Boss Waza Amp

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8537
Well it's landed, I so thought it was a joke, but no, over £3k for the amp head and 2x12 cab and it sounds like arse. What were they thinking!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    Sounds like poop in that video too. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24308
    £1200 for a 4x12?

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • karltonekarltone Frets: 44
    Waza load of crap ;-)
    www.karltone.co.uk    Dealer in Valves and bits and bobs   www.facebook.com/karltonevalves
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    A friend of mine techs for Five Seconds of Summer - he knows a fair bit about guitar tone. Their entire backline is made up of these - and he really rates them - perhaps the problem is the video?

Is Chappers gradually coalescing into David Brent? 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    Watched most of that earlier. I'm fairly sure that a YouTube clip on my iPad can't do justice to a £3k amp but it really needed a wider variety of playing to show it off. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    To be fair to Boss, a lot of Anderton's demos sound like arse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26612
    edited July 2016
    Actually, I thought it sounded pretty good once they got it whacked up loud (around 22:30-ish). When they were using the DI out, it definitely sounded totally shit. Seems to have that low-down "whump" you get from a loud valve amp.

Still, I can't see the point in paying £3k to get that from a solid state amp when a £300 valve amp will do exactly the same thing.

As for the tone module thing...that's absolute bullshit. They could just as easily do that with a software update, but this way they get to charge you for every extra model you want to use.

I'm honestly struggling to see what this does that a Yamaha THR100H can't.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6161
    tFB Trader
    Let's assume the modelling in the amp is the absolute bees knees (just for arguments sake) and priced to compete with axefx,  ... Why though are the cabs  so expensive?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26612
    ThorpyFX said:
    Let's assume the modelling in the amp is the absolute bees knees (just for arguments sake) and priced to compete with axefx,  ... Why though are the cabs  so expensive?
    'cos you can't have an expensive amp without an expensive cab.
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    ThorpyFX said:
    If it's like the pedals, they'll be "Inspected in Japan". That means that after building it in Taiwan they have to ship it to Japan and pay someone at a much higher hourly rate to take the back off and check the solder joints. It's a bugger to get the back off a 4x12" without chewing up the vinyl sometimes...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    I'm honestly struggling to see what this does that a Yamaha THR100H can't.
    It bends the gravitational field a lot more. :)
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I also quite liked the tones, bearing in mind to two obvious caveats. 
    1) it's a YouTube video 
    2) it's Chappers. 

I'll be more interested to see what happens when Mick and Danish Pete do their thing. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Just realised that Chappers is an ideal example of 'tone is in the fingers' 
    just guess it cuts both ways.......
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    ThorpyFX said:

I'm with you on this. For me the cab pricing exposes their pricing policy for the amp, which seems to be: pick a sensible number and double it. Then add a bit more.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    When it is more expensive than a new Mesa 4x12 in the UK you know it is too expensive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    ThorpyFX said:
    That's because Waza is Roland's boutique market brand, so cost / price models go out of the window for a market lead product.  There was a comment on the Blues Cube that if the price was £2,000 they would sell far more, I guess that is the market position taken by the Waza amps, foot in both camps...

When it is more expensive than a new Mesa 4x12 in the UK you know it is too expensive.
    Too true, WIZza craft point awarded   :-B

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    That Charvel that Rob's playing looks nice

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6161
    tFB Trader
    cj73 said:
    That Charvel that Rob's playing looks nice

That's the piece I took away from the video....... Gas gas gas!

ThorpyFX said:
    That's because Waza is Roland's boutique market brand, so cost / price models go out of the window for a market lead product.  There was a comment on the Blues Cube that if the price was £2,000 they would sell far more, I guess that is the market position taken by the Waza amps, foot in both camps...

Too true, WIZza craft point awarded   :-B
    All great points..... I think this may be a case where the market decides........

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited July 2016
    WHy does it have a power scaling option when its solid state?

Ah, it emulates power amp distortion too

I think it sounds really good. That price point can fuck right off though. Hopefully this and the THR reprisent a new wave of good solid state amps.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I look forward to picking one up second hand for about 600 quid.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom