I tried the new Marshall jubilee combo!

What's Hot
timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
It's bloody great!
I popped into PMT in Cambridge today to pick up a few pedals and gave them a good thrashing through the new baby Jube!

It's a big sounding combo, the thing that really got me was how clear it sounded, even under boosted high gain the clarity and punch was second to none. The drive is superbly dynamic too, cleans up really nicely on the guitar volume pot.

If I could justify the £950 price tag, I'd certainly get one!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• love the look of the silver jubilee mini head but I hear (from musicradar review) that it can get "flubby" (what does this mean...?) at higher volume/gain settings? 

I don't know if that's specific to the head version. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    It just means that the low end can get a bit much, I personally didn't find that.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    It means overly compressed and soggy-sounding at the bottom end when pushed hard.

Some people like it, it's a characteristic of the Fender Deluxe for example. Not good for classic rock really, though.

I wouldn't worry about it - firstly Jubilees don't sound like that to me, and secondly I doubt you'd play it loud enough to get there anyway... they're LOUD.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks, guys!
    I don't think I'd buy a new one but if I saw a used mini jubilee head..
  • You're fuelling my gas! On paper the head looks great. At Sweetwater in the US they're selling a matching slanted 2x12 that looks the business. The cab is made in the UK but not for sale here. Daft.
  • I'd love to try one. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited August 2016
    On a totally separate note (sorry!) as you mention matching cabs, have you seen this kick-ass looking HT1RH with matching cab (I don't need a cab)? 
    http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_amps_detail.asp?stock=160406296786008
  • I think used to play Silver Jubilees a load, right? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    On a totally separate note (sorry!) as you mention matching cabs, have you seen this kick-ass looking HT1RH with matching cab (I don't need a cab)?
    Ick.

Looks a bit like something horrible from the 80s.

The black HT-1R is *much* nicer. I can think of other colours that would look nice on it, but that's not one of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Yeah I can't decide whether it's dead cool or sicky lol... 

• DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    ICBM said:
    Ick.

Looks a bit like something horrible from the 80s.

The black HT-1R is *much* nicer. I can think of other colours that would look nice on it, but that's not one of them.
    Hopefully the 750 will all end up abroad.
  • Sounds MASIF here:

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10457
    I kind of really wanted one of these when when I heard about them and my local PMT has one. It's too much money though and although it's perfect for pub classic rock I'm doing other stuff as well these days that's more suited to Fender voicing

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Would have been nice if it had switchable channels. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    Sounds MASIF here:

I've never been much of a Marshall fan - but I have to agree that sounded very good.

To be fair, Neville Marten seems to be one of those players who gets a good tone out of anything he uses. 
  • Really hope they get some in stock in any shop up here.. love to try one..
  • A mate of mine has/had the original issue (50 or 100w, I can't remember). He thought it was the dog's bollocks. I thought it just sounded like a Marshall at the time, and didn't appreciate that few Marshalls actually sounded that good. Mind you, I think it was the fact it had a silver panel instead of the usual gold that tainted my opinion
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I think up until that point (mid 80s) it was hard to get a bad sounding Marshall so we all took it a bit for granted - if only we had known the models they would release in future years. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10457
    I had the original 100 watt with matching silver jubilee cab, I gig'ed it all over the place with a home made power brake.

Once at Highbury college I played a whole gig with the amp on full pelt .... immense sound

Have to say though, there are better more "Marshally" sounding Marshall's than Jubilee's. The head in the picture was flogged on by me for about £250 ish I think and the cab for about £180. I  brought another Marshall 100 watt head for £100, that's all they were worth in the eighties when rack gear was becoming popular 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom