Recommend me a pedal.....

What's Hot

Comments

• Sporky said:
    Boss MT-2 always and forever. 
    With the drive down low it works very nicely for this - the parametric mid is particularly useful. If people ignored the "metal" bit of the name and actually tried experimenting with one they'd likely have quite a different opinion. As it is most people seem to think it just makes bees-in-a-jar noises.

Also does wicked fuzz tones, full and thick or ultra piercing angry garage tones. 

Not tried it as an overdrive. But maybe I'll do it someday, if I find another going cheap enough. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28270
    edited August 2016
    It wasn't entirely a fatuous suggestion. 
    I did suspect that might be the case.

I bet if they took the same circuit, painted the case red and relabelled it as the "PFB-2 Parametric Fuzz-Boost" it'd sell by the bucketload!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Richardj said:
    +1 for the Peacekeeper, you could also try a Wampler Euphoria. All of the demos are with a Strat or Tele and they sound very nice.
    I used to have a Dual Fusion Wampler pedal which incorporated bits of the Euphoria.  I really liked it but it was more transparent with a little comperssion.  It didn't have the mids I need to be honest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jimbro66 said:
    I meant SOV of course :D
    Good call. Have you ever tried one?
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited August 2016
    I have a V40, used to have Strat but now have a Historic R8 Les Paul and a AV52 Tele, I use a J Rockett Archer for drive. It's a Klone same as the Tumnus and with the Les Paul it gives enough drive and plenty mids with the Archer's volume wound up to 3 o clock and gain around 9 o clock but I don't get enough gain with the single coils of the Tele.

I do get plenty enough mids though. Are you playing through Voice 2 on your V40 as that has more mids, plus there is the mid-kick switch (admittedly that seems to add low mids so I don't use it)?

I find with the Archer than more mids are added as the gain is turned up on the pedal, can get quite honky if too much.

I have been contemplating an extra drive with a bit more gain though for the Tele as as I don't like too much gain from the Archer as it's too compressed and mushes out a bit for me.

I was thinking about a Thorpy Gunshot, which by the look of it is bit like a Fulltone Plimsoul with 2 unique drives that can be blended, or a Plimsoul itself, or due to the latest Pedal Show, a Kingsley Harlot. I have also considered a Fulltone OCD but think that may have a bit of a scooped sound.

The thing I want in a drive is that fast transient attack and not much compression, which is why I like the Archer.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Sporky said:

I bet if they took the same circuit, painted the case red and relabelled it as the "PFB-2 Parametric Fuzz-Boost" it'd sell by the bucketload!
    I went into a guitar shop after a fuzz pedal for that Summer Breeze/Never Met A Girl Like You Before sound and came out with a Metal Zone - I agree !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jimbro66 said:

For a Matt Schofield sound I assume you have already considered (and discounted?) the obvious choice of a VOS?

BTW I use and Ethos with a Tele and it sounds good but the Ethos is more flexible that most D*mble-type pedals. That's what you pay for.

Ok, cheers for the info on the Ethos Does your tele have high output pickups?
    My strat pickups are vintage voices. Kliens s7-s, lovely pickups but pretty low output.
    edited August 2016
    I have a V40, used to have Strat but now have a Historic R8 Les Paul and a AV52 Tele, I use a J Rockett Archer for drive. It's a Klone same as the Tumnus and with the Les Paul it gives enough drive with the Archer's volume wound up to 3 o clock and gain around 9 o clock but I don't get enough gain with the single could of the Tele.

I do get plenty enough mids though. Are you playing through Voice 2 on your V40 as that has more mids, plus there is the mid-kick switch (admittedly that seems to add low mids so I don't use it)?

I find with the Archer than more mids are added as the gain is turned up on the pedal, can get quite honky if too much.

I have been contemplating an extra drive with a bit more gain though for the Tele as as I don't like too much gain from the Archer as it's too compressed and mushes out a bit for me.

I was thinking about a Thorpy Gunshot, which by the look of it is bit like a Fulltone Plimsoul with 2 unique drives that can be blended, or a Plimsoul itself, or due to the latest Pedal Show, a Kingsley Harlot. I have also considered a Fulltone OCD but think that may have a bit of a scooped sound.

Nah I'm using voice 1, not got the mid kick on either.   
    Reason is I'm using voice 1 to keep the amp clean, because I put my delay in through the front of the amp. Can't be arsed with the FX loop!  Also I've been using the Tumnus as a boost pedal.  Might try using this as the primary pedal with the strat.

So my thinking is keep the amp clean and scooped and switch in the mids from a pedal.

I play lead so mostly single note stuff btw.

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    AndyJP said:
    Jimbro66 said:

For a Matt Schofield sound I assume you have already considered (and discounted?) the obvious choice of a SOV?

BTW I use and Ethos with a Tele and it sounds good but the Ethos is more flexible that most D*mble-type pedals. That's what you pay for.

My strat pickups are vintage voices. Kliens s7-s, lovely pickups but pretty low output.
    At present I am using a Wapping Wharf bridge and JBE neck (lovely pickups). They sound fine through the Ethos, WW tapped and untapped, but of course the Ethos controls setup is different from when I am using a full humbucker guitar like my ES-335.

If you are not getting the sound you want using using the excellent Tumnus and Dude it possibly is the lowish output of your S-7s that needs a bit of help. Either a GE7 or a fat boost pedal in front of your overdrives, or maybe a SD Pickup Booster/buffer, might be all you need. I've sometimes used a Toadworks Meat Jnr to achieve that. Why not take your Strat and your two O/Ds to a store where they are happy to let you try a GE7 and some boost pedals up front to see what you think? And while you're there perhaps try a Peacekeeper if they have one ;)

Here is a vid that shows pretty well how a Tele into an Ethos can sound. Skip everything before 8.25, which is mainly chat. They are hot rails in that Tele but an eq'd boost after your S-7s could sound similar.

AndyJP said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    I meant Feel the Tone SOV of course :D

No. It struck me as a bit expensive compared to similar competition but if it gives you what you want........   It's clearly heard in several Matt Schofield You Tube vids and It sounds great -  of course :)
    Jimbro66 said:
    AndyJP said:
    Jimbro66 said:

For a Matt Schofield sound I assume you have already considered (and discounted?) the obvious choice of a SOV?

At present I am using a Wapping Wharf bridge and JBE neck (lovely pickups). They sound fine through the Ethos, WW tapped and untapped, but of course the Ethos controls setup is different from when I am using a full humbucker guitar like my ES-335.

If you are not getting the sound you want using using the excellent Tumnus and Dude it possibly is the lowish output of your S-7s that needs a bit of help. Either a GE7 or a fat boost pedal in front of your overdrives, or maybe a SD Pickup Booster/buffer, might be all you need. I've sometimes used a Toadworks Meat Jnr to achieve that. Why not take your Strat and your two O/Ds to a store where they are happy to let you try a GE7 and some boost pedals up front to see what you think? And while you're there perhaps try a Peacekeeper if they have one ;)

Here is a vid that shows pretty well how a Tele into an Ethos can sound. Skip everything before 8.25, which is mainly chat. They are hot rails in that Tele but an eq'd boost after your S-7s could sound similar.

AndyJP said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    I meant Feel the Tone SOV of course :D

No. It struck me as a bit expensive compared to similar competition but if it gives you what you want........   It's clearly heard in several Matt Schofield You Tube vids and It sounds great -  of course :)
    Now that's the type of tone I'd like right there.  Great playing, love it!  Just that touch of break up, the mids and sounds like you are getting some compression?
  • Sporky said:

.........hits eBay..........
    phones Mason Vertex.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • +1 on the metal zone. I bought it because of the wiiiiiide range of tones. Grew bored with it eventually, but removed it after a few mods - got rid of those wasps and reduced the distortion - gave me the horn again.
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    I love my firesound v3 overdrive, it has a mid control inside.
    edited August 2016
    Hi all,

I think I'm going to try out the suggestion from @Jimbro66.  Will take my guitar and drives to a local store and try out a GE7 and maybe a Micro Amp.

The thinking is my drives are fine but need to make up for the lower output pickups with some sort of boost before the drives.
    It'll be interesting to hear how you get on.
    edited August 2016
    @Jimbro66 I made a visit to guitarguitar today. Took my pedal board and strat.

They have a decent range of pedals and got to try them with my pedalboard wth a princeton reverb.

got to try:

boss ge-7
    providence final boost
    xotic EP boost
    fat boost not sure of brand

I tried them one at a time into jrockett the dude, dude into tumnus.
    the ge-7 was brilliant but Christ it was noisy!

I went for the EP booster. Love it. It really fattens up the strat. It's a great rhythmn sound. So now adding in the dude or tumnus for leads. It seems to add more mids and helps the amp compress a bit.
    /\/\ Great. Particularly that you are now getting a good sound without ditching the Tumnus and Dude, both of which I really rate. Yeah, the GE-7 can be noisy. EP Booster a good choice. Glad it worked out for you.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    The unmodded GE-7 works best (IMO) with a noisegate after it.

The MT-2 is a very very underrated pedal. The trick is to not whack the gain right up, I rarely have mine past 1/2-2/3rds of maximum at the highest setting.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• AndyJP said:

They have a decent range of pedals and got to try them with my pedalboard wth a princeton reverb.

got to try:

boss ge-7
    providence final boost
    xotic EP boost

I went for the EP booster. Love it. It really fattens up the strat. It's a great rhythmn sound. So now adding in the dude or tumnus for leads. It seems to add more mids and helps the amp compress a bit.

Yup, ge-7s can be noisy. 

It's worth trying a few - they vary in noise quite significantly, though I only discovered this fairly recently! If you do get a noisy one it's easily modded, but I really wish Boss would sort it because it's easily one of the most useful pedals you can get... 

Glad you worked it all out though! 
  • AndyJP said:

got to try:

boss ge-7
    providence final boost
    xotic EP boost

Glad you got sorted. It's always great when you try a couple of things to compare and contrast.