What's Hot

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Still got to properly scrape and sand but initial results are promising:

:)
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Super job.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Great job ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Thanks, folks  :)  

I'm pleased with it so far and think I can meet the owner's expectations - now the scary bit is done!
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10320
    Brilliant,great skills.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    Greta job mate , loving this thread.
    With the binding done and scraped, and the body re-sanded, I've been laying down the initial stain coats - at this stage to get the general colour tones rather than the finished effect.  This is broadly what I'm aiming for - Chris P the owner sent me this photo of a 58/59 original in terms of the broad colour palette:

This is the base colour I've got to with a combination of wood stains and fountain pen inks that I will then use to fine-tune:

Pattern-wise and overall look, it looks a bit s****y at the moment, but that will smooth out significantly as the rest of the finishing process continues.  However, I think I'm OK with the general colour tones.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Definitely looks the right general colour compared with that photo.
    Long way to go, but I think I'm on the right lines at least...

I don't know about you folks, but I can never envisage what things are going to look like without the hardware!

Albeit, this will eventually have cream pickup rings, this is probably more representative.  What do you think?   The finish will get deeper and grain will shine more, but this is probably close to how it will look in overall terms:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3924

Way to go Andy. If mine turns out anywhere near as good as this I'll be a very happy man.
    Deadman said:

Way to go Andy. If mine turns out anywhere near as good as this I'll be a very happy man.

Nice of you to say, @Deadman, but I'm not sure myself. I think the grain needs to show though more and I think there needs to be a hint of red in the burst. It'll head closer to the second picture at the beginning of the thread, but I think that might suit it better.
    I see what you mean Andy, but I do love the colour and it's more of a flat top traditional look. I've no doubt you'll nail it whatever.
    I've stripped it all down and done it again.  I realised that one of the wood 'dyes' I was using wasn't at all what it said on the tin.  When I started sanding it, it was clear that it was a 'paint' type of stain, not a dye at all.  A bit naughty as their other products are definitely dyes.  As such, where-ever I'd applied it, it simply hid the grain.

I've re-dyed it and this is a lot closer to what I was trying to achieve:

The clearcoat will darken and soften it.  I may do a bit more tweaking, but it's starting to get into the right ballpark...  :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Niiiice colour and very rich looking  :)
    Deadman said:
    Niiiice colour and very rich looking  :)

Thanks @Deadman :) I've deepened the burst a touch and just put on the first sealing coat. I'm happy with this now.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    Great stuff Andy. I bet the owner will be thrilled, it's already a mile away from how it looked when you first got it!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72549

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:

I didn't realise my reflection was caught in the photo! :))
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That was an interesting article bout that Bolan Lester ;)
    Fantastic job OP - looking forward to the end product!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life