Recommend me a pedal.....

What's Hot
AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
edited August 2016 in FX
Hi all,

I'm playing a Strat into a Victory V40, which gives me is a pretty good scooped blackface style sound.
But wanting to push the mids more.

Guessing the obvious choice is a TS808 tubescreamer but thought I'd check for other options.

My current pedals are a JRockett Dude and Wampler Tumnus.    These sound superb with humbuckers but the Dude is a little thin with vintage style single coils .

I'm wanting a Matt Schofield type of sound I guess...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30925

@thorpyFX Peacekeeper.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dr Scientist The Elements. Three band EQ with a moveable mid-hump so you can pick which part of the midrange you want to boost :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Boss MT-2 always and forever. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    edited August 2016
    Cheers for the suggestions all.

Is the peacekeeper a Klone style pedal?   Wondering if it's a similar deal to my tumnus.

Not heard of that Dr Scientist pedal.  will have a look at that.
  • Any EQ will do. That way you can select the frequencies you want to boost and by how much.

I remember seeing a pub band playing shortly after I started and being amazed at his tones. I was a snob who knew next to nothing except what I read in International Musician and Guitarist. I had assumed you kick in OD for solos, but all this guy had was a GE7.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Any EQ will do. That way you can select the frequencies you want to boost and by how much.

I remember seeing a pub band playing shortly after I started and being amazed at his tones. I was a snob who knew next to nothing except what I read in International Musician and Guitarist. I had assumed you kick in OD for solos, but all this guy had was a GE7.
    I like this idea!  Great advice.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30925

My Pete Cornish ST2 EQ is singularly my most tweaked and most used pedal.

Re Peacekeeper, not a klone, original design, pre drive mid eq, post drive bass and treble (I think- Adrian?)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Watch the That Pedal Show on overdrives - very impressed how the (new mini) Tubescreamer tightens up the mids of other distortion pedals,

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pj310pj310 Frets: 41
    Agree with @Gassage and definitely recommend the Peacekeeper. It really can be anything you want it to be in the low to medium gain department. The pre gain mids, or "presence" control changes the character of the overdrive from smooth to gritty, and the post gain bass and treble controls are active and with a huge range, allowing you to eq it to taste/to suit your guitar/amp. It really is marvelous.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430

An Ethos Overdrive will get you exactly what you want - at a price. The Peacekeeper is great but you already have two really nice pedals sound-wise so just add a graphic eq, as suggested by @pintspiller, to fatten up the Strat sound.

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6149
    tFB Trader
    Can't add a lot more than @gassage and @pj310 have already. the peacekeeper can do exactly what you want but gives you more flexibility to full in the gaps with your amps voice, ie fatten, thin and add a few more layers of complexity to the drive sound if you want it too. It's definetly not a klone and does a lot more than your standard klon or tubescreamer. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    Jimbro66 said:

An Ethos Overdrive will get you exactly what you want - at a price. The Peacekeeper is great but you already have two really nice pedals sound-wise so just add a graphic eq, as suggested by @pintspiller, to fatten up the Strat sound.

Hey mate, very good suggestion.   But I've tried a few dumble style pedals now,  ZenDrive and the Dude.  Both sound amazing with Humbuckers but not keen with single coils.  I've read similar things about the Ethos and single coils. Never tried one myself tho.
    edited August 2016
    Had a look at the Peacekeeper, it does sound the business.  But not quite the sound I'm after.

Wondering if I need something that has a little bit of compression.  

• JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    Maybe a RAT.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Boss MT-2 always and forever. 

No....2 of em cascaded 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28267
    With the drive down low it works very nicely for this - the parametric mid is particularly useful. If people ignored the "metal" bit of the name and actually tried experimenting with one they'd likely have quite a different opinion. As it is most people seem to think it just makes bees-in-a-jar noises.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2016

For a Matt Schofield sound I assume you have already considered (and discounted?) the obvious choice of a VOS?

BTW I use and Ethos with a Tele and it sounds good but the Ethos is more flexible that most D*mble-type pedals. That's what you pay for.

edited August 2016
    I meant SOV of course :D
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited August 2016
    Sporky said:
    With the drive down low it works very nicely for this - the parametric mid is particularly useful. If people ignored the "metal" bit of the name and actually tried experimenting with one they'd likely have quite a different opinion. As it is most people seem to think it just makes bees-in-a-jar noises.
    It wasn't entirely a fatuous suggestion. 
    Plus there are some pretty decent mods for them
    Brian Wampler has a nice one to turn it into a booster/EQ. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    +1 for the Peacekeeper, you could also try a Wampler Euphoria. All of the demos are with a Strat or Tele and they sound very nice.