Worst pedal you've owned?

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    My worst pedal was the EHX Lumberjack. I bought it because it was £30 and it put me into the free postage bracket. From what I gathered it put a horrible crunching noise on your signal. It didn't even sound like it was part of the guitar sound. Just a horrible, unmusical, on-top noise. God knows what they are thinking

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921
    Mine was probably the Hotone Fury Fuzz. A shame, as I like their Blues Driver clone, and I'm a big fan of the form factor. But it just sounded really boring and bland. No idea what, if anything, it's a clone of.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1504
    Theez:

It was supposed to be a clone of the Blues Driver. Extremely low gain, useless with single coils, barely noticeable with humbuckers.

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Hao Rust Booster.
    Most disappointing pedal ever. Not much volume and sounded like a broken chainsaw.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    edited July 2022
    The Electro Harmonix Screaming Bird has to be the worst sounding pedal I have ever used
    Isn't that a treble booster essentially 
    I bought it thinking it would be a Treble Booster in a similar way to how a Rangemaster is a Treble Booster, ie a boost with a focus on upper mids. It turned out to sound more like it cut out everything below the upper mids and boosted everything above it so it sounded like I was playing a DS1 through an old telephone line.

I imagine it could have worked in parallel with the unboosted sound, perhaps via a boss ls2, but it seemed crazy to buy that just to make a crappy £20 flimsy pedal sound usable
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    d8m said:
    Had an Arion Overdrive back in the day. Still gives me nightmares now.
    Arion Metal Master. If you think the MT-2 is bad, 5 mins with the Metal Master would have you drooling over one.  :s
  • VoxsupertwinVoxsupertwin Frets: 337
    The worst pedal I have ever owned was the right hand one on my Tri-Ang Tricycle when I was 4.
    It wobbled a lot.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    The absolutely worst pedal anyone could own is a chorus pedal..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4215
    SansAmp Tri-OD. I swear there wasn't a good sound to be had out of that thing. Managed to be ice-picky and muddy at the same time. 
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    edited July 2022
    After enough pages, it’s possible that every single pedal ever  made, is the worst ..
    My playing guitar certainly is.
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 955
    When I was a kid i had a 'Rocktek' overdrive. To be fair to it i don't know if it was the pedal or the solid state Sound City 1 x 10 combo i was playing it through, but I sounded shit. Kind of fizzy and weak. Like a shandy. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    The Electro Harmonix Screaming Bird has to be the worst sounding pedal I have ever used
    I bought it thinking it would be a Treble Booster in a similar way to how a Rangemaster is a Treble Booster, ie a boost with a focus on upper mids. It turned out to sound more like it cut out everything below the upper mids and boosted everything above it so it sounded like I was playing a DS1 through an old telephone line.

I imagine it could have worked in parallel with the unboosted sound, perhaps via a boss ls2, but it seemed crazy to buy that just to make a crappy £20 flimsy pedal sound usable

Often, for me anyway, part of the fun of some pedals is finding out how to get a good sound out of them. 

I never really found a good use for this circuit though. Think I got some OK sounds boosting fuzz in a narsty kind of way. 

EHX probably made a few quid out of it right enough.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717

Often, for me anyway, part of the fun of some pedals is finding out how to get a good sound out of them. 

I never really found a good use for this circuit though. Think I got some OK sounds boosting fuzz in a narsty kind of way. 

EHX probably made a few quid out of it right enough.
    I did find a good sound from it, by switching it off :)

Actually it did achieve the tone of the first two bars of Green Day's American Idiot. Which is not particularly useful, but that was literally it
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • My worst has to be a Rocktek overdrive pedal that sounded rubbish whatever it was plugged into. I've got a place in audio hell reserved for a Boss Metallizer, but that sounded amazing compared with the Rocktek. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    edited July 2022
    Mooer Pure Octave. The colour of it actually sums up what it sounds like and it's not mud.....
  • provprov Frets: 9
    My worst has to be a Rocktek overdrive pedal that sounded rubbish whatever it was plugged into. I've got a place in audio hell reserved for a Boss Metallizer, but that sounded amazing compared with the Rocktek. 
    Rocktek for me as well, but the Vibrator (stop sniggering at the back!)
    Did nothing but kill the tone, a genuine sex toy used as a slide would be more useful than that pointless lump of crap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Yorkie said:

It was supposed to be a clone of the Blues Driver. Extremely low gain, useless with single coils, barely noticeable with humbuckers.
    Sounds more like a Marshall Bluesbreaker copy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    TC Mimiq. Absolute dogmash.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 524
    Wampler Ace-30. There were just about usable sounds on the ‘AC-15’ side. The other side was weedy and characterless.

Catalinbread  Formula 5 - was hoping for tweed but got a buzzy mush instead. 

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4138
    Hattigol said:
    TC Mimiq. Absolute dogmash.
    What rig were you using it with? There’s a pretty critical trick to it having any materially good effect…