What car do you drive and would you recommend it?

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5681
Just a bit of fun, not meant to be a divisive thread, just a bit bored.

I've had good experiences and bad experiences with cars over the years and I do enjoy my car, whatever it is.

Currently I'm driving a Phase 1 Volvo V70 TDi Auto.  Would I recommend it?  Totally, one of the best cars I think I've ever owned.  Had it for almost four years now, paid £1400 for it blind off eBay in October 2012.  Travelled to Peterborough on the train to collect it without ever having seen it.  Mad I know, but it's been a really good car.

I have a nasty habit of buying cars and by the time I come to sell them on it's always a better car than I bought, so I've decided to keep this one for a while.  

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12412
    My current car is the best I've ever owned, a Jaguar XF 3 litre diesel. Smooth as silk and dead easy to drive but has plenty of poke when you want it. Lots of toys on it too. I've had 60mpg out of it on a long slow drive up to the Lake District but normally I get around 55 on a decent run. 

I've had some shockers in my time, but then I've been driving for 40 odd years. The worst have been a Renault 14 and an Austin Maxi.

Had a couple of decent/fun ones in the past too. Early 80s Audi 100, Rover P6 V8 and a Mk1 MG Midget. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Still on my first car - 2005 (54 plate) Honda Civic 1.6 VTEC.

I would definitely recommend it. Nippy enough, economical, reliable, well made and has acres of space inside. I like it a lot.

I do wish it had a six-speed gearbox though, just so it doesn't scream itself half to death on the motorway. And the air conditioning is borked, which is extremely trying in the current temperature conditions.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7928
    Ford Mondeo Titanium X estate. 
    Nope, wouldn't recommend it.  It would have been nice of them to finish it before sending it to me.  To many things have broken, too many faults. 
    Drives well though....when it works....
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9733
    edited August 2016
    Toyota Yaris 1.33 here. Not particularly inspiring, but very well engineered, and utterly utterly reliable. Will happily sit on the motorway all day doing 80. Actually our third Toyota, and the only one bought new. Nothing has ever broken on any of them - not even a light-bulb. (Just) big enough to throw an Orange 60W combo and a couple of guitars in the boot.

Would definitely recommend if you just need transport. If you're a car enthusiast then look elsewhere. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27181
    Golf mk7. 1.4 turbo with the DSG gearbox. Had it 3 years this week and it's still great. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4651
    Honda Civic 1.6 Diesel. On our third one great car plenty of space. But the current does seem to have a few glitches, DPF warning at only 4000 miles and the Engine warning light just. came on at 5400, Same driving as we did with the other two.
    Second car MGTF 160. As simple as you get fairly quick and coat peanuts to buy
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3058
    Fiat 500 Convertible, our second, first kept 3 years, this one just turned 3 years, totally reliable,  50mpg and a bit o fun.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Toymota Rav 4, 2l petrol.
    Plenty of go, geared low, so no massive top speed (not that you can really use it on the roads round here). Plenty of space. Comfortable.
    And everything works.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• GassageGassage Frets: 30941
    edited August 2016
    BMW 6 series diesel. I'd totally recommend it. Power, pace, comfort and 40mpg

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4319
    Toyota IQ2.

It's pretty good for town driving. 70+ mpg if you're sensible, free road tax, 30 quid to fill up.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    edited August 2016
    2008 1.8 Zafira. Got it for carrying capacity not for the 7 seats. It's OK but pretty thirsty.

I think my best car was my Focus. It was so reliable. Passed 5 MOTs with no servicing at 14 years old.

(Can probably tell I'm not a Car Person)
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Mercedes C350e, the plug in petrol hybrid. It's nice, let's face it it's very nice, and probably one of the best in its sector for all-round ability - comfort, grunt, good storage etc. I'm the one who's in it most of the time though, so all things being equal I would probably have chosen a more comfy car as the toys I could get on this (company car so low tax at the moment) fade into the background and aren't really that important to me - comfort opening, ace stereo, electric seats, panoramic roof etc. For comfort I would probably have gone for the Lexus IS300h, and for driving pleasure I would have gone for a Jaguar XE if all the reports are accurate (didn't test one).
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
    edited August 2016
    Bucket said:
    Still on my first car - 2005 (54 plate) Honda Civic 1.6 VTEC.

I would definitely recommend it. Nippy enough, economical, reliable, well made and has acres of space inside. I like it a lot.

I do wish it had a six-speed gearbox though, just so it doesn't scream itself half to death on the motorway. And the air conditioning is borked, which is extremely trying in the current temperature conditions.
    Mines two years older, but other than that I agree entirely.

Its the car equivalent of a Yamaha Pacifica- does exactly what it's supposed to, with zero fuss. It probably won't set many pulses racing but is utterly reliable. (Not that I do many miles- I've done 15000 miles since I got it 5 years ago. The car has only done 68k). 
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    BMW 430i M Sport.  Would definitely recommend it.  Fantastic car (and the indicators work before anyone mentions it ;))
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
    edited August 2016
    siremoon said:
    BMW 430i M Sport.  Would definitely recommend it.  Fantastic car (and the indicators work before anyone mentions it )
    Of course they do, the problem is always located in the chair-steering wheel interface  ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 2016 VW Golf with the 1.4 TSi engine and 6-speed manual gearbox. Lovely to drive, quick enough when needed yet economical when pottering about town. Quiet at speed. Takes all my gigging gear in the back, including a small PA. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5681
    HAL9000 said:
    Toyota Yaris 1.33 here. Not particularly inspiring, but very well engineered, and utterly utterly reliable. Will happily sit on the motorway all day doing 80. Actually our third Toyota, and the only one bought new. Nothing has ever broken on any of them - not even a light-bulb. (Just) big enough to throw an Orange 60W combo and a couple of guitars in the boot.

Would definitely recommend if you just need transport. If you're a car enthusiast then look elsewhere. 
    I've had a couple of Toyotas in the past and agree they are really good cars. Even the one which was renowned for breaking down never did!

The first was a MKIII Supra Turbo with 160k miles on the clock. They were meant to have problems with head gaskets and gearboxes but mine was incredible. Comfortable, incredibly quick and just a joy to drive. 

A few years later I bought a cheap Carina E auto. Not exciting at all but incredibly well engineered and utterly reliable.

That one had to go simply because it's MPG was poor. It was a 1.8 litre but with the auto box I got less out of it than the old 3 litre turbo straight six that was in the Supra!

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Currently, as a family we have a 61 plate Corsa and a 55 plate Zafira.  

I know Vauxhall have a dreadful reputation with people on here but both cars have been truly excellent.  We've had both from new and they've never let us down.  The Zafira is an excellent 'van', too - I dan get my entire DJ rig in it, with room to spare. 

Best car I've owned was a 1990 Honda Prelude 2.2vtec. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72560
    Renault Grand Scenic (1.6 petrol). Yes, I would highly recommend it - it's the best-designed, most economical, most reliable and cheapest to own car I've ever had. Incredibly versatile - it can be an estate car with a huge boot, a seven-seater, or a small van, with a couple of minutes moving the seats - it's comfortable and spacious, drives and handles very nicely and is easy to park due to having excellent visibility, a good turning circle and short overhangs.

Other people have less positive experiences of this model regarding reliability though, I have to say...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5681
    My sister once owned a Renault.............. ;)