Were you ever a good runner?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
I'm overweight now I'm in my 50s, but back in my youth I was a reasonable runner with a fun runners club. Absolutely loved it back then, and it seemed easy (certainly doesn't now!)

I used to cover 10 miles in less than an hour (best time 57.34)
5K best time 17.30ish
Half marathon I hated, so I didn't do many. Best around 1h 20m

I was running 45 miles a week back then, out in all weather. Skinny as a whippet which helped.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I never ran when I was young, so sort of hit my peak when I was 45-ish a couple of years ago. That was a 1:40 HM and a 20:30 5k. That was from 30-ish miles a week, I was only 11 stone though (5'9") so not that skinny.

I'm just getting back into it but I'm in running sandals now so don't expect to be setting any new PBs.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    No.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4633
    I was more of a sprinter. Personal best in 100m 11:45
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    I was alright. I ran for the county but never got to national level. 

At 14 I was a sub 52 second 400m runner. By 15 I'd gone sub 51 seconds but I got sick of it and gave up shortly after. I really regret it now. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    In year 5, primary school, I won the 100m sprint in the Tamworth small schools competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    I started running when o was about 23. I hated it - with a passion. But it was free!

now I absolutely love it. Couldn't be without it but safe to say I am not and never will be good. I did well at the beginning of the year to get under 2 hours for a half marathon and a 50 minute 10k time (was a pretty hilly course as well Tbf) and I was honestly super proud. But I've accepted I'll never get any better than that. I'm not built for running at all but I still enjoy it.  

Suoer jealous of the achievements above
    How very rock and roll
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited August 2016 tFB Trader
    I was so shit at running and sports that for the last two years of high school, On sports day, I set up the P.A. and did all the announcing!! 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    I always thought I didn't have the build to be a runner (tall but stocky, large muscle mass) but when I started to knock out the miles on the treadmill I soon got up to 10k non-stop.

However, that was a few years ago now, I'd probably come close to death if I ventured out now.
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    edited August 2016
    I was ok as a teenager although not good enough the call myself an athlete.  My brother was really good.  He was a GB junior 400m runner. I was nowhere near that level but quicker than most regular people.
    I've got back into it lately and have a raft of unrealistic, middle aged goals to achieve, as soon as I've fixed all the bits of me that don't work properly.
  • I did 110m hurdles up to county level in school (primarily because of good hurdling technique rather than all-out speed). I was OK at 100m sprint but the bigger more muscled lads could beat me. Any distance longer than that can suck it!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    No. 
    I took up jogging/ running about ten years ago and got up to doing charity runs of 5 miles. I stopped for a bit and when I started again found there was no residual energy or muscle or technique from having done it before and quickly gave up. I've occasionally retried but it's just bloody hard. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Always been slow and unfit.
    My V key is broken
  • I used to do 400 and 800 metres at school county level. Now I can barely get up the stairs.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    I was extremely fast for the first 50 or 60 yards so I thought I could run, but I had no stamina so as soon as I got to 'proper' school races I suddenly found out I wasn't very good at real sports. Even at 100m I got passed easily after halfway. I once tried 400m - because one of the teachers thought my problem was lack of outright top speed, I should therefore be a middle distance runner - he couldn't have been more wrong, it nearly killed me… and I hated long-distance running more than anything else I was made to do at school.

The funny thing is that I'm *still* pretty fast for 50 or 60 yards.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BowksBowks Frets: 414
    Yes
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I held the under 18s 100 metre record for Herts ... sod marathons. Get it all over with in under 10 seconds ... ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    I won the Greater Manchester Schools competition three years on the run for 400m and 110m hurdles. I was also a decent enough distance runner and jumper (1.85m in high jump and 6.40m in long jump) that I was able to hold my own in the decathlon. Weedy arms and no nearby training facilities let me down when scoring in the throwing and technical events and I pretty much gave up athletics as soon as I left school.

I am still very active but don't really enjoy running so I do a lot of circuit training as well as box fit stuff.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7328
    Spent months training for  10k when I was 21. Ran the race and finished it in an hour, then 6 years later I've never run since and I'm 4 stone heavier.
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    I've always been terrible at taking part in sports in general and running is a particular hate of mine so no.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    I was not a good runner- I'm better now than I've ever been, which is a nice feeling.