Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The "not one of them" thread

What's Hot

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Old photo from the previous owner stompboy. You never know love until it hits you in the face. All my heroes play strats but this is my guitar of choice. Now fitted with a Suhr SSV in the neck with a push-pull tone knob to split it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My most prized possession ... sorry about using your pic of it Tony ... but I will do some more when I start the renovation in earnest.

I love it.  It just looks like a great design, the only thing that gives away the decade is the stars!

How long till we get a 'proper' dimarzio super distortion from you? ;)

Good luck with the restoration.  And make a thread on it :)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10684
    tFB Trader
    My homage to the 'Super D' is brewing ... it will be one of my V series ... just honing the magnet/polepiece placement. Now I can put a really old one on the scope I can see a bit more easily what's going on. I have to take the Super distortion out of the Kawai to stabilise/restore it shortly ... as both bobbins aren't exactly properly attached to the base plate! When ... in the dim reaches of the past, somebody added the four conductor wiring ... they used two two-conductor cables and forced the whole pickup apart!
    I'm delighted that a lovely, rare old guitar like this has a lovely, rare old pickup. Early Super Distortions deserve similar respect ... at least in my eyes ... to fifties PAFs. They were ground breaking and unique ... and in their turn influenced a whole generation of guitar players.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Anderson Hollow Body Drop Top

Blonde 335

Roger Sadowsky Jim Hall Special
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited December 2013
    I do have a couple of strats and teles, but the majority of my guitars are more off-piste.
    Rickenbacker 610
    Jazzmaster 'The Green Bastard' with DeArmond Gold Tone and Iron Gear Alchemy90 pickups.
    A selection of offsets
    A selection of semi-acoustics
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13570
    TTony;117990" said:
     What's the neck wood?

Ziricote,  and the board,  the original came with p/up rings too, but I preferred the maple to go with the binding
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    edited December 2013
    @dogload That green jazzmaster is stunning! More info please! How does that pickup combination sound?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27690
    Another from me ...

If I had to pick a #1 guitar, that'd be it.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @paulk  cheers!

It was off ebay- someone had tarted up a Squire Jagmaster or something. The strat trem rout had been filled (with wood, fortunately) and a Fender JM trem and bridge added. It came with Jap Jazzmaster pickups installed and all the right wiring and a nice mint scratchplate and all painted in what I was informed was 'Squeeze Green' like a Ford Fiesta.
    Sadly I got a bit burned as it was unplayable.
    I had to shim the neck and adjust the relief (which necessitated digging out bodge to get to the truss rod (good idea filling that hole!). Then I decided that I wanted something different. There was plenty of room under the scratchplate - for some reason most of the wood under there had been removed. So I ordered up some mint scratchplate stuff and made a new one to accomodate the Dearmond pickup at the bridge, and a humbucker at the front, for which I got the Iron Gear P90 ( i have one of these on my Hofner semi and they sound really nice).
    I had to make the trem arm as the unit is Japanese (NOT a US one as I had been told by the seller!) and i couldn't find a replacement online, so I used a flute cleaning rod, bent into shape. I have cut it to size since the photo was taken and added a tip. I've also added a Buzz Stop to add a bit of non- authentic tension for stringing with 10s.
    Having done all that, I am very happy with the result. It sounds great- very individual and the Buzz Stop adds sustain and stops the strings popping out of the saddles- which the seller had cut grooves into, but in the wrong place! The neck is pretty slim and the action is low, and although the frets are a little on the small side, I'm not complaining too much. I suspect however that soon I shall have to get some better machine heads. 
    Trigger's Broom!
  • @Jalpeno. That Sadowsky is magnificent.  =D>
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    @Jalpeno. That Sadowsky is magnificent.  =D>
    Thanks.  It is rather ... !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27690
    @Jalpeno. That Sadowsky is magnificent.  =D>
    Got to agree!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    I have fancied one of theses for a while and they are coming up on the the rails real fast...

Duesnberg Starplayer

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Good to hear there's a lot of folks interested in these various unusual guitars. That leaves all the more Strats, Teles and Les Pauls out there for me!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    Duesenbergs are nice, but I can't help thinking they are a little over-priced. That pair looks great though.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Jalapeno said:
    Anderson Hollow Body Drop Top

Blonde 335

Roger Sadowsky Jim Hall Special
    Those are 3 highly desirable beauties! Please do tell me more - an Anderson Hollow Drop Top has been on my mental wish list for some time - what's it like to play and what are the sounds like? Similar questions re the Sadowsky Jim Hall. :)
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13570
    Ive played that anderson,  its very light  IIRC
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 353
    Me Firebird, if it is allowed (or at least something that looks like one):

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh143/werdnayarg/webstuf/Firedoor/DSC_2827a_zpsfa5d3b45.jpg