What car do you drive and would you recommend it?

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12406
    Nissan Leaf  (electric car)

Would I recommend it?  NO.  But I have to qualify that.

For me the car has been perfect over the last 18 months.  Given the government grants, low cost/free fuel, no tax, no mot, free parking in town etc it has been very cheap for a new car (it's on a PCP deal).  However it is a second car and I only use it for local commuting, running the kids about, doing the shopping etc.  It's very comfy, easy to drive, great tech in it, fun accelleration and a whole host of other good things.  The whole 'eco' thing has been a pretty unimportant side issue as far as I'm concerned. i can fit all my gig kit in it but without too much room to spare. Overall it has been very good for ME and my pretty limited set of driving requirements.

However I think the 'golden' age of the early adopter investment into incentivising electric cars is over. The free electric recharges are now disapparing (which was inevitable). So when my PCP deal runs out next year, I'll be returning it and having a jolly good think about my driving needs moving forward (which have changed a bit now my kids are 2 years older).
    Interesting. Is the "no MOT" thing because it's new or is there just no requirement for one? I like the idea of electric cars but until they solve the problem of the limited range it just wouldn't suit me. I'd be petrified of the batteries going flat miles away from any method of recharging. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7828
    2003 Corsa, nearly 140,000 miles on the clock, a bit ragged inside and dented in places.

Apart from occasional clutch judder when pulling away and a tendency to suddenly use up all its oil (you can check it and check it and it'll be fine, then suddenly no oil) and an oil pressure sensor that only lights up when the sensor needs replacing (twice so far), it keeps trundling on and doesn't cost too much each MOT.

Not sure I'd recommend it, but it's not been too bad to own.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    edited August 2016
    welshboyo said:
    2013 Merc C250 CDI Estate AMG Sport Plus.
    Drove to south of France in it this year - did a constant 130KPH for nearly 7 hours non-stop and used just over 1/4 tank of fuel to do it!! 
    Hang on, you did 500+ miles on a quarter of a tank? Are you sure? :o  With a 66 litre tank thats... wait...

138 miles per gallon.

I'm just jealous because I want to drive to the south of France now. =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2611
    I have close to zero interest in cars and drive very little.  Top priorities for me are low noise, reasonable sound system, comfortable ride.  Couldn't be less interested in performance.

Current car is an Audi Q3, which I rather like, but no sensible person would be interested in my opinions about cars.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I can beat you all on the coolness stakes :D mines a 99 1.3 Ford fiesta :) as basic as motoring gets, however it's luxury to me as I have been a daily biker for 15 years so having a windscreen and a heater is a true luxury, saying that I bought the fiesta from a old man who was moving into a oap home, it's done  30k in its  16 years,  full service history and looks like  a new car for £500 quid I can't complain. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4226
    edited August 2016
    joneve said:
    impmann said:
    Golf Mk4 TDi - yep, would totally recommend.

I've been slogging a 60mile commute *each way* since February and its been superb. I've done 14,000miles since buying this car in March - commute plus business trips, pleasure trips, running around etc - and its been faultless.
    I hired a golf for a day 3 or 4 years ago to drive up to North Yorkshire (from Gloucester) and it was REALLY nice. 
    I hire something most times i'm in the UK. Every time lately it's been an Astra GTD or CDI or some other sporty diesel Vauxhall coupe thing and every time it's been signficantly less nice to drive than my Golf. Presumably the rental guys get big discounts on them in bulk because I can't comprehend why you'd choose one over a Golf or Focus at the retail price.
    It's a common practice for the mainstream manufacturers (Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot/Citroen etc.) to over-produce cars and 'launder' them by selling them to hire fleets at a considerable discount.  After a set time, usually around nine months, they buy them back at a guaranteed price and sell them to us, the great unwashed, as 'approved used'.  Just in case you were ever in the UK car shopping and were wondering who all these people are who sell their cars after less than a year

If you ever see 'ERAC Holdings' as the previous owner on a reg document, that'll be Enterprise Rent-a-Car.  The rest of 'em also use similar obscure pseudonyms.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4226
    edited August 2016
    And to drag the thread back on topic from my own waffly meanderings, I've stuck with Uncle Henry's finest for a while now.  Currently on a seemingly indestructible (*crosses fingers*) mk. II Focus.  Yes I would recommend them.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    Cirrus said:
    welshboyo said:
    Drove to south of France in it this year - did a constant 130KPH for nearly 7 hours non-stop and used just over 1/4 tank of fuel to do it!! 
    Hang on, you did 500+ miles on a quarter of a tank? Are you sure? :o  With a 66 litre tank thats... wait...

138 miles per gallon.

OK, 1/4 being an exaggeration....definitely not half a tank, needle half nearly halfway between 3/4 to 1/2 and about 350 miles ish...at 82 mph, with a full boot of luggage and 4 people...
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    welshboyo said:
    Cirrus said:
    welshboyo said:

138 miles per gallon.

OK, 1/4 being an exaggeration....definitely not half a tank, needle half nearly halfway between 3/4 to 1/2 and about 350 miles ish...at 82 mph, with a full boot of luggage and 4 people...
    I can attest that the Merc CDI engines are frugal as fuck. I drove my bosses old one for a few weeks before he had to hand it back when he changed his car a few years ago...Ridiculous. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27173
    welshboyo said:
    Cirrus said:
    welshboyo said:

138 miles per gallon.

Of course if it's anything like my Golf the top "half" of the tank is twice the size as the bottom "half"...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    joneve said:
    welshboyo said:
    Cirrus said:
    welshboyo said:

138 miles per gallon.

I can attest that the Merc CDI engines are frugal as fuck. I drove my bosses old one for a few weeks before he had to hand it back when he changed his car a few years ago...Ridiculous. 
    This one has been remapped too, so pushing out close to 250bhp and 650Nm of torque!! and still returning high 50's on a run..

Mental..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 ecoflex Elite. Yes its been great , it has more toys than Hamleys and is very comfortable.
    60k miles in 2 years with no issues and it does around 55mpg.
  • boogieman said:
    Nissan Leaf  (electric car)

Would I recommend it?  NO.  But I have to qualify that.

For me the car has been perfect over the last 18 months.  Given the government grants, low cost/free fuel, no tax, no mot, free parking in town etc it has been very cheap for a new car (it's on a PCP deal).  However it is a second car and I only use it for local commuting, running the kids about, doing the shopping etc.  It's very comfy, easy to drive, great tech in it, fun accelleration and a whole host of other good things.  The whole 'eco' thing has been a pretty unimportant side issue as far as I'm concerned. i can fit all my gig kit in it but without too much room to spare. Overall it has been very good for ME and my pretty limited set of driving requirements.

However I think the 'golden' age of the early adopter investment into incentivising electric cars is over. The free electric recharges are now disapparing (which was inevitable). So when my PCP deal runs out next year, I'll be returning it and having a jolly good think about my driving needs moving forward (which have changed a bit now my kids are 2 years older).
    Interesting. Is the "no MOT" thing because it's new or is there just no requirement for one? I like the idea of electric cars but until they solve the problem of the limited range it just wouldn't suit me. I'd be petrified of the batteries going flat miles away from any method of recharging. 
    The MOT is just because it's new. 

The range should become less and less of an issue. The current Nissan Leaf now has a range of nearly double that of mine, and mine is only 18months old.  If it keeps increasing at that rate, it'll soon be a none issue IMO.

I'm not saying I wouldn't consider getting another Leaf (or electric car) as I've really enjoyed having it.  It's just that you really need to put some serious thought in to your likely future needs and take an educated guess as to how the tech and likely business models of the various stakes holders will evolve.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4649
    edited August 2016
    One car I would recommend that  I used to have is a Mini Cooper. Mine was a soft top. Very nippy, handles well but on a motor way feels like a much bigger car.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28650
    I have a Mondeo Titanium estate, 2-litre diesel with a powersuck automagic gearbox.

I would not recommend it. Pulls to the left (denied by the dealer), turned up with a horrible whirring/buzzing noise behind the dash (missed at PDI and by the delivery driver), USB audio sorts every track alphabetically, and the most torturously uncomfortable seats I've ever encountered. The headrests are far too far forwards, so either my shoulders and neck ache after any journey over five minutes, or (the dealer's suggestion) you tilt the seat way back so the headrest isn't pushing your head forwards but your shoulders are unsupported and your back aches after about five minutes.

Horrible piece of crap.

Before that I had two 1.6 diesel hire cars; an Octavia and a Passat. Both were boring but excellent - they did everything properly. Before that, two Skoda Yetis, which were the best cars I've ever had. Practical, quickish, fun and they really upset a certain sort of miserable middle-aged grump. :)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Sporky said:
    I have a Mondeo Titanium estate, 2-litre diesel with a powersuck automagic gearbox.

I would not recommend it. Pulls to the left (denied by the dealer), turned up with a horrible whirring/buzzing noise behind the dash (missed at PDI and by the delivery driver), USB audio sorts every track alphabetically, and the most torturously uncomfortable seats I've ever encountered. The headrests are far too far forwards, so either my shoulders and neck ache after any journey over five minutes, or (the dealer's suggestion) you tilt the seat way back so the headrest isn't pushing your head forwards but your shoulders are unsupported and your back aches after about five minutes.

Horrible piece of crap.

Before that I had two 1.6 diesel hire cars; an Octavia and a Passat. Both were boring but excellent - they did everything properly. Before that, two Skoda Yetis, which were the best cars I've ever had. Practical, quickish, fun and they really upset a certain sort of miserable middle-aged grump. :)
    Blimey, wasn't expecting that! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If they fixed the seats it would be adequate; the rest - even the pulling to the left - is relatively minor.

But I don't like being in pain. It hurts.

Also I don't know if I've ever mentioned, but the Yeti really was a fantastic car.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8750
    My father was branch manager for a chain of garages. Most nights he came home with what was available on the forecourt. Sometimes it was a top of the range demonstrator, once it was the tow truck. We grew up with zero interest in the bells, whistles and branding which underlie most new car buying decisions. So it's interesting to see that most people here have chosen vehicles which suit their needs, and are generally happy with what they've got. 

Me, I drive a 2.0 diesel estate, which can hold the pa, lights, and my own equipment, and still sit happily at speed on the motorway. They best bits are the head up display, heated and cooled seats, self opening and closing tailgate, and that the dealer collects it and cleans it whenever it needs servicing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8750

Sporky said:

Since a company car is designated part of the workplace, eg when it comes to smoking, this should be addressable under workplace health and safety legislation. Can you not file a safety report, just as you would do if your office chair did not meet H&S guidance, or your desk required you to turn left to operate the keyboard?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:

Since a company car is designated part of the workplace, eg when it comes to smoking, this should be addressable under workplace health and safety legislation. Can you not file a safety report, just as you would do if your office chair did not meet H&S guidance, or your desk required you to turn left to operate the keyboard?
    Originally I tried to get the dealer to sort it; they say it's normal. Then I tried the fleet company, they said it's up to the dealer. Then I tried our accounts department (who organise the cars), and they said that the fleet company said it's up to the dealer.

Then my boss got involved, and his view is that the company needs to provide adequate tools for people to do the job, and a car that can't be made comfortable is not an adequate tool. He is happy with his (same model) so next week we will swap cars to see if it is the individual car, or if it's a general thing, and if the former the dealer fixes it and if it's the latter then my boss will go to his boss who is a vice president and Things Will Get Done.

I get the impression that the obligatory company car thing is on thin ice at the moment - they had someone they really, really wanted to hire turn the job down on the basis that he couldn't have his own car which has caused ripples, and another new starter managed to get to keep his own car (I was put in hire cars for the first year and a bit) because it was on a lease. Cracks are forming.

There are lots of other bits of bad design on it - fer instance, the rear window wipers are controlled by a tiny switch on the end of the stalk, which isn't visible from the driver's seat because it's entirely behind the steering wheel rim. Most of those I could live with, but the seats are intolerable. They cannot be adjusted to the Recaro or ROSPA or Uni of Loughborough guidelines. I don't remember ever having a car before that caused me such discomfort on such short journeys.