Finished! Gibson 2013 LPJ Refinish

What's Hot

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    I've added the first sealer coats and am now getting much happier with the results.  

In real life the maple grain catches the light quite dramatically for a 'plain' figure and brings out the yellow tints rather than the red and orange ones.  I'm now starting to thing a bit of a gloss coat might enhance - originally I was going to go satin.  I'll ponder on that one.

I'm picking up the cream bits and pieces on Wednesday...
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Someone's pointed out how crap the above two photos are (or is it REALLY that colour!) :))  

Don't know about the rest of you, but my camera struggles like hell with reds and oranges.  I've tweaked the colour balance to try to get it to how it actually looks in real life.  This is closer...and even then, the reddish patch in the middle of the lower bout isn't red in real life...it's brown!:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3924
    I don't think I'll ever buy another camera. I just use my phone now for everything. I also upload pics straight to photobucket. I know a lot of people don't rate it but I personally find it easy to use and convenient. Anyway. Back to your project :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    That's looking superb, excellent work that man!
    Thanks folks. Having real problems photographing it, partly because of the Reds/oranges problem and also the the grain effect is quite marked. The colour changes markedly with the angle going from all yellow-amber to all amber-orange to plain to blotchy to burst. In the flesh, it's starting to look very good. In the photos it looks a bit 'meh' :)). The neck is very light in colour - doesn't feel like maple but is light like maple so need to decide how best to tint it. The back and sides have been well sanded to get rid of all white grain marks, grain filled with dark stain and clear filler and then left natural with just the darkening effect of the sealer.
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    Looking good mate. Nice job on the binding.

Would you think about darkening the outer areas of the top to get more of a burst effect?

skippy76 said:
    Looking good mate. Nice job on the binding.

Would you think about darkening the outer areas of the top to get more of a burst effect?

Hi, @skippy76

Thanks!  :)

The owner already has a tobacco burst Gibson and specifically didn't want a heavy burst.  I'm happy with this now - it is nigh impossible to get a photo to reflect what it actually looks like - the maple grain catches the light and changes from almost yellow to amber, with a red-tinged shadow of burst.  Can't capture any of that on camera :))

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    Come on Andy give us some more pictures, threads like these are the best way to get through a slow day at work!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    edited July 2016
    BigMonka said:
    Come on Andy give us some more pictures, threads like these are the best way to get through a slow day at work!

:))

Well, not much to show at the moment - I'm just going through the sealing and sanding stages.  Only extra pics are more shots that look nothing like the real thing! ;)

If you want more of those:

This shows the 'well used but well cared for' look I'm trying to achieve in the satin finish, although some of the colouration - particularly the darker patches in real life are much more fluid and change markedly as you change the angle of the guitar.  

With cream trimmings, I actually think it's going to be exactly the kind of thing the owner was after.  At least, that's what I'll be telling him   :))
    I've started the final prep of the back and sides...just the neck to sort now:

Looking amazing  :O)
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Sweet

Thanks, folks :) The main thing is that the owner likes it too. Met him the other evening and he says it was just what he was hoping for :)>- He has asked me if I can stain the sides back and neck a darker shade which I've now done. As soon as I've got the finishing layers on, I'll post some more shots...hopefully soon with some of the cream and amber bits on.
    edited July 2016
    For the staining of the back, sides and neck, I've used a Chestnut Products 'Red Mahogany' stain - sealed with Birchwood Casey sealer/filler, then lightly slurry and buffed using tru-oil.  Another coat will get it silky satin, but this is the depth of colour I'm going for:

...and this is how it contrasts:

Just got to give it a final slurry and buff, then re-scrape the binding and then it's ready for reassembly!
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wow, you wouldn't believe it was the same guitar as the white one!
    Tell him that he should get some covered pickups though, I think they'll look much nicer than the zebra ones.
    BigMonka said:
    Wow, you wouldn't believe it was the same guitar as the white one!
    Tell him that he should get some covered pickups though, I think they'll look much nicer than the zebra ones.
    I know what you mean, but the owner knows what he wants  ;)  I think he's happy with them.  I noticed that one of them is a Slash variant and the other isn't...
    Phwoar. Loving the contrast between the front and back. Top drawer.
    Really liking the finish on the back of the neck DM
    edited July 2016
    It continues to change colour however the light catches it, but the cream accoutrements make it look a bit more like a Les Paul ...

The pickup rings are only temporary...don't fit a Gibson even though that was in the description!  Got some Gibson originals on order and ditto the jack plate.

Here's another shot - note the totally different colour

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah. That top pic in particular looks great and the zebras really suit it.