Gilmour's Tonebender on eBay

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Why can't I find one of those in my shed? 

That thing's clearly transcended any sort of usefulness it might ever have had as an effects pedal and become purely a collectable antique. Not even TGP buys Ge fuzz pedals with NOS mojo bits for £500.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72545
    It's the same with any collectable original thing where you can buy a perfectly good functional reproduction for a fraction of the price. How much is a beaten-up '59 Les Paul Standard with no original hardware or electrics 'worth' - fifty grand maybe? Or only twenty five? I have no idea - but whatever it is is likely to be a lot more than a Historic.

So this pedal is worth several hundred pounds purely because the casing makes it an original Tonebender. You could fully restore it with a repro board, NOS transistors, new pots/jacks/switch/battery snap and still come in at well under half the price of one in good original condition.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I could understand it, well just about, if the case had been in a half decent condition but that thing was an absolute wreck.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    I'm not shocked by the price at all. I would've been more surprised if it hadn't fetched atleast £400. It's naff all to do with performance. The collectability of old fuzzies is pretty mental.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    For a similar amount of cash I'd rather get a D*A*M fuzz that works, is very well made, sounds great and is probably collectable (if that's your bag).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72545
    I'd rather have a Boss FZ-2 and about £370 :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4601
    @icbm there was a FZ-2 that went for £50 on facebook the other day .. fantastic price