Hodgson gone!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I can't believe in this day and age, we are risking giving the job to someone without first going through an intense and exhaustive reality tv selection process.
    Surely a national competition of Football Manager on the XBox is the way forward?

Can't be any worse.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    edited June 2016
    It takes the average UK wage earner 4 years to earn the same as one of these players earn in a week...16 years to earn their Monthly pay..in 2 months time 32 years of graft..you get my drift.
    That's without all the sponsorship deals, signing on fees etc....just for kicking a ball about..very badly I may add. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    You can't blame the players for how they're paid. Football's entertainment, just like the movies and music. Nobody begrudges movie stars their huge pay packets.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    What did for Hoddle was his incendiary comments about disabled people.

Besides while he was showing off his keepy uppy skills Paul Ince should have a put a tackle in, something Hoddle failed to do in his whole career.

Apart from that I thought he was a good coach, apart from his selection of penalty takers, that is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    hobbio said:
    You can't blame the players for how they're paid. Football's entertainment, just like the movies and music. Nobody begrudges movie stars their huge pay packets.

I hate this argument. What they do creates money, it's right that they should be the main beneficiaries of that money too. It's also the most honest and open careers to get into-doesn't matter if you're black or white, what school you went to or who your dad was-if you're good enough and work hard, anybody can do it.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

hobbio;1130409" said:
    No but you can blame them for performing badly, one old man on the sideline is hardly going to influence the team, very few actors command huge fees after a career of flops.
    Music stars don't get huge royalty cheques for non selling albums.
    These guys feel it's ok to underperform and pocket insane amounts of money, safe in the knowledge that come August it'll all be old news.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    hobbio;1130409" said:
    No but you can blame them for performing badly, one old man on the sideline is hardly going to influence the team, very few actors command huge fees after a career of flops.
    These guys feel it's ok to underperform and pocket insane amounts of money, safe in the knowledge that come August it'll all be old news.
    The clubs pay them, and they're all (mostly) there because they've been performing at club level. If they can't carry their form into the national setup then there's something in that setup that's preventing them from playing their best.

I doubt any of them think it's ok to underperform either. They have underperformed, absolutley, but I bet that they're even more gutted about it than we are. Professional sportsmen don't get to the top because they don't care about their performance.

We need things like a winter break, and more emphasis on the importance of the national team. That'll never happen though, because of the Premier League.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• clarkydazclarkydaz Frets: 45
    hobbio said:
    Fretwired said:
    scrumhalf said:
    As a tactical coach Hoddle was superb, most of the players who played under him would agree.

I have it on good authority that many of the players hated him as his skill levels on the ball in training put them to shame. The FA should have put him in charge of young player development and skills development. He's the best England player I've ever seen play .. sheer class.

There are stories of him humiliating senior players in training by telling them that they're not good enough to pull off a certain skill or set-piece. I don't care how good he was as a player (and he was immense), you can't do that and expect the players to be on your side.

Also, faith healers? Fuck that!

sure I recall one was telling Beckham how to take free kicks properly.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22950
    axisus said:
    Why oh why didn't the FA pick Harry Redknapp, I'm sure he would have been brilliant. Too late for him now ....

England will have a piss-easy qualifying group as always, so anyone - Southgate, Stuart Pearce, an East European migrant who'll work for food - can take care of that bit, on the cheap.

Then bring in Harry a couple of months before the World Cup; his "put an arm round the lad and tell him he's a good boy" schtick might be effective just long enough to see them through a few games.

Follow that with a brave defeat on penalties in the quarter finals and you could call it "progess" or "building for the next tournament".

hobbio;1130409" said:

These guys will be hurting badly right now, they'll be embarrassed and ashamed. They'll struggle to be able to leave the house for a while yet-they'll get shit wherever they go. Club football is a little different-you can make up for it next week/next season but international is different. Even if it's on a selfish personal level, they'll be gutted they looked like twats last night. The tears were real at the final whistle no doubt.

hobbio;1130530" said:
    professorben said:

hobbio;1130409" said:You can't blame the players for how they're paid. Football's entertainment, just like the movies and music. Nobody begrudges movie stars their huge pay packets.

The clubs pay them, and they're all (mostly) there because they've been performing at club level. If they can't carry their form into the national setup then there's something in that setup that's preventing them from playing their best.

I doubt any of them think it's ok to underperform either. They have underperformed, absolutley, but I bet that they're even more gutted about it than we are. Professional sportsmen don't get to the top because they don't care about their performance.

We need things like a winter break, and more emphasis on the importance of the national team. That'll never happen though, because of the Premier League.
    A winter break? They play once or twice a week for about 8 months of the year........and that is a 90min run!!!!!

Yes I know they train, but that's part and parcel of being a pro sportsperson.
    I think they need a kick up the backside, it's far to much Club over Country and the national side needs to be a privilege not a right, bad behaviour off the pitch, you're out, bad performance last 2 club games, you're out, bad behaviour on the pitch, you're out.
    These are modern day superheroes to kids everywhere, it's simply not good enough.

If I turn up and do a shit job, best case I don't get paid, worse case someone could be injured or die, worse these guys get it a few unfriendly headlines and but of booing on the terraces.
    hobbio;1130530" said:
    professorben said:

hobbio;1130409" said:You can't blame the players for how they're paid. Football's entertainment, just like the movies and music. Nobody begrudges movie stars their huge pay packets.

A winter break? They play once or twice a week for about 8 months of the year........and that is a 90min run!!!!!

I think they need a kick up the backside, it's far to much Club over Country and the national side needs to be a privilege not a right, bad behaviour off the pitch, you're out, bad performance last 2 club games, you're out, bad behaviour on the pitch, you're out.
    These are modern day superheroes to kids everywhere, it's simply not good enough.

If I turn up and do a shit job, best case I don't get paid, worse case someone could be injured or die, worse these guys get it a few unfriendly headlines and but of booing on the terraces.

You be a professional footballer them....oh no you can't because you're not good enough, it's open to anyone to be one. Comparing them and us normal folk is ridiculous, they have a different life and experience to us.

lloyd;1130561" said:
    professorben said:

hobbio;1130530" said:professorben said:

You be a professional footballer them....oh no you can't because you're not good enough, it's open to anyone to be one. Comparing them and us normal folk is ridiculous, they have a different life and experience to us.
    That's a bit of a pointless statement, no I can't be a professional footballer, the opportunities for a overweight 36 year old are few in the modern game.

I can make a point that they are just guys doing a job, same as all of us, they excelled at something, it was kicking a ball about, so much that they were spotted, nurtured, funded and trained, dispite appearances I'm not jealous of them, I'm annoyed that time and time again, the national team fails to deliver, the reason? I can't say I'm no expert but like everyone I have an opinion, and in my opinion they need to buck up their ideas, sitting in a pile of your own shit crying, is something I expect of my baby boy, not a grown man.
    Let's not forget. They had a penalty in the 4th minute.........
    They were ahead
    They had won.
    All they had to do was shut the game down.
    Maybe they tried their best but they just came up short? Maybe they just weren't good enough on the night? Maybe the pressure git to them and the weight of expectation or they underestimated their opponents? Just because you give somebody a sackful of cash doesn't make them immune from making mistakes and being human you know? You can get annoyed at the national team failing to deliver over and over again but it's not this group of players that got beat in '98, 2002, or 2008 even, there's only a few left from the last World Cup 2 years ago. It's easy to criticise them and they probably deserve some shit but to bitch about the money they're being paid is nonsensical. I get paid even if I make a mistake at work, I'm sure you do too, we all have off days, we all make mistakes. The money angle has nothing to do with it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    lloyd;1130590" said:
    Maybe they tried their best but they just came up short? Maybe they just weren't good enough on the night? Maybe the pressure git to them and the weight of expectation or they underestimated their opponents? Just because you give somebody a sackful of cash doesn't make them immune from making mistakes and being human you know? You can get annoyed at the national team failing to deliver over and over again but it's not this group of players that got beat in '98, 2002, or 2008 even, there's only a few left from the last World Cup 2 years ago. It's easy to criticise them and they probably deserve some shit but to bitch about the money they're being paid is nonsensical. I get paid even if I make a mistake at work, I'm sure you do too, we all have off days, we all make mistakes. The money angle has nothing to do with it.
    That's a fair point, they prob would not have done any different given twice or half the money they get, but it just grates. I guess they are just had an off night.
    I suppose I don't have millions of people watching my work, expecting great things.
    I'm currently hitting hour 16 of my day with a conservative estimate of another 6 to go....... I'm a bit tired.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited June 2016
    lloyd said:
    hobbio said:

I hate this argument. What they do creates money, it's right that they should be the main beneficiaries of that money too. It's also the most honest and open careers to get into-doesn't matter if you're black or white, what school you went to or who your dad was-if you're good enough and work hard, anybody can do it.
    With respect I've seen loads of dodgy films in which so called stars were paid a fortune. I'd argue its far harder to be a top footballer. Love or hate Ronaldo he's awesome at what he does and he has to do it week in week out for a team that's owned by its fans and takes no prisoners. He's remained at the top for years and regularly gets kicked and fouled. Film stars are pampered compared to footballers. And football teams generate seious cash.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 985
    Just listening to the 5Live podcast, good to hear Danny Murphy & Chris Waddle talking from the heart on this http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03ztgl9
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    His contract was up after the tournament anyway
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw