?! You don't want Zoom! I couldn't look you in the eye and sell you a Zoom, which is why we only stock XYZ.. That stuff's for beginners! You say that you're gigging, you want something proper"

Everyone loves boutique stuff! It's so shiny and so much thought and engineering has been put into them (well, most of them), but maintaining that your boutique analog, true bypass tone is 100% better than mine because I have a Zoom is incredibly annoying. Worst thing is, there is no way to argue with these guys because all the psychoacoustics are already hardwired into their brains.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    I've got no real complaints about most of the above, as they all convey an idea which most guitarists would understand, even if the term does make them cringe. "Fast neck" means very little to me, except for suggesting that it's probably a thin one which would put me off anyway. However, "plays like buttah" has to be the worst for me, and is guaranteed to put me off reading any further, though it probably says more about the writer than the guitar it describes. I also hate bad Youtube demos, many of which manage to make excellent pieces of kit sound like crap.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Plays like buttah is definitely the worst, puts the silent 'W' in Anchor..

Woman tone and brown sound also do my bonce in, and I try not to remember the name of my kids never mind my guitars..

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinw said:

Why is important to criticise word choice to describe something that's hard to describe?

I totally agree.  Criticising metaphors because they are not literally true seems particularly daft: they won't be by definition.  

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I don't know that stuff bothers me that much, but here's a few ism's that came to mind:
    A lot of guitar for the money. The dusty frets. Sustains for days. Tone machine. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe said:
    'Sag'.... I hate that term for what amounts to a bit of saturated compression!
    ...better with paneer

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    ICBM said:
    Axe
    Definitely. Anyone who uses this is usually a big bender in my book.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    String bender, you mean..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• I don't mind metaphors, I just don't like rubbish 'common knowledge-isms' that aren't correct.  Thankfully this board is pretty good when it comes to those.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited December 2013
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    :))

Absolutely brilliant @randomhandclaps
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    Anyone who describes a guitar as a players guitar.  WTF is a guitar for anyway if not for playing?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum