Gilmour's Tonebender on eBay

What's Hot
DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4601
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=291858638876 to be fair the seller does say possibly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I don't know how anyone has the gall to put such bullshit on an ad. 
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I love the relic work on this pedal
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9593
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Genius. Utterly fucked old TB. Doesn't know if it works (so probably doesn't). Might 'of' been owned by 'Dave Gilmore'...

...and the amusing thing is it's at £55 already. It seems the world still has no shortage of gullible idiots.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Someone will add a couple of relic knobs get it working and it'll be resold for £500 with a pic of Dave stomping on it from a great height. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72563
    To be fair, it's worth more than £55 even in that state and ignoring the 'provenance' bullshit.

Maybe £60?

:)

(Actually much more, given the ludicrous price a working one goes for.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2016
    It really isn't. If the transistors are fucked, it's worthless. You'd probably have to replace most of the pedal to get it working again.

We've fixed stuff in a worse state that that from a similar era, believe it or not... If it was given I might have a go at repairing it, I'd certainly not give anyone any money for a fucked up old pedal that probably doesn't work with a completely fabricated provenance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 963
    Listing is updated.

He says it works, I've tested it and it's a distortion pedal.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30945
    Different bloke

That one belonged to Dave Gilmore.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    juansolo said:

It really isn't. If the transistors are fucked, it's worthless. You'd probably have to replace most of the pedal to get it working again.
    The casing alone is still worth plenty. You could put a reissue circuit in it if you had to and someone will still pay for that.

It's worth even more if you've got another original that someone has "customised" the casing of.

Not saying I would pay much myself, but the market for these things is so silly that someone will.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3052
    juansolo said:

We've fixed stuff in a worse state that that from a similar era, believe it or not... If it was given I might have a go at repairing it, I'd certainly not give anyone any money for a fucked up old pedal that probably doesn't work with a completely fabricated provenance.
    These things are worth whatever someone will pay.

Relevant example - I just sold an original TS-808 for £600, which I could replace with something I built myself but I replaced it with one of your (@juansolo's) mini-clones for £25. Result! :)

R.
    You make a fair point. I didn't really consider the madness of people. But you're absolutely right. As long as there are people out there who'll pay hundreds of pounds for knackered old tat, you may as well flog it and spend it on something that's actually usable ;)
    juansolo said:

You make a fair point. I didn't really consider the madness of people. But you're absolutely right. As long as there are people out there who'll pay hundreds of pounds for knackered old tat, you may as well flog it and spend it on something that's actually usable ;)
    The guitarist in my band had a Mk 1.5 Tonebender - which was fully working and original, although not in perfect condition - and he sold it for so much that he used the proceeds to buy a Soldano SLO.

If I remember correctly there are less than dozen components in the pedal circuit…it sounded great, but - really? Worth as much as a very expensive 100W valve amp?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Playing devil's advocate with myself, the old argument comes back that people pay 10's of thousands for watches, 100's of thousands on cars. So who am I to say what something is worth...?

I should really have restrained myself on this one I feel... I really try... But that thing really does look like shit ;)
    It does, although I think it would clean up a bit at least.

I wouldn't pay for it myself, but...

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand" - Homer Simpson

:)

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4601
    I do love a tonebender, but it would be nice to think it would work if i buy it.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited August 2016
    I've seen World War 1 memorabilia in better condition than that thing.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2016
    Here you go, this was probably in as bad a state as anything we've been given to repair:

http://juansolo.co.uk/stompage/images/cbwah-before.jpg

Submerged in salt water, hurricanes are a bitch.

Needed a fair old clean up. Had to replace the pair of paper caps that were obviously fucked. A couple of others were leaking so they got swapped also. The pot was gone, no repairing that. All the wiring and the jacks too. The switch was very nice indeed, that could be fully disassembled, cleaned and re-assembled. Thankfully the inductor was sealed in resin so that survived.

All in all, not bad in the end.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I've also had another look at the pics of that one for sale.

One of the pots is almost certainly fucked (back of it is missing), and likely the jacks want swapping given that they're rusted to fuck.

There are some suspiciously modern looking caps on that board...

I can't actually see the transistors at all, if you're gonna take a chance you at least want to see 3 Mullards in there. It's the only reason it'd be worth a punt.

I personally wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1026
    edited August 2016
    I didn't realise Gilmour played a tone bender. I thought he was known for fuzz faces...