Chorus- are you a yay or a nay?

What's Hot
xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
So do you like chorus, and what's your chorus story? 

After a long time in denial I am firmly back in the chorus camp. 

Let me explain: like a lot of people I thought chorus was a bit naff and 80s. I had a first gen Danelectro Cool Cat (which was a bit of a Boss CE2 homage pedal so not bad) and I used this for covers, rhythm stuff etc when needed. 

Then I ditched the board that was on and avoided chorus for years. 

But then I tried a humble Boss Super Chorus last year and liked how it  was relatively restrained. I don't use it all the time but it's there to add a bit extra when needed. It blends really well with my Boss flanger. 

So do you like chorus or avoid  it? And what's your current pedal? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    edited July 2016
    Chorus Nay

Vibrato Yay

I only tend to like chorus on delays, not on my main signal.  I quite liked the sound from the DD20 which I still have, but no longer use due to owning an Axe FX 2 (which I use much the same way).
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    Love a bit of chorus. Just thickens things out and gives a part some character. Used sparingly of course. For clean sounds I prefer a very wet chorus and for dirty ones a more subtle affair. I also have a patch with the speed set high to give that leslie type sound despite having a really good leslie sim on the Mobius. Embrace the chorus I say but I am a child of the 80's. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16300
    Malekko little thingy (CE 2 clone).  Yay pretty much only in the sense that it is an instant late 70s/ early 80s sound and sometimes that's what I need.  
    If anything I prefer a digital delay (assuming I want delay on as well) with chorus style modulation as that's a bit less in your face. Again,  prefer as in instant time machine rather than loving the sound. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    Nay.
    I've never managed to dial in a sound I like, although I'm sure that there must be one in there somewhere!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @BigMonka ;

That was my take, until a friend showed me how to get a sort of 'wide but subtle' sound by having the depth right up and the rate pulled back.

I do tend to leave it that kind of setting. 
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 913
    edited July 2016
    I like a vibrato-y chorus. My favourite being a Boss VB2 type chorus blended with a dry signal. I find the analog Boss CE5 does a good job of this.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30309
    I've really tried to like chorus and despite having owned several pedals, I always come back to the conclusion that it's a vile, hideous hateful effect and whoever invented it should've been drowned at birth, preferably in a swirly wavy ocean.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    edited July 2016
    Big fan of flangey chorus (or should that be that chorus-y flange?).  Use a Stereo Polychorus (XO version) in flange mode on one board, and a Mooer ElecLady on the other.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    I first got a chorus pedal when I was about 14 - was a really cheap unit but I instantly loved the sound. I remember thinking it made the guitar sound almost like a 12 string. I had the pedal on my board for years but never really 'got' it - couldn't quite find a use for it. But, when the pedal broke, I felt I missed it.

I then stumbled across Boo Instruments and their chorus. It is simply sublime! Really lush sounding, clear, warm. I only use it very subtly but I'm certainly in the "yes to chorus" camp.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6527
    Flange, trem and phaser all totally trump chorus for me. Never heard a chorus sound I like.

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    edited July 2016
    I'm a yay, but I mostly play spacy, dreampop, so it's hardly surprising.
    Favourites are the Boss CE-3, Ibanez BCL Bi-Mode Chorus, Behringer CC-300 Space Chorus (a clone of the Boss DC-2) and the Carlsbro Minifex Chorus, which has the SAD512 BBD chip and has a lovely, rich sound.
    ou, and I always have chorus on after flanger. There's a lovely interaction between the two that just sounds so good.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    I have a Boss Super Chorus.
    Got it to do Eagles stuff with.I do like it but in small doses it's not something
    I would use everyday.

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I'm not a huge chorus fan to be honest, however, I came across a few settings on the DD-500 with very short delay times that emulate a chorus and they sound great for an 80s sound, a little more organic than actual chorus.  It has its uses I guess.  
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Yes!      
    Bought an ibanez cs9 new in the mid 80's and have rarely done a gig since then without some form of chorus.  
     These days I mostly I go for a very slow rate and varied depth to make the guitar sound bigger or use a dimension c  and if I want something more warbley I've moved towards using a trem or rotary sound.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I've always been into 80's rock/metal, i just never stopped listening to it and still do today, right now in fact.
    I'm a Yay for Chorus, despite how camp that sounds !

Then again, i'm into music where most of the males wore make up.................... :s
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6114
    I used Chorus a lot in the eighties as it made everything sound sweeter and more interesting which was very useful when you're a stumbling rhythm player. I don't use it hardly at all these days, preferring a subtle Hi Band Flange to get that spacey feel. I've still got my DC-2 though, you never know when it might be needed and it is a very nice sound.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    +1 for chorus on delay. I like the mod setting on the Carbon Copy, with a short delay. I much prefer this to directly applying the chorus to the main signal for some reason.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    Chorus - yes (an old CE 2) - 12 string like sounds, and for cover ballads.  Love it !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Almost always had a chorus on my board, but was never overly thrilled with the sounds I was getting (had a lot of different chorus pedals over the years). Turns out, it's actually stereo detune I like rather than chorus specifically. I now use a pitchshifter for that sound and am much happier with it.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8754
    Being in a covers band that does a lot of 80s material I would find it difficult to be without a Chorus. Previously I always avoided one. As for which pedal, well that's the benefit of digital effects. I programme in what the song needs
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.