Chorus- are you a yay or a nay?

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    I like it on delay and I can also tolerate it wet/dry as in Roland JC. Don't like it applied to the whole signal so much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    My problem with chorus is that some people don't know when to switch it off.
    Many a good recording has been ruined by being drenched in the sickly effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    JDE said:
    Almost always had a chorus on my board, but was never overly thrilled with the sounds I was getting (had a lot of different chorus pedals over the years). Turns out, it's actually stereo detune I like rather than chorus specifically. I now use a pitchshifter for that sound and am much happier with it.
    The Boss PS-3 does that sound really well. I think it's because it uses 2 instances of the sound, so you can detune up and down simultaneously.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11989
    a few  albums out there sound good with it. loads sound awful
    I've never found a chorus patch that works for me
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I hate it on the direct sound, but on delay repeats it's magical. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12961
    I want to like it but have never made it work.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431

For electric guitar: Rarely and only under duress.

For electro-acoustic: Never never never. That's a sound I really detest :(

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    Best sound ever - running through my Vibratone on slow mode. A barely-perceptible swirling but oh so lush.
  • FezFez Frets: 536
    I'm a yay but I do believe that less is more.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    JezWynd said: The Boss PS-3 does that sound really well. I think it's because it uses 2 instances of the sound, so you can detune up and down simultaneously.
    That is currently what I'm using for exactly that. I've just got a PS5 from here, so I'm hoping to A/B them and see which I prefer. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10731
    I quite like it on stereo setting through 2 amps (despite not having stereo hearing) because it makes the sound huge, and I sometimes have to use it for various specific songs that use it heavily. But I normally don't use it. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72669
    Yay, but only sparingly. I'm not a massive fan of the classic CE-2 syrupy thick chorus either, I prefer it more airy/phasey or more shimmery/vibey, or even more metallic/flangey.

I agree that anyone using it on a piezo-pickup electro-acoustic needs to have their fingers broken, too...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6172
    edited July 2016
    I'm telling you son that good ol' Chorus pedals, like me, never go out of style!

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I think the 80s a sufficiently behind us now for chorus  to be almost cool again, in a retro rediscovery kind of way. 

Of my favourite 80s type chorus tones though, only one I believe (Cyndi Lauper, Time After Time) is a pedal. The rest are studio trickery, to wit: 

Zakk Wlyde on Ozzy's Miracle Man sounds for all the world to me like a Boss Chorus, but apparently it's double tracked. 

INXS's Kick has lots of chorusy rhythm guitars/ riffing (e.g. New Sensation/ Need You Tonight) but it's actually Tim and Kirk playing said parts simultaneously. 

The bridge on Def Leppard's Hysteria song is Collen and Clarke recorded playing each note of each chord on each individual string, the whole thing being played back as a big multi layered part. So that's why I could never get it sounding right....

• Yup. Love my dod fx65. Bit noisy, but such a classy sounding chorus. 
    I forgot another 80's fave, Robert Plant's Big Log which I should note for the benefit of our mate @icbm sounds for all the world like an out of phase Strat through a syrupy Boss CE1 or 2 ;).
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28736
    Only before dirt. And preferably a DC-2.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72669
    Skarloey said:
    I forgot another 80's fave, Robert Plant's Big Log which I should note for the benefit of our mate @icbm sounds for all the world like an out of phase Strat through a syrupy Boss CE1 or 2 ;).
    Great song, but… seriously, a strong contender for one of the worst guitar sounds ever recorded :).

I had it on 12" single back in the day. Just listening to it again now - "of its time" is about the kindest thing I can say about the guitar. I think it was this era Plant was talking about when he said something similar in that rather good documentary about him that was on a while back.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

No seriously, I like it.

I think chorus plus out of phase Strat is good. Think Richard Thompson :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2254
    Sort of-I had a CE2 and I sold it, possibly to Sporky. I then got a Mojo Vibe (I know it isnt a chorus even though it sez it on the box) and then sold it to some bloke in Belfast. I then got a DMM as a delay (obviously) and liked the modulation options (keep the delay time very short). 

Although I love effects and have two boards full I view them as an effect and the off switch is there for a reason. My base sound is clean and unaffected. Dirt is from a pedal and everything else is to add colour or space or difference.