Hodgson gone!

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited June 2016
    lloyd said:
    Fretwired said:
    Heard the same thing about the England rugby squad in the last world cup in England. Humiliated by Australia the RFU did the unthinkable. They hired a foreign coach but not just any coach - an Australian who'd made his country world cup winners and had a proven track record at club and international level. The result? Essentially the same squad that were losers won a grand slam and have just whitewashed the Australians on their own soil in three tests for the first time.

With the right manager England had enough quality to finish top of their group and get to the last eight and maybe a semi-final - a different manager may have picked a different set of players. This has been true in previous years. The FA always seem to pick the wrong coach and coaching team. Roy was paid a fortune for failure.

He's an easy way to pick a manager - offer loads of cash and resources but you only apply if you've managed a world cup winning or Euro cup winning national team. Seems to be working for the RFU.
    He's not managed Australia to a WC win, he was assistant coach in SA's WC win though.

A few tweaks and England could be very good like you say-the thing is that everybody in the press and at home knows what an England boss needs to do, but they never do it.....

Sterling-bad decision, everyone knew it.

Wilshire-bad decision, everyone knew it.

Playing Rooney out of position-bad decision, everyone knew it.

Kane on corners-bad decision, everyone knew it.

We all knew these things before hand too, it's not jsut hindsight
    @lloyd .. my mistake ...

Totally agree with your assessment.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    hobbio said:

Of course he had the speech pre-written. It makes sense to prepare for either outcome.

He ran like a coward down the tunnel to make his statement and left his shattered players on the pitch. He should have joined them and commiserated .. there were some young guys on there crying their eyes out. They could have done with a few words from their manager. He should also have told his team first.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Fretwired said:
    hobbio said:

Of course he had the speech pre-written. It makes sense to prepare for either outcome.

He ran like a coward down the tunnel to make his statement and left his shattered players on the pitch. He should have joined them and commiserated .. there were some young guys on there crying their eyes out. They could have done with a few words from their manager. He should also have told his team first.
    I don't agree with everything you say Fret, but you've nailed it here. He's proved himself to be a worthless coward in the way he acted last night. Let's just hope we can find someone who's fit for the job. 5th time lucky, eh?

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Fretwired;1129876" said:
    hobbio said:

Maybe those young guys should have done the job they are paid insane amounts of money to do, day in day out.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    The writing was on the wall way before the tournament started. We were all over the shop in qualifying. Unsettled, disjointed and lacking creativity and flow.

THis was on display in the first game against Russia. We weren;'t that good against Wales and we were poor against Slovakia.

You hear people whiffling on that we played better against Wales, Slovakia, but take a step back here and look at the teams: Wales Slovakia and Russia. All 3 are not good teams, teams that the England of the 90s would have blown away.

Roy Hodgson was appointed as a reaction to Capello, a foreign coach. He was seen as a safe pair of hands, a neat fit with the cosy FA despite the fact that he had come up short in any job of substance. Remember Liverpool, Blackburn. Very poor.

I don;t see why the next manager has to be English at all. The romance of it is nice, but the fact remains - we need a manager who has the ability and desire to be good at international level. Its different to club level.

I can't see either of Howe or Pardew wanting to step out of club footy at the moment. Steve Bruce might though, given that he's already expressed worry about Hull's ambitions. Allardyce is available, and at an age where he might want it. IS he right for that sort of footy though? Maybe,

Gareth Southgate - I hope not. Done very little.

Glen Hoddle - hasn't managed since 2006

Arsene Wenger - for me the best choice. Astute, calm, driven and at an age where he may want to step out of the day to day of club footy.

Then there are people like Ancelotti to consider, he'd be good.

As for the players, kin ell, where do you start? REgardless of manager, the lack of football aptitude they show is staggering. LEts not forget, they do this for a living and should be able to break down a team who have players from Charlton and Cardiff in it FFS.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I think the national team manager should be English.

He should be our figure head and he should care for reasons other than his pay check.

His back room staff on the other hand, why not pick up and coming coaches from around the world, bring fresh ideas in that way.

Alex Ferguson changed his support staff a lot to keep stuff fresh and it worked for him.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    joneve said:
    Fretwired said:
    hobbio said:

I don't agree with everything you say Fret, but you've nailed it here. He's proved himself to be a worthless coward in the way he acted last night. Let's just hope we can find someone who's fit for the job. 5th time lucky, eh?

You have no idea what was discussed between him and the rest of the players behind closed doors. Worthless coward is a bit strong for a football manager who didn't win. A sense of perspective is required, methinks.

I think the next manager should be English because we have tried top level foreign coaches before and, no matter what they've won elsewhere, neither of them did anything decent for us. The only exception I'd say would be Arsene Wenger, he's basically English at this point anyway.

I'm one of Rooney's biggest fans, but even I think his time as an ever-present is over. Assemble a squad, from that squad assemble a team, and let that team play and grow together. The core, at least.

Joe Hart is not good enough to be England's 1st choice keeper. Fraser Forster or Jack Butland are the way forward here for me.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

hobbio said:
    joneve said:
    Fretwired said:
    hobbio said:

You have no idea what was discussed between him and the rest of the players behind closed doors.

You're right. It probably went something like this:

"When we lose I'll run down the tunnel and resign. Nothing personal, but I don't want to be sacked by the FA. Great working with you and good luck."

And I suppose the team picked itself, agreed on tactics and decided that the striker would taker corners (in the early games) and free kicks.

As for who's next. I'd go with Neville and a foreign manager who has won a world cup/Euro finals to mentor him. The FA has to spend more on grass roots player development. They should look at what Germany did when they reached a similar low point in 2000.

Well, no, it probably didn't go like that. The man's human, is he not allowed to emotional too? Also, I'm not defending Hodgson's team selection, tactics and what not because they were pretty poor. Worthless coward is still a bit strong though. Useless cunt, yes, but worthless coward?

The next man for the job is a tricky pick. Even with the best manager in the world, I don't think we have the squad yet to win anything. Maybe in the future, but not yet. I would ask who'd want the job, but £5m per year is very persuasive. I'd do it for 10% of that, and I bet my results wouldn't be any worse.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
    hobbio said:

Worthless coward is still a bit strong though. Useless cunt, yes, but worthless coward?

I need to get my head around your levels of questioning a persons ability and character. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12907

Glenn Hoddle is actually being suggested by the media? :))   :))    :))    :))    :))

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2016
    hobbio said:

Worthless coward is still a bit strong though. Useless cunt, yes, but worthless coward?

I need to get my head around your levels of questioning a persons ability and character. 
    @Teetonetal Ya see, that was for the purposes of humour.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    As a tactical coach Hoddle was superb, most of the players who played under him would agree.

Southgate? No, he still looks like a school prefect and has "give me a wedgie" written in invisible ink on his forehead.

Eddie Howe? Lunacy. Two season in the top flight is no experience.

Big Sam? He might deserve a shot but he can get very shirty with the media.

I'd give it to two people - the chief football correspndents of the Sun and the Mirror. Let's see how well they'd get on.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    scrumhalf said:
    As a tactical coach Hoddle was superb, most of the players who played under him would agree.

I have it on good authority that many of the players hated him as his skill levels on the ball in training put them to shame. The FA should have put him in charge of young player development and skills development. He's the best England player I've ever seen play .. sheer class.

Fretwired said:
    scrumhalf said:

I have it on good authority that many of the players hated him as his skill levels on the ball in training put them to shame. The FA should have put him in charge of young player development and skills development. He's the best England player I've ever seen play .. sheer class.

There are stories of him humiliating senior players in training by telling them that they're not good enough to pull off a certain skill or set-piece. I don't care how good he was as a player (and he was immense), you can't do that and expect the players to be on your side.

Also, faith healers? Fuck that!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920
    scrumhalf said:
    Big Sam? He might deserve a shot but he can get very shirty with the media.

I'd give it to two people - the chief football correspndents of the Sun and the Mirror. Let's see how well they'd get on.
    Love it!  The media need "getting shirty with" sometimes.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    hobbio said:
    Fretwired said:
    scrumhalf said:

There are stories of him humiliating senior players in training by telling them that they're not good enough to pull off a certain skill or set-piece. I don't care how good he was as a player (and he was immense), you can't do that and expect the players to be on your side.

Eddie Jones seems to have done reasonably well after telling some players they weren't good enough.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Here's what will happen
    FA appoint manager
    We win a few friendlies for "a new dawn"
    Qualify for a tournament then as usual fail miserably.
    Reason? We're crap at football but for some reason believe we aren't.
    Rinse and repeat
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

scrumhalf said:
    hobbio said:
    Fretwired said:
    scrumhalf said:

Eddie Jones seems to have done reasonably well after telling some players they weren't good enough.
    You can't tell international footballers that they're not good enough to pull something off in front of the entire squad and expect to keep them on your side. Also, footy isn't rugby.

Also also, faith healers? Fuck that!

• hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    The bus is up for sale.    image
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom