Jet City JCA 100HDM
    Jet City Custom 22
    Jet City JCA 20H
    Marshall JTM45 Reissue
    Fender Pro Junior
    Tweed Princeton clone
    Dynacord 50w valve head
    Tweed Champ clone

Plus a handful of assorted cheap but good sounding analogue solid state amps.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31659
    I was feeling real funny about splurging on two good amps - hopefully they'll be fantastic and that'll do me! :)
    It's nice to splurge sometimes, though the first three on my list are my gigging amps, brand new they add up to less than £750 combined, or a handful of gigs' pay.

If I didn't need my gig money to live on I could buy a JCA20H every week.

My other amps are purely for pleasure, though I rarely use them any more tbh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    Alnico said:
    ^
    I'm quite sure Harry means that Tommy !

Sadly, yes...it's true!

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4323
    edited July 2016
    If no amps, say what you use instead lol.
    Also nice if you have multipled amps to say what's your fave and "worst" and why - just curious!
    sorry Thomas

I only play acoustic now and don't gig, so I have no need. 

I have owned...

Fender M80 - solid state, ridiculously loud, really high gain

Marshall JCM900 - 100w head and 4x12 - also really loud and really high gain, but I loved it

Blackstar HT1R - still quite loud for a 1w amp, still really high gain, owned for a week. Returned it for a...

Marshall Class 5 mk2 - loud, not so high gain, they come in for a lot of criticism but I liked it

Tone King Imperial mk2 - loud but very controllable with the Ironman attenuator. Lovely cleans, just not so happy with the crunch

Lowden O22C - I guess the soundhole is the speaker and the body is the amplifier. Quite loud, but likes to be handled gently, very responsive to picking technique, sounds like a chorus of angels. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• slackerslacker Frets: 2254
    Zvex nano. Are they good?
    Matchless lightning seems popular, as do egnater tweakers!

Nano-it was designed as a recording amp forsaturation without killing microphones. I bought mine when I was long term sick and could carry it when on crutches. I couldn't bring myself to sell it.

Matchless-imho the best amp ever. Cleans are awesome. I need to sort out a cab. The bad cat is a sampson era one with matchless components and is very good but the lightning is better.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    CHRISB50 said:
    Tone King Imperial mk2 - loud but very controllable with the Ironman attenuator. Lovely cleans, just not so happy with the crunch
    I've come to the conclusion that no amp does 'truly great' cleans and crunch/drive - they are all a compromise to some extent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4323
    CHRISB50 said:
    I've come to the conclusion that no amp does 'truly great' cleans and crunch/drive - they are all a compromise to some extent.
    I think you're right.

2 amps, with switching, I guess is the best solution. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    13, like most homes.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616
    A lot of these sound loud, do you all live in big detached houses in the middle of a field? 
    Close....I live in a field LOL
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    bazxkr said:
    Well, this is somewhat embarrassing.............not in any particular order...just trying to remember all the fu****s Engl E650 100w head + Engl 2x12 Pro Blackheart BH5 head with 1x12 fully RAT modded Fender Excelsior Pro Surf Green WEM Dominator III 1975........... gorgeous pc of history Fender Supersonic 100w Twin FSR limited edition black & gold combo Vox AC15 C1 combo Blackstar Fly Stack Yamaha THR10C Blackstar ID30 TVP Fender Greta Fender G Dec 30 Marshall AS50R Laney VC15 limited edition white tolex Pretty sad really......need to cull
    I'll look after the Engl stuff for ya  ;)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    Nitefly said:
    Just the two.

Ashdown Peacemaker 20 - 20w 1x10 combo - love it as it's very controllable.

Fender Ramparte - 9w 1x10 combo - can't get on with it at all - I've played through it twice since I bought it new, and it's back in the box it came in.  It has NO clean headroom, but it looks fabulous.

What I really want/need is something small and quiet, but with lots of clean headroom.  Does such a thing even exist?

I've heard that too about the Ramparte altho I've never seen one in the flesh....apparently all dirt almost straight away. shame cos I love the look of it. It's 'brother' the Excelsior has way more clean than the Ramparte & is around the same money & can soundreal  big with the 15" speaker & oversize box but is no way small.Someone here will have an ideal solution
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1447
    I've had so many amps, but now I have only two. One Korg-era AC30TBX, the other a JMI AC30TB. I haven't got a favourite out of the two - they're very slightly different. The Korg one is perhaps slightly more muscular sounding, the JMI rounder. I suspect largely to do with the age of the speakers and the slightly larger filter caps on the more modern one. Been round in circles and finally I'm happy. I'm not saying I won't change the Korg for another vintage one if the right one comes up, but the AC30 through Blues is the sound I hear in my head.
    edited July 2016
    bazxkr said:
    Well, this is somewhat embarrassing.............not in any particular order...just trying to remember all the fu****s Engl E650 100w head + Engl 2x12 Pro Blackheart BH5 head with 1x12 fully RAT modded Fender Excelsior Pro Surf Green WEM Dominator III 1975........... gorgeous pc of history Fender Supersonic 100w Twin FSR limited edition black & gold combo Vox AC15 C1 combo Blackstar Fly Stack Yamaha THR10C Blackstar ID30 TVP Fender Greta Fender G Dec 30 Marshall AS50R Laney VC15 limited edition white tolex Pretty sad really......need to cull
    I'll look after the Engl stuff for ya 

That is very kind of you sir ...will you take the kids and ol' lady too then maybe we can make it work haha

The Engl is a keeper...... this side of bankruptcy anyway

That Blackmore E650 is very under rated......you can get lovely cleans right through to brutal death metal. You can dial in whatever you need. Not just Blackmore tones. Extremely versatile.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    CHRISB50 said:I think you're right.

I'm thinking a pair of DRRIs for cleans, a Matchless or Bad Cat for 'edge of break-up' and a Soldano for leads.

Probably a bit OTT for the spare room in a 3 bed semi....
  • CHRISB50 said:I think you're right.

I'm thinking a pair of DRRIs for cleans, a Matchless or Bad Cat for 'edge of break-up' and a Soldano for leads.

Probably a bit OTT for the spare room in a 3 bed semi....

Agreed. You'd find it much easier to roll out of bed and wake everyone else up if they were in the master bedroom. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3638
    Marshall Valvestate

Peavey Bravo

Fender Mustang.

I have  a yen for a Fender Deluxe or  Princeton but not actively looking.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Alnico said:
    Vox VT20+
    Spends most of it's time on the JCM800 or the Mesa Dual Rec models.
    It's awesome.

EDIT: So does modelling count as one amp or not?

Pretty sure that counts as 33 different amps @alnico
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3077
    Probably more than I need but less than I want

Marshall JCM800 4010 combo
    Marshall 5503 bass combo
    Marshall Lead 20
    Mesa Boogie studio .22
    Groove Tubes studio
    Trace Accoustic TA35cr
    Ferrograph mk5
    Dallas Arbiter Slider
    Roland Microcube
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    Roland Jazz Chorus JC77
    Fender Blues Junior (re-housed and now a 2x10")
    Two Rock Exo 15 head and cab
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • p90fool said:
    Jet City JCA 100HDM
    Jet City Custom 22
    Jet City JCA 20H
    Marshall JTM45 Reissue
    Fender Pro Junior
    Tweed Princeton clone
    Dynacord 50w valve head
    Tweed Champ clone

Plus a handful of assorted cheap but good sounding analogue solid state amps.

I'm getting a jet city custom 22 one day. I very nearly wound up with one a few weeks ago but something else came up instead and I couldn't resist. 

So I now have two amps. A peavey bandit and an ac15.