Gilmour's Tonebender on eBay

What's Hot

Comments

• guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1028
    And you have been found guilty by the elders of the town of misspelling the name of our Lord, and so, as a blasphemer,...
    “Ken sent me.”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5163
    I didn't realise Gilmour played a tone bender. I thought he was know for fuzz faces...
    Yep. or Big Muffs. There's no saying he didn't have a Tonebender at some point too, but the "might have belonged to  a bloke called Dave" provenance is so weak as to count for nothing.

Considering any old 1960s Tonebender MkII (there aren't that many) is worth a small fortune it's hardly worth mentioning a celebrity connection unless you've got ironclad proof that you're not talking complete shit.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    juansolo said:
    I've also had another look at the pics of that one for sale.

One of the pots is almost certainly fucked (back of it is missing), and likely the jacks want swapping given that they're rusted to fuck.

There are some suspiciously modern looking caps on that board...

I can't actually see the transistors at all, if you're gonna take a chance you at least want to see 3 Mullards in there. It's the only reason it'd be worth a punt.

I personally wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole.
    This.

Plus the battery snap is modern one and the circuit board looks like vero/stripboard to me (is that right for an early TB?).

The pots look like they are actually mismatched - one looks like a Lorlin/UK one and the other looks like a CTS-style can back.

It looks a bit suspect to me.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72562
    The pot back isn't missing, it's a switched pot. Still not original - in fact I'm not certain much of it is inside.

Doesn't really matter - the most value is in the casing, because that's what makes it an "original MkII Tonebender". Even the transistors are secondary.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2930
    tFB Trader
    Easy to tell if it's DG, open it up and listen for echo repeats ;)
  • That doesn't look like a mk11 build at all to me.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited August 2016
    impmann said:

Plus the battery snap is modern one and the circuit board looks like vero/stripboard to me (is that right for an early TB?).

I think most of them were on vero back in the day... Could be wrong on that though. It'd either be that or single sided etched.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4601
    Is there a way of linking this thread to his ebay listing. Im sure that'll help
    £84 with 3 days to go
  • MrTMrT Frets: 21
    So if I've got a Vox Mk 3 Tonebender sitting on my floor that might also have been played by Dave (I've no idea - I bought it from a kid 25 years when I was at school) then should I be sticking it on eBay to raise some more gear funds? Is the market in complete madness or is there an accepted price that might expect to reach? I've tried looking before but they seem to come up so rarely.

That said, I don't know I'd sell - there's something about the smell of the insides of this and my electric mistress that seems to take me to a happy place! 
  • MrTMrT Frets: 21
    Taking things a little off topic there are a couple of MkIII Tonebenders on Reverb at what seem like silly prices to me!

https://reverb.com/uk/item/2547621-1976-vox-tone-bender-mark-iii-by-colorsound-rare-2nd-generation-vox-mk-iii-tone-bender-fuzz

https://reverb.com/uk/item/2547401-1969-vox-tone-bender-mark-iii-very-rare-mk-iii-tone-bender-in-near-mint-condition

Is this really what these are selling for? Or is this another example of stupid pricing trying to test the market? 

I very much doubt they're worth that. If a very rare Mk 1.5 Sola Sound is worth around £1500 (which in itself is crazy) then there's no reason these more common later ones should be anything like that.

A chap I know did just sell a 'Hit It' Mk 3 for £500 though. Still nuts...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited September 2016
    Currently £176 with 19hours to go
    I'd guess it will go for somewhere between £250 and £500, depending on whether anyone thinks there are any original parts inside, or if they believe the Gilmour story.

It would be ironic if it was true and has been modded by Pete Cornish though...

:)

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    £449.98!!!!!!
    Fuck me *shakes head*
  • glynesglynes Frets: 131
    This was a pretty funny thread. Lots of quality responses, thanks all.
    Told you :).

I'm not saying it's not silly though.

I am genuinely gobsmacked.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    The phrase 'more money than sense' springs to mind.