Chorus- are you a yay or a nay?

What's Hot

Comments

• BoopDeWoopBoopDeWoop Frets: 101
    Despite being a huge Nirvana fan when I picked up the guitar I never liked chorus. But last year I picked up a EQD Sea Machine and it's changed my mind. It's not on my pedal board but if i want a one pedal and amp play it's amazing. Really musical and not fake/obnoxious. It can go batshit crazy if you want it to be though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    I put my chorus back on my board recently.  I was playing for We WIll Rock You at my daughters' school and there are a few of those 80's Queen songs that need chorus to sound right.  There's actually a Brian May Toneprint for the TC Corona!  I think I'm going to leave it on the board.

I've got modulation on my delay and reverb pedals so I had been using that a lot, plus faking it with a POG 2 but there seems to be a slight delay with the POG that annoys me.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited July 2016
    Well, I'm sniffing around ones of these I've spotted...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • baddog01baddog01 Frets: 8
    Interesting Flanger. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Chorus is good.
    I like the MXR Microchorus is front of my amp, and/or the Digitech Multichorus in the loop. As an extra putting the multi between 2 digital delays (not set too high) goes straight to 80's awesomeness.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• maidenfanmaidenfan Frets: 197
    Love chorus in a glorious 80's way, landau, huff et al
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6540
    mike_l said:
    Chorus is good.
    I like the MXR Microchorus is front of my amp, and/or the Digitech Multichorus in the loop. As an extra putting the multi between 2 digital delays (not set too high) goes straight to 80's awesomeness.
    There is no such thing as '80's awesomeness'........ 

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I got sick of using chorus 10 yrs ago.....think it was my constant overuse going for that 80s clean chorus with some verb and a bit of delay. Anyway after those years of total abstinence i can again tolerate it for occasional use....my bands now doing purple rain in our set list and without it ,it just sounds wrong.  So for some songs its a must but i still hate it if used without subtlety. Can't stand that under water sound if you go OTT with it....yuck!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mike_l said:
    Chorus is good.
    There is no such thing as '80's awesomeness'........ 
    Now then youngman, I want you to go to your room and think about what you've said.
    Then when it's fully sunk in, come and apologise.

Mostly cos you know I'm right. ;-) 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • baddog01baddog01 Frets: 8
    edited July 2016
    Some of the 80's were cool. I went through my teens in the 80's and like some of the music. but I also like classic rock , hard rock, Metal and even some country.  The country simply because it reminds me of simpler time. 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Time is a great healer and bringer of perspective, and while I think the 80s in Britain quote clearly were a time of great upheaval socially and politically in ways which perhaps have only just in the last ten years started to bear rather ugly fruit, I think that culturally it was no better or worse than any other decade. The best of the 80s stands up incredibly well with any other time. 
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 839
    First after the wah and it's a joyo analog chorus! Cheapskate lol!
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Nay here it took me years to realise that the chorus sounds I loved were usually Leslie or rotary sounds. Think Badge by Cream.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Skarloey said:
    Time is a great healer and bringer of perspective, and while I think the 80s in Britain quote clearly were a time of great upheaval socially and politically in ways which perhaps have only just in the last ten years started to bear rather ugly fruit, I think that culturally it was no better or worse than any other decade. The best of the 80s stands up incredibly well with any other time. 
    The last great decade of British pop. I've just got up so how well I've thought this through I don't know...

Duran Duran, Human League, Culture Club, Iron Maiden,etc...bands making innovative music of its time. British bands who became world famous, pop and rock as cultural phenomena (Live Aid 1985 for example). 
    By the 90s we start to see the decline of British bands leading the way. Grunge as American, as anti pop, as recycling older ideas - that we'd reached the point where the 50s, 60s, 70s were now so far away you could steal from them and not expect people to notice. Into the 21st century we see the decline of the charts, the physical object replaced by downloads, streaming, YouTube, access to everything all at once so Elvis and Rhianna become all much the same.

I say this as someone who really wasn't all that interested at the time. But as a peice the 80s was the last golden era of British pop. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It took me a while to realise it's actually a flanger sound with a chorus twist that does it for me.  That's why I've snapped up the Boss BF1 as seems to do it well. My Supa Puss delay can also modulate the delays a bit too which I like.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @andyoz BF2 into the Super Chorus for me. 

Glorious combination. If flanger and chorus is good enough for The Cult  it's good for me. 

Cue rude comments about Billy Duffy now I suppose...
    Jesus, I was just having a bash at Cult riffs last night.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

I vote yes, but strictly for funky chops, preferably for a limited number of bars.  If I see anybody strumming with chorus on I would probably leave the building.  But funky chords and leslieish wobble on the odd phrase ala John Scofield it's ace.  I'm using a Mooer at the moment, which is nice, but can leak clock noise in bybass if you leave it with the rate high.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9673
    I remember coming home from school on Fridays and watching The Tube for 3 hours, There always seemed to be a band on there using JC120 amps, and I grew to dislike that thin,weedy sound. For me, chorus is for jangly arpeggios played on a clean or possibly chimey amp, preferably using that sweet middle position on a humbucker guitar. Nothing like it.

Never really liked chorus on a distorted sound, apart from a few moments from the Cult and the most quintessentially 80s song ever - Eighties by Killing Joke.

Interestingly, there's a great clip of James Dean Bradfield demonstrating his greatest riffs, and Motorcyle Emptiness has a Boss CH-1 on it.

As an aside, whenever I hear a nice analogue chorus sound, I can visualise that distinctive CE-2 shade of blue, like some kind of mild synaesthesia.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited July 2016
    I like chorus sometimes.

I insist on analogue for chorus (and modulation generally).

Chorus pedals I own:

Visual Sound V2 Liquid Chorus

Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus   [''sonic replica" of Boss CE1]

biyang tonfancier [ce-2 clone]

Aria CH-5 Chorus (MIJ, mid 1980s)

Some really nice mid-1980s Japanese analogue choruses - other than the obvious Boss and Ibanez models - can be found very affordably. brands such as Pearl, Yamaha, Aria, Guyatone.  

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw