What car do you drive and would you recommend it?

What's Hot

Comments

• SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    '72 Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV, loads of fun, sounds terrific and hasn't broken down yet, long overdue probably... Daily driver is a 2010 Citroen C-Crosser, basically a rebadged Mitsubishi Oulander. 
    Incredibly practical car, no issues at all, 7 seats when you want them. Only defect is that it's quite spartan, but with 3 kids not a bad thing after all.
    Next car is going to be a Tesla Model 3, got a deposit down just have to wait a couple of years...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Renault Grand Scenic.
    Best driving, comfiest and most practical car I've ever had, just driven to Czech Republic in one trip, a breeze from a driving point of view, 46 mpg or there abouts.
     Electronic handbrake took a bit of getting used to but all good now. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Honda CRV (2011 model)

Only had had it since March but I'm very happy with it. Perfect for the dog & tools with a spacious boot and its nice to be sitting up a little bit higher as well, previous car was a 2003 Ford Fiesta.  It's nice to drive and the steering feels pretty light, the reverse parking camera has come in very handy.  

The sat-nav visuals look pretty dated, but works very well.  I don't mind sitting so much in traffic now as it has a pretty decent stereo, would have been nice if it had DAB radio, but tbh most of the time I play music through the phone anyway.  The heated front seats I could take or leave tbh & a proper sunroof that opened for air would be nice, as it's just got the sunshade that allows more light into the cabin.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I'm in a car club. Mostly drive Renault ZOEs. I love electric cars, it's like a space ship inside with full LCD instrumentation. Last thing I drove was a Toyota Auris hybrid estate for some runs to the tip. It seemed pretty slow to respond to the accelerator even in sport mode, and the auto gearbox seems a bit useless.
    My V key is broken
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    TVR chimaera. Owned new since 1997. Almost killed me in 1998. Since then showed it respect. best car Impreza STI couldn't crash. let down car 911. SHit and unreliable. Best looking car owned for 10 years Mark II Jensen Interceptor 7.2l. 1971 with air con. Breathe on it tho and it would rest.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    If we are talking about fun cars too... 

We we have a 1964 and a 1976 Hillman Imp. Both came to us as freebies because they were destined for scrap. We have restored both and owned them for 12 and 14 years respectively. The '76 is the very last Imp Basic to come off the Linwood production line and it took part in the Imp Club's Budapest trip in 2004, raising £10k for Cancer Research. The 64 has been to all four extremes of the U.K. and they are both part of the family. Would I recommend owning one - well, only if you understand that they are old, unreliable and cantankerous sods, but they are fab fun when they work!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Mk7 Golf 1.6 tdi 110 match. 

Had the car about four months. Would I recommend it? Hmm maybe. It's not a bad car. Loaded with toys and on a long run I can get 69mpg out of it. It's just come back from warranty work (software update).
    I would have liked something with a bit more poke. But its cheap and frugal to run. Lots of space and isn't a bad looking motor.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3052
    Mk4.5 Ford Mondeo Estate Titanium X 2.0 Tdci

Had it since June and I love it. Lots and lots of space for anything really. Very comfortable full leather interior with heating and ventilation for the front seats. Decent amount of power to comfortably cruise or over take without much effort. Looks smart too.

I compared it to my Father in Laws Mercedes CLK220 and I much prefer my Mondeo. I certainly would recommend one.
  • mike_l said:
    Currently a Toyota aygo. It's a bit toy-ish but cheap to run and copes surprisingly well with motorways. It's actually quite fun, small and very agile. 

My previous car was a Ford Puma. Beautiful car - great fun, revvy, agile, loves sliding (when you take it onto a track or air strip, yeah? Don't kill anyone) and is built beautifully. 

Sadly, the wheel arches have begun rusting. Currently looking to sell - probably to we buy any car for 75 quid. :( :(
    Avoid WBAC if at all possible. They have an fixed admin charge (I think it £50) and offer twice the square root of sweet FA for your car, before mentioning the admin. Cuntnuggets.

Yeah... I know. But the car is sorn and I can't imagine I'll be able to sell without test drives. Bah! 

I just want the thing gone really. Perhaps there is a scrap yard nearby. Thanks to a family emergency, I've not had the chance to properly look into it yesterday and they're all shut today and tomorrow. 

If anyone on here fancies a great running, high milage, fairly well looked after but stone chipped and fun car, let me know. Bargain price will be had. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28268
    I got rid of my last car to We Want Any Car - they were very up-front about it and I'd happily use them again. They knocked off a bit for some wheel damage (but less than the repair would have been) and a bit for it needing a clean, but the offer went up between them making it and exchange day.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mike_l said:
    Currently a Toyota aygo. It's a bit toy-ish but cheap to run and copes surprisingly well with motorways. It's actually quite fun, small and very agile. 

My previous car was a Ford Puma. Beautiful car - great fun, revvy, agile, loves sliding (when you take it onto a track or air strip, yeah? Don't kill anyone) and is built beautifully. 

Sadly, the wheel arches have begun rusting. Currently looking to sell - probably to we buy any car for 75 quid. :( :(
    Avoid WBAC if at all possible. They have an fixed admin charge (I think it £50) and offer twice the square root of sweet FA for your car, before mentioning the admin. Cuntnuggets.

Yeah... I know. But the car is sorn and I can't imagine I'll be able to sell without test drives. Bah! 

I just want the thing gone really. Perhaps there is a scrap yard nearby. Thanks to a family emergency, I've not had the chance to properly look into it yesterday and they're all shut today and tomorrow. 

If anyone on here fancies a great running, high milage, fairly well looked after but stone chipped and fun car, let me know. Bargain price will be had. 
    Burtons will collect, but you'd get very little as scrap. The new car scrappage scheme a few years ago has left piles of scrap cars everywhere (not literally). 
    As a guide I got £30 scrap for a Volvo S40.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Mecedes CLS 63 AMG. It´s awesome. (somewhat predictably)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3052
    Evilmags said:
    Mecedes CLS 63 AMG. It´s awesome. (somewhat predictably)
    I love the look of the estate version, a lot more stylish that an average estate. Plus an amazing sound
  • mike_l said:
    mike_l said:

Burtons will collect, but you'd get very little as scrap. The new car scrappage scheme a few years ago has left piles of scrap cars everywhere (not literally). 
    As a guide I got £30 scrap for a Volvo S40.

Bleurgh. 

I may chuck it on auto trader for £150. It's just had an mot and service, so it's in pretty good shape for use. Yonks of service history, too. 

I miss driving the thing. It's a lot of fun. 
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Not something for a teenage male, that´s for sure. Mine used to belong to a Spanish motoGP racer and has a lot of extras. It is violently powerful. 
  • I got me one of them there Hyundai i30 cars. Got it 2 years old with 3 years warranty remaining. Have it serviced annually and apart from that it has cost me NOTHING in repairs.

It's not the most exciting car. Fortunately I am a guitarist and don't need to get my kicks from driving a vehicle from one place to another. :)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • @ThePrettyDamned ;

It's a shame I live the other side of the country to you or I'd have been very tempted by the Puma - future classics for sure. Try a local 'cheap cars' Facebook group etc?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27525
    TTony said:
    welshboyo said:
    joneve said:
    I can attest that the Merc CDI engines are frugal as fuck. I drove my bosses old one for a few weeks before he had to hand it back when he changed his car a few years ago...Ridiculous. 
    This one has been remapped too, so pushing out close to 250bhp and 650Nm of torque!! and still returning high 50's on a run..

I'm another fan of the Merc CDI engines - mines the 350 variant, and is the main reason that I bought the car.

At steady speeds up to 80/85, it does 50mpg.  With 265bhp and more torque than I can count (I wouldn't dare even think about what a remap could achieve), 
    OK, I just looked.

A "standard" remap gives 315bhp and 750nM.  Even in ft lbs, that's still quite a lot.

And - allegedly - still delivers mid 40s mpg.

That would be quite impressive, and recommendable.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5503
    2016 Mazda3 2.2D SE-L Nav.
    I've had it two months now and love it. It's comfy, has a classy simple cockpit, loads of kit and goes like stink! It's lightweight and economical and makes me grin when I drive it.
    Compared to the other options in its price range e.g. 1.6D Audi A3 Sportback, it has more toys and is faster and I made the right decision.
    Improvements? More headroom and a reversing camera would be nice.
  • @ThePrettyDamned ;

It's a shame I live the other side of the country to you or I'd have been very tempted by the Puma - future classics for sure. Try a local 'cheap cars' Facebook group etc?

Indeed, I agree. I'm glad I've owned one. Mine has rust on the rear arches, but not loads - I've cared for it well, though my quick sand/paint job isn't amazing. Functional though and, despite the humidity, it's not crashed back for a few months. 

Just great fun. Well built, too, and a top gear car of the year. How cool is that?